“Much nicer than its sister hotel next door”

Paradise Oceanic Hotel
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Toronto, Canada
“Much nicer than its sister hotel next door”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

If you are torn between this spot and the Paradise Ocean (it's sister hotel) next door definitely pick this one. The building is new and the rooms are much nicer in my opinion. More importantly it is safer. At this hotel all the balconies are private - where as next door you can walk across patios and there were theft and peeping Tom problems at the other property. I changed to the Oceanic after a few nights at the older property next door. This place has a nice roof top terrace and bar with a dipping pool. Nice to watch sunsets - although the bartender would sometimes blast some awful music when we arrived - I think he thought he was improving the ambience but he was actually killing it : ) One note - the elevator was broken ALL week so if you can't climb stairs then watch out - this is a developing country and stuff is always breaking down. Finally do NOT take the All Inclusive package! The food in the package is a buffet horror. We stopped eating after 3 days, it was just gross. The beach on the other hand was great - lots of chairs and nice soft sand, no rocks - you can swim laps like a pool. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Fourth floor and up has a view of the ocean
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank ElleFlaneur

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Roatan, Honduras
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Breakfast was never ready by 7:00 am. Transportation was a joke. It's says it free.. not. Beach towels are hard to fine. Will not stay there again.
Dinners were good. Pizzas good. Bartenders were fine. Maid service was good.

Room Tip: The scuba diving was good.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank winter25
Vancouver
Reviewed January 30, 2014

First of all, I loved Roatan!!! Just left today and will be going back many times in the future. Beautiful island.
As for the Paradise Oceanic......the hotel it self was very nice. Newly built, small room with just a garden view. However no clock or coffee maker and shower very small. We did not go with the all inclusive program but the meals at the beach bar were excellent.

What made our stay frustrating was dealing with the fellow at the front desk. Our transfer from the airport did not show and we had to take a cab. We were reimbursed a few days later. Water bottles were not replaced every day and when we ask for more he told us to fill our empties in the restaurant. No problem but it would have been nice to be told this upon arrival. The internet was 10.00 per day. Renewing this was painful as he had no idea what he was doing. Checking out was similar. We did this the night before as we had a 5:30 am check out. After half an hour e struggling he told us to pick up our receipt in the morning. We asked for a 5 am wakeup call. As you can guess, we did not receive it. Thank goodness my husband just happened to wake up. We went to the office to pick up our receipt and transfer to the airport and there was no one to be found. One of the security guards finally called the transfer company for us. A complete nightmare.
I will be going back to Roatan but not sure about staying at this property. It's sad as overall it was a nice place.

Room Tip: We had a room ground level near the front door. Bad mistake as it was noisy. One level up would ha...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pmclean
Milton, Canada
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Just spent 1 week on this hotel and love it. All staff are friendly and make every effort to please you. Everyone speaks English. For 2 nights the buffet did not offer fish, I asked the chef and he made a delicious grilled fish in 10 min. The food was good, but very Canadian.The rooms are new and clean, bathrooms nice too. The location is great, the beach is perfect. The only thing I did not like was the white wine, it gave me a headache - its a very cheap wine. At the barbecue on the beach night, I asked the manager assistant Rosangela to sell me a glass of another wine, they had the bottle open, I saw it before I asked her, but she refused. I did not want to buy the whole bottle for 40 dollars, but just one glass a night. I would go back for sure, but I will bring my good white wine with me for the week ! Special thank to Fernando, Cindy, Karina, Yolany, Joana and Irma they made my stay great.

Room Tip: I stayed at 308 at Oceanic. Great room, spacious and silent. All rooms are good, I visited my friend...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Tristana2812
Toronto, ON
Reviewed December 17, 2013

OK, the skinny on this place first from a diver who went on a dive vacation with friends in our 30's-40's...this property is underrated. For a VERY reasonable price, through providers such as SunWing, you get a gorgeous and very clean property, the nicest beach in West Bay, amazing shore dives and snorkeling at your feet, a great dive shop (Paradise Divers) and competent food and drinks. You do not get fancy pools, high end a la carte dining or much nightlife. If you are looking for a lush tiki bar kind of hotel, with solid basic amenities, good food, plentiful drinks and cold beer, with amazing diving, you won't be disappointed. I suggest the Paradise Oceanic building as the rooms are like new and there is a nice rooftop patio with a small pool, a bar and great loungers. This is a 4 story building and the elevator will likely be out, so keep that in mind for those who do not want stairs to deal with. Our 4th floor room provided a nice view of the ocean about 100 m in the distance, however, you will climb 8 sets of stairs several times a day...not a bad way to counter the food and drink.

Sooo, bottom line, this place will not disappoint if you are not looking for 4 or 5 star. Travellers complaining about this property should move next door to Infinity and pay 2 X for the same beach :). Now for the fat.

The beach is killer, sandy bottom, usually calm, water is clear, powder sugar sand and safe. While the beach itself is only maybe 30' deep, the security guard keeps vendors at bay (massage?, massage?, massage?…gets annoying) and there are lots of loungers and shade palapas/trees when you need it. There is no pool near the beach, you do not need pools with this ocean...like Turks&Caicos and Cayman, simply stunning water. Snorkel right our front or for better reef, start 50 m to the left and shore dive from the broken docks. Bar is 10-50' away, depending on where you lie and bartenders will deliver drinks to you...always nice on your lazy days.

Dive shop is great, Paradise Divers is 3 weeks new and Juan Carlos has it well put together already, very nice guy, he will plan all dives for you anywhere on the island. We did a few north side dives and Shark dive where the cruise ships come in...the shark dive was great, beware though of strong current some days, going down a 150' line in a 35 knot current is not for amateur divers or the faint of heart. Once down, amazing Caribbean reefers and black tips swimming within 3' - 5' of you. The staff at the dive shop wheel your gear to the beach/boat and assist with rinse and storage. Ricardo is a great DM/guide and will provide you with personal guided dives in small groups...I have been to many dive shops, these guys take great care of you and treat you like the paying customer you are!

The food is good, yes buffet, yes limited to 5 hot options, but it is good and tasty. There is a pizzeria (1 free a la carte a week) and another a la carte, we didn’t bother. Also for cash, there is a menu at the Beach Bar for lunch and dinner...good burgers and other grilled bar fare. Breakfast gets redundant, but it always does, there is an omlette station each day, fresh juice, fruit, yogurt etc. Not high end, but tasty and the chef and his assistant chefs are all great guys happy to make sure you get what you want. Beach bar b q Friday or Saturday night, tables right on the beach, romance your sweetie this night.

The grounds are very tropical, yes, some bugs, I don't get bit, some do...bring deet. Small property, small beach bar, very cozy, nice friendly bartenders, good blender drinks, they usually have fresh bananas and pineapple for daiquiris. Beer is cold and delish...Imperial, Port Royale, Barena...no Corona required, these aforementioned are in all-inclusive and very good beers. Bar rail vodka and dark rum were great, even Kaluha included!

The rooms in Oceanic are comfortable, yes smaller, with 2 doubles or a King, but nicely kept, with a small mini fridge and a modern bathroom, shower only, valuables safe, a closet with shelves, no dresser, who really cares? The cleaning staff are excellent, very considerate and conscientious...where else for this $$$ do they FOLD all your clothes on your last day, what a nice touch, I was 3/4 packed! Just remember, the lift may be "temporarily under maintenance" ;).

So for bang for your buck, I do not think you can go wrong. Walk to Infinity (left) or Bananarama (right), the immediate neighbours and your will see what 2X and 1.5X the money gets you to use the same beach. Lots of dining options if you walk right down the beach and different outdoor bars to visit at night.

Internet hint...Paradise charges $50 for the week and you can only have one user logged in on once device at a time...range decent on resort. Bananarama at front desk charges $10 (guest or not) for the week and it seems more than one user can be logged in at once. This will work for you at beach bar and on beach but NOT in your room...too far.

Roatan as a whole is primitive, riddled with garbage and crumbling roads, but worth the 4.5 hour flight for a change of pace. If adventurous, there are several bars/small clubs in West End, 10 minutes by cab, $10…locals and hippie expat DM’s mingling and hanging out on Thursday and Friday nights. Don’t cab or travel alone and you will be good. $40 US departure tax at airport in US or Limpira ($20 L =$1 US)...there is a bank machine at the mall on road 50 m from resort with a great variety store and a few small restaurants. Take ample US $ (ATM has $10 charge) and small bills help. :) Plastic is good at the restaurants, hotel and dive shop. Enjoy! I will be back!

Room Tip: All rooms in Oceanic are basically the same, all face the ocean, but you will need 3rd or 4th floor...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
16 Thank vballguitarguy
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I spent one week at this resort ( on an all inclusive basis). On the 3rd day there was a massive tropical storm and we had constant rain for 4 days with severe flooding on the property. Walking from our room to the restaurant we had to wade through a fairly high level of water. The hotel coped marvellously and in spite of the trying conditions the staff were friendly , outwardly did not show any stress (although i am sure they were under a lot of stress) and the hotel still managed to prepare decent meals. Staff worked around the clock during the heavy rain. There was a lot of damage to trees and a large amount of debris and garbage washed up on the beach. Even during heavy rain the staff were cleaning the beach, clearing fallen branches etc. Walking on the beach when the rain finally stopped I noticed this was the first hotel to have a clean beach and have beach chairs out.
I was extremely impressed with how the hotel handled this crisis.

The hotel is fairly new and about a minute walk to the beach.(It is not beach front). The grounds of this and the other property are nicely landscaped. Generally I would say as an all inclusive it is still work in progress. For instance, it would be nice to have be able to get a latte or capuccino at the bar. There is not possible since there is no machine. The bar on the top floor has such a nice view and during the storm it would have been nice to sip on coffee looking at the high waves. Also a TV in this bar would be nice. Martha at the beach bar makes one of the best pina colada I have ever had. I commented on how it was and she said it because she makes it with love. My husband was very interested in the pirate history of the island and from Allan he learnt a lot about it.

The staff really makes all the difference. It is obvious that there is great camaraderie and teamwork.They will really go the extra mile to help you . Mathias ( chef) is wonderful and cares a lot about the guests. He was always present at all meals checking to see if everything is O.K. I am still
amazed at the quality of the meals they were able to prepare under conditions since the road leading to the hotel was flooded so I am sure it was difficult to get supplies. The rain literally did not stop for 4 days and the hotel had several pumps going trying to get rid of the excess water with staff working in heavy rain,

The beach can become very crowded with people and vendors when the cruise ships are in . However, the cruise ships guests usually leave about 3.00 p.m.and then it's really pleasant. The ocean is warm and shallow. Not too far from the hotel (on the main road ) there is a small shopping centre with a small grocery store. Prices for snacks are high by North American standards it's best to pack some.

In spite of the adverse wether conditions I had a truly wonderful time at this resort . The friendliness and willingness of the staff really makes this place. The food was also better than I expected with different themes everyday so there was not a great deal of repetition which one often finds at all inclusives. Kudos to Mathias,Roger and the other kitchen staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bobbi96
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I went for our honey moon to this amazing island.
We had our doubts about this place because we had never been there before.
But all our doubts disappeared when we arrived in roatan. We live in Costa rica ( another beautiful holiday destination) but we loved Roatan,especially West Bay.We stayed at the Paradise Oceanic Hotel. A few steps from the beach and they have a great view and a rooftop pool where we were just the two of us... WAS AMAZING!!!
the first night we went down to dinner to the restaurant and all the tables were in the sand, in the beach and they had live music and candles and was so romantic.

WE loved our experience there.

The hotel have excellent crew and personal. And excellent transport.We asked a guy named Elias to take us on a tour in the whole island and he did it for 90 dolars in a van with A/c and was amazing we ate 2 lobsters, shrimps (not frozen shrimps, fresh from the sea), 2 fried fish, salad and french fries and 2 drinks for $40 !!!

we recommend ROATAN and Paradise Oceanic Hotel ----we cant wait to return there for our anniversary !!

(the only thing that we dont like was the elevator )

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple