“To be coveted; the only true 5 star in Roatan.”
Review of Xbalanque Resort

Xbalanque Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Montreal, Canada
“To be coveted; the only true 5 star in Roatan.”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We did an enormous amount of research before deciding to spend a week in October at the XBalanque resort (at the moment more of a boutique hotel, but in the process of expanding -- without sprawling). Several times a day we patted ourselves on the back -- it was an excellent decision. My boyfriend was previously more of a backpacker kind of guy, whereas I prefer luxury and comfort, and having traveled the world I can honestly say that XBalanque is the best hotel I've ever stayed in. The setting is truly out of this world. Not only are the views breathtaking at every time of day or night, but the design of the hotel will wow anyone with an eye for architecture or aesthetics. Patsy not only designed a stunning and discreet hotel (though oustanding enough that anyone who shared a water taxi with us swooned with envy whenever we pulled up to the dock), but she also curated is with some truly breathtaking artworks, most of them from her trip to Indonesia.

We stayed in the one bedroom suite and, while we almost opted for a larger room for the sake of more space, we were happy with the decision we made and never once felt cramped or claustrophobic in our room. The room was well-equipped, and very well insulated; we couldn't hear a thing outside, and with that tremendously comfortable bed, this makes it altogether too easy to sleep in and opt for an afternoon dive instead of the early morning dive. The exceptional security at the hotel also contributed to many peaceful nights of sleep.

Patsy's partner, Marco, met us at the hotel and drove us first to the grocery store to pick up a few essentials, and then to the hotel. He showed us our room, where we were greeted by a nice bottle of red wine and about a dozen fresh Honduran bananas (the best bananas I've tasted in my life). We left our bags and immediately went to the dining area where Pedro had already prepared us a pitcher of fresh juice, and then he made us a delicious dinner -- the first of many that we enjoyed during our stay.

The food at XBalanque is so fine, and the setting is so breathtaking, that leaving the hotel for dinner elsewhere in Roatan begins to feel odd. You nearly expect the dining options on the rest of the island to correspond somehow to what and where you eat at the hotel -- but really even at the best restaurants we ate at outside the resort (Oasis made excellent green curry chicken, as well as a wonderful lamb vindaloo), they nonetheless fall short where ambiance is concerned. We made the mistake of eating out once or twice on the beach in West Bay, but all the menus really do seem to offer the same deep fried bar grub no matter where you go. Eating the fresh meals prepared specifically and carefully for us by Pedro spoiled us immediately and ever since. I'd like to note here, too, that I have celiac disease and have been gluten-free for two and a half years. I mentioned my condition to Patsy and to Pedro and they took excellent care in the selection and preparation of my meals and I was well-fed and symptom free.

We intended to dive more than we did, but enjoyed relaxing in the pool so much that we did it for hours every day before freshening up in the enormous and soothing shower and then dining in the moonlight. Some evenings we had a drink and shot the breeze with Patsy and Dennis who are both delightful company. The immediately felt like friends, talking with out about their travels and their professional and creative endeavours, their vision for the future of the hotel (which inspires us to plan another trip in the not-to-distant-future), books, our families -- you name it. Dennis also took us to the Pristine Bay Golf Club where they played 18 holes together while I lounged by a pool which does initially wow you with quite a view, but still doesn't compare to the chic, serene, and private pool I enjoyed (and preferred) so much at the XBalanque.

We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and look forward to more sunny days of pool lounging, and starlit nights with Patsy and Dennis over a glass of Scotch and their charming company.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank celesteofmontreal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Patsy and her staff at Xbalanque provide an experience unlike any other. From Delvin chopping down fresh coconuts or readying sea kayaks for an adventure to the reef, to Chef Pedro's fresh guacamole and plantain chips that meet you upon arrival from said adventure, this Roatan experience is second to none.

Everything at Xbalanque is done with your interest in mind. Patsy, Marco and staff cater to your needs and present a welcoming family atmosphere that radiate comfort. There are endless opportunities at the resort. You can relax in private, which for me was reading on the dock, or retreat to your remarkably designed room. The resort is positioned in a prime location allowing for exploration of West Bay Beach. Marco rose at dawn to take the boat out for fishing trips and Patsy and Chef Pedro planned island inspired meals.

After arriving home I had the hardest time expressing what a joyful and uniquely wonderful time I had while at Xbalanque. As I said, words cannot do this place justice. You must experience it to understand. If you're looking to visit the island, you can't go wrong here!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
xbalanqueresort, Owner at Xbalanque Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
It was our pleasure to have you as our guest at Xbalanque. We strive to make our guests feel
like a friend and to make their stay as stress free as possible. Roatan has such natural beauty that it is easy to find exciting things to do. I hope that we will see you again in the near future.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in August and we highly recommend this culinary, architectural delight! Incredible hospitality amidst beautiful, luxurious designer digs filled with original local and international artwork. At your doorstep: clear blue ocean water teaming with such a colorful variety of fish just a kayak's ride away to the reef. Foodies will especially be happy with daily feasts by resident chef Pedro! A real treat.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PegiV
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2013

When you have travelled extensively worldwide, and end up returning to the same place four times within the last 18 months, it means that this place enchanted you, it means that it feels like being home; this magical place to us is Xbalanque. This is the place to feel pampered like no other, from the direct services of the owners Patsy and Marcos, to the best 5 stars meals prepared by Chef Pedro, Xbalanque is once again the magical location that mixes luxury and state of the art services. Don’t miss it!!!!!

Room Tip: Decoration, armonic balance of the entire property makes you feel enchanted by the Xbalanque concept...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rigo D
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was looking for a getaway, a place to unwind, for a couple of days and a friend had stayed here and recommended it and I couldn't have been happier. Patsy and her staff are welcoming and friendly and available without being intrusive. Pedro, the chef, is excellent and makes fresh meals daily. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed with quality furniture and appliances and is very tastefully decorated. And, unlike most places, the beds are comfortable. The place just exudes a welcoming, calming vibe. Everything you want to do is within a few minutes, including fishing, diving (which is excellent as the reef is only 1/2 mile off shore) and island night life. Nothing is over priced or under delivered. I will definitely go back - often.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Timpapp
Washington D
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I just returned from my second stay at Xbalanque and cannot praise the location, amenities, staff and experience enough. Whether it was kayaking in the surf, snorkeling on the immaculate reef, drinking a homemade mojito in the beachfront pool or enjoying a freshly prepared meal, every expectation was exceeded. In addition to the "resort" qualities of Xbalanque, the open atmosphere allows you the ability to enjoy drinks/meals/activities with the other guests of the property... granting a rare and intimate opportunity to meet unique travelers. Of course, you can have as much privacy as you'd like in your sprawling modern condo. The location is a short walk to both the white sands of West Bay and the shopping of West End. You may also go off property and explore the island, as I did on the Black Pearl Golf Course (designed by Pete Dye).

I cannot stress enough the sort of rare experience the resort offers. Whether it be relaxation or dynamic activity, or an individualized mixture of each... Xbalanque is the ideal spot on the island paradise of Roatan.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Graham B
Paris, France
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This deluxe, modern, zen-style boutique hotel is a little oasis of charm amid the vast, standard wasteland of generic rooms available for the weary traveler in Roatan, Honduras. It is immediately clear upon arrival that great planning, artistic creativity, architectural design and just plain thoughtfulness were the inspiration behind this unique concept.

For those of you who have stayed in upscale accommodations on a regular basis, you can attest to the fact that architecture and design alone don't make the stay, at all. In fact, the hotel structure itself may even become the object of loathing if you are not welcomed, your food is disgusting or the rooms are dirty. Am I right? Of course! So, I can wholeheartedly recommend Xbalanque (by the time you leave you will know how to pronounce, spell, write this word as well as be able to recount the mythology underlying this tongue-twister :) on a basis that truly counts and that is one of HOSTING.

Miss Patsy and Marco are the marvelous and gracious hosts of this property, Xbalanque. As I have personally traveled extensively worldwide for my work and have stayed in a mind-boggling number of properties, in all ranges and themes spanning many countries, I know directly that there are many people in hospitality who just shouldn't be there. Sorry, it's true.

Conversely, on rare occasions, you meet people who are not just accidentally at their posts but seem to have almost a genetic predisposition to their vocation because it comes so naturally to them to do what they do. Such is the case in this scenario- Miss Patsy and Marco will host you naturally, with ease and with pleasure. They truly want to share the charm of the island with you and enhance your travel experience in any way they can with their own knowledge, resources and skills. In my humble opinion IMHO, THIS is what makes this place and not the structure...nevertheless, the hotel is esthetically beautiful.

On a final note, as I am a chef with a high standard for food preparation to compare to my own, I can tell you that the food is great. It's creative, fresh, well-plated and nourishing. Great pride is taken by Pedro in his work as the chef. His wife, Kilian works along side of him and is a veritable tortilla factory unto herself - no press necessary, it's all handmade! The menu here will accommodate special needs and dietary styles which is also a bonus and not available as an option at many hotels.

Sporting equipment and many extras are available for you at this hotel without charge which also makes it more affordable on a relative scale, compared with other hotels charging for every single thing you use and do.

If this review resonates with you, don't hesitate to book this hotel and I would encourage you to book with them well in advance to ensure a place as it is a boutique style hotel with fewer rooms than many of the larger hotels. You won't be disappointed.

Michelle, the Superfood Chef

(Note: If this review is helpful to you in any way, please give the feedback to Trip Advisor -helpful review button plz, as I am a regular contributor and thank you for taking the time to read my review)

Room Tip: There is a open air rooftop with comfortable lounge chairs to gaze at the starry skies before bed- d...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
The Beach House
#4 of 8 in West End
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort
Bananarama Beach and Dive Resort

Been to Xbalanque Resort? Share your experiences!