“WOW! Great location, incredible staff, beautiful, luxurious property!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Xbalanque Resort

Xbalanque Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Chicago, Illinois
“WOW! Great location, incredible staff, beautiful, luxurious property!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

WOW is the first word my husband and I used to describe the property at Xbalanque. We recently spent 5 nights here as the first part of our honeymoon.
Situated right on the beach in between and walking distance to both West Bay (5-10 minute walk) and to West End (longer, trickier walk, about 15-20 minutes or a very easy water taxi) this is truly the best spot to stay on the island if you are looking for something high-end. The property is modern and decorated beautifully, everything from the beautiful infinity pools to the indoor/outdoor dining area to the rooftop hosts inviting furniture. I could rave about the beautiful property, gorgeous and comfortable suite (we stayed in Jaguar overlooking the pool/beach) and amenities such as the free kayaks and snorkel gear, but the true gem of this hotel is the staff. We did not get a chance to meet Patsy and hope to next time, but felt incredibly well-taken care of in the hands of Marco and the rest of the staff. Marco oversees the property and went above and beyond in taking care of us. He not only drove us to and from dinner when we didn't eat at Xbalanque, but made sure we had everything we needed at all times.
The caretakers, Delvin & Selbi, were incredibly nice and kept the property, pool and beach perfeclty clean the whole time even though my husband and I were the only guests. Pedro the chef was beyond friendly and warm and his food was delicious and inventive. He is a well trained chef and the real treats are his breads and pasties.
Honestly, we could go on and on about the staff and hotel, but I implore you to choose this hotel for your stay on Roatan. We met some warm and friendly people, had impecable service,
when it was time for us to leave and go elsewhere, we wished we could have spent our whole trip at Xbalanque.
While we stayed there we spent 2 full days diving via West End Divers at Patsy's recommendation and were very pleased with the dive op. We also spent a few days just taking out the kayaks and snorkeling around the reef just a few hundred yards outside the hotel. We did attempt to swim out to the reef once, and it is pretty far so kayaking was easier and only took a few minutes.
Please, do yourself a favor and stay at Xbalanque!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the rooms in the building overlooking the main pool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jaclyn W
xbalanqueresort, Owner at Xbalanque Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience! I am disappointed that I did not get to meet you and hope to be there on your next trip. Marco get me posted on your activities and thoroughly enjoyed your company. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful staff and hearing good comments from guests encourages them to become even better.
I wish you the best with your new life together and hope that you will return to Xbalanque for an anniversary.

Best of luck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

To echo what every other reviewer has said, Xbalanque is amazing. I just returned from a seven day stay that surpassed my expectations in every way. If you are seeking a 24-hour party and a lively bar scene, this isn't the place for you. If you're looking for tranquil luxury and amazing surroundings? THIS PLACE IS FOR YOU. Imagine you have a warm, caring aunt with a gorgeous mansion on a gorgeous beach. Imagine your aunt graciously invites you and ensures your every need is attended to with the best of the best. You'll have an idea of what a stay at Xbalanque is like.

Patsy and the manager Marco go out of their way to make every guest feel like family, without being obtrusive in any way. As an example, my husband mentioned wanting to try lionfish. She found the best place on the island that serves it, and personally drove us there to have dinner one night. Her company was delightful, but she never imposed on our romantic alone time.

While it is definitely a high-end property, the costs were reasonable. While the room cost may be a lot for some, it was worth every penny to experience the impeccable decor, service and location. Patsy also graciously upgraded our suite and it was hands-down, the most beautiful place I've ever stayed on a vacation. I say that having frequented Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, Aria SkySuites and many other luxury brands and properties. Patsy has an eye for design that is beautiful without being overwrought or stuffy. Each suite is full of unique furniture and finishes that work together to relax your senses.

When it comes to food, the pricing was more than fair. For two people to have breakfasts, lunches and dinners for seven days, including alcoholic drinks of our choice and menu items like lobster? We spent just over $700. Try that at a Four Seasons or other comparable property. Incredible and DELICIOUS value. Chef Pedro has the most warm and friendly demeanor, and made some of the best food I have EVER tasted. You MUST have the ribeye, lobster chowder, shrimp spring rolls, shrimp tempura, wahoo, snapper... Basically, anything he makes will be exceptional. He's a gem. He uses the freshest ingredients and created a varied menu that never got stale or boring. Something as simple as the welcome fruit punch was delightful and unlike anything I'd ever tasted before.

Xbalanque has a full staff of caring people to ensure your every need is met. Irma (housekeeping), Sean (bartender), Delvin and everyone else always had a smile and a quick response to any request. Ask Sean to make you the "Sean." It's a delicious mixed drink with a secret recipe.

While the property is so beautiful you could easily never leave and still have a great vacation, get out and see the great island that is Roatan. Xbalanque will graciously help you arrange any outings including diving, dining, drivers and beauty services. Every vendor we worked with through them provided exceptional service and value. Try West End Divers, visit Little French Key (INCREDIBLE PLACE TO PLAY WITH SPIDER MONKEYS AND BABY JAGUAR CUBS) and dine at Lionfish Louie's.

After a busy day, get some of the best rest you'll ever have in the wonderful beds at Xbalanque. Seriously. Most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.

Honestly? GO. If you're even considering it, GO. I'm convinced it is the best place on the island.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank SublimeSplendor
It was a true pleasure meeting both of you. Thank you for sharing your yoga practices with me and the other guests. It was great! The rewards of the business is meeting wonderful people like you and that I hope is the start of a new friendship Please keep in touch and I will see you in Boulder.

Patsy
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We just returned from the most beautiful, exotic, restful and "amazing on every level", trip to Roatan and specifically to the Xbalanque Resort. This beautiful boutique hotel met and exceeded our every wish!
The architecture, the gorgeous contemporary furnishings, the art, the pools, location, rooftop decks, food and drinks are only topped by the graciousness of owner Patsy and her attentive and professional staff. We felt instantly as if we were extended family members welcomed by memorable plantains and guacamole and refreshing hibiscus tea. Pedro is a gifted chef and continued to delight our palate with extraordinary offerings from Xbalanque's private restaurant throughout the week of our visit. Our snorkeling experience (located just in front of the hotel and accessed by the sea kayaks and snorkeling gear provided) was just gorgeous - tons of brilliant fish, colorful coral in every imaginable shape and size - thrilling! We enjoyed an evening of fire dancers, we lit extraordinary "wish lanterns" one night that floated out beyond the pier (complete with palapa and hammocks) and Patsy even assisted in making sure we enjoyed a golfing day at the new and manicured Black Pearl golf course. One early morning we practiced yoga in a lovely space on the beach to the sounds of the birds and softly lapping water and cooled by a gentle breeze. Nirvana!
If a tranquil setting, gracious, genteel hospitality and unbelievable beauty is on your vacation wish list, this is the place! Sweet, nurturing energy from Patsy and her staff supported a wonderful and romantic experience for us. We have told everyone who inquires about our trip-that magic exists at Xbalanque and we strongly hope to arrange for another visit early next year! Jolie and Paul

Room Tip: They are all magnificent! Beautiful views, quiet, immaculate!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

When my girlfriend and I came upon Roatan, as a tropical destination to celebrate our 12 year anniversary, we researched through a great deal of the islands diverse accomodations, from full on resorts to quaint cabinas; Xbalanque quickly found its way to the top of our list. From what we could see on the internet, it looked like the perfect place to spend our week in Roatan and let me tell you IT WAS!
The moment we arrived in Roatan, Patsy was waiting there to drive us to Xbalanque, happy to answer any questions we had about the island or our accomodations and right away made us feel at home. Seeing the property for the first time, walking through the indoor/ outdoor lobby into the bar and pool area, I realized that the internet images had not even begun to highlight how beautifully and thoughtfully done Xbalanque really is.(It didn't hurt that Patsy had crispy handmade plantain chips with fresh guacamole and hibiscus tea waiting for us at the bar) I could go on and on about the amazing roofdeck over looking a 360 view of crystal blue splendor, Patsy's keen sense of organic interior design that seamlessly weaves interior/exterior spaces, the swaying hammocks on the dock, the refreshing infinity pool,....but let me besure to say this: the private chef Pedro and the rest of the staff (Sean, Delvin, etc) are incredibly kind, gracious, and most importantly amazing at their jobs. They make you feel warm and welcome and Pedro's food is truly a culinary delight.
We chose Roatan partially because of its amazing reef system and the ability for us to obtain our PADI open water dive certification and after a long day of diving and hanging out in the West End it was such a sense of peace to know we had our immaculate suite at Xbalanque to come home to for a good night's rest. A week went by way too fast and we can't wait to return for our next Roatan/Xbalanque adventure. I can't say enough great things about this place it truly exceeded my expectations! .
The only "downsides" of our visit, were the insects (the noseeums and the mosquitos) and the intensity of the sun. Both are easily remedied with deet lotion and sun protection. I learned the hard way by not judiciously applying both the first day, and found myself looking like an itchy speckled lobster. After making applying and reapplying sunscreen and deet a daily ritual the bugs and sun ceased to be a problem and I was left to enjoy paradise.

2 Thank Ben S
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to experience Xbalanque Resort and I didn't think it could possibly get any better. I was wrong. This place blows me away. It's constantly improving with new, amazing possibilities. The cuisine, the drinks, the adventures, and, most importantly, the people! I haven't had that much fun in a long time. I look forward to my next visit in the (hopefully) not so distant future. Thank you for having us!!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

This was my first time in Roatan and feel blessed to have experienced Xbalanque. This is truly a special place. A first visit which will have to be repeated! I traveled with my 14 yr son.

Xbalanque is the place for anyone wanting relaxation and tranquility. Immaculate, comfortable rooms, the convenience of a well equipped kitchen, lovely well manicured landscaping and flowers all around. The property is tranquil, suites are top notch, modern furnishings, stunning infinity pool, spectacular view, and the VIP treatment from the staff definitely exceeded our expectations. Patsy, the owner has put her heart into the property and it shows. We cannot say enough about your warm, friendly service.

Totally serene, quiet, and peaceful. Keep in mind, if you are looking for a place bustling with tourists, fighting for pool or ocean chairs at 6 am, lots of staff everywhere, game rooms, etc. . . you are in the wrong place.

Fabulous dinners from her amazing chef, Pedro. Patsy arranged surprised entertainment several evenings. One night - a fire dancer came and performed! There was so many special moments during our one week stay. One morning, she arranged a yoga class under her beautiful pavilion with an incredible view of the ocean. She also invited us on her fishing yacht and took us on an amazing snorkeling adventure near Hog Island. Patsy is very intuitive, and plans special "surprises" based on her guests tastes and style.

This place is meant for those destined for a perfectly peaceful vacation. A perfect place to reconnect with loved ones and make new friends. The staff and owner, Patsy were "over-the-top" helpful in every way. Patsy personally picked us up from the airport and took us to the grocery store to stock up on items for our stay. My son didn't want to leave and already asked when we could go back and stay longer.

Location: It is an easy 15 min walk to West Bay and a 20 min walk to West End or a short inexpensive 2 min water taxi ride from her private pier.

Activities we did: Diving, fishing, snorkeling, kayaking, and swimming with the dolphins. Patsy easily arranged all of our request.

Other helpful tips: Bring strong bug spray! 99% Deet is a must! Explore the West End for sunset (The local Sundowners Bar at Half Moon Bay was a blast!)

Can't wait to return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ivonne713
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is where we wanted to be! After stumbling upon Xbalanque during a walk down the beach, this lovely boutique hotel was calling our name! We had unfortunately booked and checked into a larger all inclusive type resort that was not meeting our expectations. Patsy graciously gave us a tour of the grounds and room available. We fell in love! Wonderful modern furnishings, beautiful pool, bar and restaurant. We came back(they picked us up at our hotel and drove us back!) that evening for a fabulous dinner with our adult children and they to fell in love with the tranquility and customer service! Alas, we were not able to get out of our other accommodations to finish out our stay in Roatan at Xbalanque as we wished. Please consider this wonderful establishment and we look forward to our next stay in Roatan being with Patsy and her wonderful staff!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
#3 of 5 in Sandy Bay
The Beach House
The Beach House
#4 of 7 in West End

Been to Xbalanque Resort? Share your experiences!