“Paradise Found”
Review of Xbalanque Resort

Xbalanque Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in West Bay
Reviewed April 7, 2013

For my first trip to Roatan, Xbalanque was better than I could hope for! My husband and I visited over Semana Santa (week before Easter), which is known to be one of the busiest weeks in Roatan. We enjoyed being walking distance from all the action of West Bay and West End, but loved being able to retreat to the Xbalanque oasis and relax on the private beach and hang out at the beautiful pool right on the beach. The hotel is ideal for a young couple like us or families because it is really small and private, but there is all the action you need within a 10 minute walk.

I can't say enough about how helpful Patsy, the owner, is. She answered all my questions and helped to arrange activities before we even got there. She was there waiting at the airport for us. Throughout our trip she wanted to ensure we were happy and comfortable and did whatever possible to make our stay the best ever. The quality of the hotel really shows her commitment and fastidiousness, it so beautiful and clean.

The rooms are beautiful and the food and service was perfect. All the staff at Xbalanque are extremely helpful and friendly, they really do whatever they can to make your stay comfortable. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I hope to be back and bring more friends and family.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaitlinK_11

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is without a doubt the most beautiful hotel on the island. The location can't be beat...right on the beach between West Bay and West End. Water taxis run up and down the coast all day long for only $3 per person. The hotel is spectacular. There are 2 bedroom suites with kitchen, living and balcony, all incredibly luxurious. There is also a full house that can be rented for a large group or family. And there is one suite for two people that has a price tag less than most other hotels on the island. The infinity pool is right there alongside the beach, restaurant and bar. They have a private dock with hammocks under a Palapa. The staff is incredible and the owner couldn't be nicer. I arrived with a new camera but forgot a memory card. She ran to the store and bought me one! We tried many different restaurants but ultimately preferred Lotus at Xbalanque. The evenings are beautiful from the sunsets to the artistic lighting on the property. We enjoyed winding down at night in the hot tub. There is no doubt that this is the nicest and most beautiful hotel on the island.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have just returned from our first visit to Roatan and feel so lucky to have found this place. My husband and I travel a lot. We prefer luxury accommodations but without the glitz or crowds or price. I was having trouble finding anything like that in Roatan until I stumbled onto Xbalanque. We stayed our first three nights here but foolishly booked the last five nights at Paya Bay as we usually enjoy exploring an island. As luck would have it, Paya Bay lost our reservation even though it was prepaid in full. They gave us another room which we took only for one night then promptly checked out (see my Paya bay review). The next night, we were able to find availability at Palmetto. Nice but not Xbalanque. We were able to return to Xbalanque for the last three nights. It was heavenly. Now for the details...the property is comprised of three unique houses. Haleconia House sits about 30 yards behind and is great for larger groups and families. Then beachfront are two more houses side by side. They are more like hotel suites but can be combined if needed for larger groups. Our gorgeous suite had a bathroom, bedroom and kitchentte/sitting area + private patio for the same price as the run down room at Paya Bay. But there are also 2 bedroom suites with HUGE, and I mean HUGE, luxurious baths, beds, living, kitchen and patio. Finally, there is a spectacular infinity pool, hot tub, bar and restaurant all right there on the main level in front of the most beautiful beach with private dock and Palapa. This property could easily be on the cover of Architectural Digest. You are a $3 water taxi ride from either West Bay to the south or West End to the north. You can easily walk to West Bay in 10 minutes, West End not so easily. But the water taxis are plentiful. The reef is about 50 yards out and they have kayaks for the guests. The staff is fantastic as is the owner. The food at the restaurant was some of the best on the island though we totally enjoyed bumming around West End's wide selection too. The overall feeling at Xbalanque is one of peace and isolation yet not trapped with few options like other places. You can stay put or bop around as much as you want with very little effort. The other two resorts we experienced were much different in that once you conquered the menacing 8 or 10 km unpaved, pothole-ridden road (30 minute drive at least), you had no desire to turn around and do it again. Therefore, you better hope you like the menu at your restaurant because you're not going anywhere else! Xbalanque has it all...isolated yet close to everything, luxury yet not expensive, private villa yet hotel amenities. I would not stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hexacat
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is my second trip to Roatan and my second stay at Xbalanque Resort on Roatan Island off the mainland of Honduras. My first trip, I traveled with my husband, three teenage sons and my 80+ father. We stayed in one of the two luxury homes that are available. This time, my husband and I and three other couples spent a relaxing week in the newest homes that has suites for smaller parties. As mentioned by other reviewers, the owner, Patsy, has impeccable taste. Her attention to detail in conjunction with the beautiful location offered a serene escape perfect for a vacation and gathering with friends. Patsy makes it easy for you to enjoy what the Island has to offer. We kayaked and snorkeled to the reef just off the shore of our rooms. Patsy arranged for the fishing boat and guide to pick up our husbands from her dock. While our husbands golfed, we walked along the beach (we could have also taken the Water Taxi) and shopped and ate lunch at West Bend. One morning, Patsy arranged for a message therapist to come to her place to help us relax even more. A couple of days, we were perfectly content staying on-site taking advantage of the culinary talents of her chef and the services of her bartender in the evening.

My only regret is that I didn't get to stay longer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank NeverTooLateToGo
Reviewed March 22, 2013

It's impossible to write a review for Xbalanque that doesn't sound like a broken record. It is THAT amazing, BUT I can write about the ambience, the staff, the surrounding amenities, and especially the owners that will insure anyone the best vacation spot available.
Upon arriving, the guest is greeted by 'calming tranquility'. Patsy is an interior designer (among many other talents), and her goal was to create an oasis of beauty & peace. Her capable staff provides the background energy that completes the finished product. The yards are always manicured, the infinity pools are always pristine, and the details to cleanliness always surpass ANY expectations. Pedro, the on-staff chef, is as outstanding as a person as he is a culinary mastermind. We did eat out, but only to give Pedro a break before Xbalanque was expected to get very busy...and although the food in town was delicious, it was sub-par to Pedro's culinary delights!
While at Xbalanque, Patsy provides many toys for your entertainment. Kayaks & snorkeling equipment are complimentary, and fishing trips can be chartered directly through Xbalanque, where the boat meets you at Xbalanque's dock. Sunset cruises can be arranged & they are fabulous, as the sunsets are directly over the ocean in Xbalanque's 'backyard'. Arrangements can be made for any water activity provided on Roatan directly through Patsy. Other activities on the island include swimming with dolphins, parasailing, zip lining, horseback riding, and shopping at West End!
Patsy & Dennis, the owners, have created a paradise where guests can be totally removed from the busy world, but through wifi, can reconnect IF necessary. Rooms provide an additional get-away where appliances are available for cooking & washing clothes OR guests can lounge on your private ocean front porch, or catch up on your Z's in a temperpedic bed.
I can't complete the review without mentioning the green parrots, which grace the yard & complete the ambience...I love the whole Xbalanque experience, and I know you will too!

Room Tip: There are no choices...ALL the rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank cbbecky
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I recently spent 8 days at the Xbalanque resort on Roatan Island. I can't say enough. Aesthetically this is by far the most beautiful and well done resort on the Island. Patsy and Dennis are incredible. The chef -Pedro- wow- the food is fantastic. I can't say enough about this place. The rooms are comfortable and very high class- the atmosphere is relaxing- right on the beach-close enough to the crowds of WEst Bay and WEst End- you can walk there in 15 min. on the beach or water taxi in 3- yet far enough awaty to be peaceful and quiet.

I have traveled all over the world- and I would rank my experience with this place in the top 5- no doubt.

Jim
Illinois USA

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jim S
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Everything about this resort is better than words can even describe! We arrived on the island (in which we never had been) to be greeted by the owner, Patsy. She is an extremely pleasant and sweet woman that offered to take us to the grocery store on the ride back to Xbalanque. This started the week off with huge smiles on our faces - can you believe the owner escorted us to the grocery store???!!! On our beautiful mountainous ride back to the resort, she gave us some history of the island and pointed out major landmarks to view, but once we got back to the resort - Oh My God!!! Just absolutely beautiful, immaculately clean, very contemporary, unbelievably comfortable and Patsy's eye for design is nothing like I have ever seen!! We stayed on the 2nd story in the 2-bedroom, 2-bath unit, and it was awesome awesome awesome!! The room was decked out wiith a full sized kitchen with stainless steel, granite counter tops, marble floors - and it even had a full-sized washer and dryer! The beds were extremely comfortable, with each room having a rain-shower and the master a jacuzzi tub!
The owners and staff: 10 OUT OF 10!! The owners, Patsy and Dennis, really took the time to get to know you, and cater to your every need/want. We enjoyed their company so much, we had dinner with them 6 out of the 8 nights in Roatan at the on-site restaurant called "Lotus". In which I can't rave enough about - Raul, the cook, is amazing!! Cecilia, the bartender, also deserve a mention - just wonderfully pleasant!
Location: perfect mix between privacy and convenience. Water taxi's (during the daytime) can take you to West Bay or West End inside of 5 minutes for just $3.00 a person. They have on-site snorkeling gear, ocean kayaks, and everything you need to paddle out to the reef (about 200 yards away) for as much snorkeling as you can handle - and guess what - it was free!!! The view is absolutely breath-taking, with a Western view, hence making the sunset and the location that much more amazing!

As a quick mention - I had a problem with my ear from diving and Patsy personally took me to the clinic - most owners/managers would just send you in an over-priced cab!

I just cannot say enough good things about Xbalanque Resort - I absolutey would not even consider another place on Roatan because nothing will ever compare to our experience there! Choose Xbalanque - you won't be disappointed!!!!!

Room Tip: They are all amazing rooms!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cocolobo
Cocolobo
#3 of 9 in West End
Infinity Bay Spa and Beach Resort

Been to Xbalanque Resort? Share your experiences!