“Terrible rental equipment, fantastic divemasters”

TGI Diving International - Roatan Henry Morgan
Book In Advance
More Info
$294.00*
and up
SSI Scuba Diver Course in Roatan
Ranked #7 of 18 Tours in West Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: We are one of the biggest dive shops in beautiful West Bay. We have been working in Roatan for 12 years and are ALWAYS happy to meet new divers!
Toronto
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Terrible rental equipment, fantastic divemasters”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We dove with TGI Feb 13th to the 20th and the divemasters Lindey and Ruben were excellent. They encouraged everyone to dive slowly so that we could really take our time and see some of the things that could have been missed if the dive was was rushed. The reef is incredible and in excellent condition. The dive sites that they took us to were beautiful and had so many different types of coral, varieties of fish, lobsters crabs, morays, turtles and grouper. We sat down with Ruben one afternoon for about an hour and he has some excellent diving stories to tell and some great pictures to share. Unfortunately TGI doesn't maintain their gear and we ended up with 4 faulty pieces of equipment in the first day and a half. We had pre-booked through Sunwing so we couldn't just bail and go to another dive shop so once we found good gear we made sure we kept it and used it for the rest of the week. We returned each faulty piece and reported the problem and it would show up on the dive boat again the next day with another diver having the exact same problem. We told Oliver, the manager about it and he said that we must have had "the bad luck" and wasn't too concerned. We have most of our own equipment and only rent BCD's and Regulators. Because of this trip we are now going to buy BCD's and Regs so we don't experience this again. I'd recommend diving with Lindey and Ruben but only if you're bringing you own equipment. We are planning to go back to Roatan again in December because the diving was truly incredible.

Visited February 2012
6 Thank BarneysBud

Atlanta
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Experience was beyond expectations - Dive here”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed at Infinity Bay and used the onsite dive shop which is through TGI Diving. They were outstanding. The convenience, logistics, communications, options and process were easy. The boat was clean and maintained. The equipment all still pretty new, a few months old. The team members were well versed and ready to assist. Torri however was the divemaster who made my experience beyond fabulous. Torri demonstrated her dive master skills, customer service, and experience of the ocean in every moment of the process. My intent was to complete 2 dives while in Roatan just because you can snorkel incredible coral on the reef from the beach, however with Torri as the dive master I went 5 times. This is well worth it. I moved from Infinity for the 2nd part of my stay but continued to travel back to this dive group.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Julie E
Randolph, NJ
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Great divemasters, poor boat crew”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I was diving with a large group and got to dive with TDI several divemasters over the course of the week. I found them all fun, experienced and professional. Lindey was the best, he even volunteered to guide a shore night dive after hours!!!

Not so much with the boat crew and the shop staff. There were no tools on the boat. I needed to replace an o-ring in my reg. I had the o-ring, but didn't bring the tools expecting them to be on the boat. No luck on the boat. In the shop two people couldn't loan me a wrench, I had to wait for the manager.

The crew barely helped in gearing up and never in bringing gear on the boat, even though it required wading through the water to get to the boat (swimming in my case as I am short). They served fruit on the boat the first day, bur never again.

I dove with worse, less professional operations. But I also dove with better ones. As said before, the divemasters were SUPER, though.

Visited November 2011
4 Thank Anna_Sarah
San Diego
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good dive shop, skip the whale shark trip”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

TGI is a good dive shop that was very easy to work with. Lindey was our dive master for our group throughout our trip and he was super cool. He was good with our whole group who ranged from people that were just certified to those that have been diving for years. TGI seemed to have the nicest boats in West Bay, which made for comfortable rides (although very short - dive spots were a short 5-10 minute boat ride away).

My wife and I decided to go on the whale shark excursion. This is an all day boat trip to the waters around Utilia looking for whale sharks. The trip is organized between many of the dive shops. This trip was a waste of time and money (and it was expensive!). We went into it knowing that we may not see any whale sharks...which we did not. But that is part of the risk with these types of trips. Although disappointing, that wasn't the bad part. The bad part was the fact that we kept going around chasing "signs" of whale sharks. This ended up making a few people sick. The trip dragged on and felt like they were keeping us out so we felt like we got our money's worth. We would have been much better off heading back sooner. By the time we started heading back the wind had picked up (which is normal), making the trip back to Roatan miserable (and we both really enjoy being on boats). The annoying part was that the crew continued to act like the trip back wouldn't be a big deal or nearly as rough as it clearly was. There were multiple sick people on the trip back, hanging off the back of the boat getting pounded while being sick. Those of us that weren't sick were all holding on tight, trying not to get soaked or thrown around the boat (including the crew). As much as the trip may sound like a fun adventure, don't do it...unless you personally know that the wind will not pick up or will lay down in the afternoon. When we got back we were bummed and the rest of our group that didn't go went on what sounded like an awesome wreck dive that may have been their favorite dive of the trip.

Skip the whale shark trip and stick to the diving. TGI and Lindey were great and we don't hold the lame whale shark trip against them as a dive shop.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank jburnsSD
Las Vegas, Nevada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“The TEAM, the DIVES, the BOATS, the BEST!”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I can't say enough about the team at TGI Diving Henry Morgan....everyone was so knowledgable, friendly, professional, happy. The dives were fantastic!!! What made it even better was the dive team was able to communicate in Italian, Spanish, English and French so every diver had a complete understanding of what was going on. The instruction was first rate....I completed my Advanced Open Water and will be returning for my Dive Master training. Oliver, Kiara, Luca, Lindi, Arturo, Roberto just to name a few...and Andrea for helping get it set up for me...the entire staff of TGI and Henry Morgan is to be commended!

Visited July 2011