“Beach day in roatan”

Bananarama Island Activities Center
Ranked #13 of 19 Tours in West Bay
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I went to this resort for a beach day off a carnival cruise ship. The price was good, $40 for transport to the resot and use of facilities and snorkle equipment, and one drink. There is a nice bar and the monkey lala was great. The beach is OK, it is narrow and a stream of hawkers go by, offering massages, braiding, shells, etc. It is slightly annoying. The resort is clean with an excellent restaurant. The snorkeling was OK. There is a small reef just off shore at a neigboring resort. It took at least a half hour to get to the resort from Mahogany Bay. It was a nice change of pace from the ship.

All reviews
"clear water"
"lion fish"
in 38 reviews

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We spent half of our day at the Banarama Resort. We paid $10 for access to their facilities, beach, and a chair. Pretty much everywhere is going to charge you, so $10 isn't terrible. This is a good place to settle down for lunch. They have pizza, which looked REALLY good and also the Thirsty Turtle, which has all of your usual burgers, hot dogs, tacos, etc. We enjoyed our lunch, even though the appetizer came out after the meal (oy!). The location is very nice and right along the West Bay beach area. I believe the walk to the Tabyana area is pretty far. We chose not to walk it after realizing how far we would've had to go and all the people in the way to it. The water here at this beach is clear and beautiful though and you can see some fish. There is just no reef anywhere near the shore, unfortunately. After reading about this place beforehand, I was under the impression there was a reef within relatively small walking distance. Don't count on it. If you want to swim, tan, frolic, it's perfectly fine for that. There are boats waiting at this beach to take you out to the reef though, if you do want to snorkel or scuba. I don't know what they charge. Bananarama offers lots of activities including those tours, snuba, boat rentals, float rentals, kayaks, etc, etc, etc. Helpful hint - do not feel like you have buy your souvenirs here! Their gift shop is very small. I bought things there and found other places that were so much better at the port or even just outside Bananarama and regretted my earlier purchases. Spend your money wisely!

1  Thank L M
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Bananarama is a great excursion to consider, even if you only have one day. The cruise ships offer options for West Bay that are more expensive. When my husband and I got off the cruise ship, we met the van (Oscar) and made the short trip to West Bay. The Bananarama Resort was clean and very nice overall. Staff was courteous, helpful and there was security visible at all times. The beach is beautiful and the snorkeling is fantastic. My only complaint was the endless stream of "beach vendors" trying to sell their wares to you, even after you've said NO ten thousand times. The rope in place to stop the vendors from coming right up to you should have been placed one foot from the surf line!!! They are very annoying. If it wasn't for them, I would have given the resort a 5 star.

1  Thank Maraway2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Although we only spent a couple of hours here, the beach itself was magnificent. Most of us chose to snorkel. It was only $10 each and included the flippers. My daughter and I chose the paddleboard. She was much better at it than I was! It was something we had neither done and it was only $15 per hour. You could see so many fish everywhere. We saw numerous stingrays even when we weren't snorkeling. Although we didn't purchase any food, it all looked great as they brought it out and was very reasonably priced. I am certain that there was tons more to do than what we did, but the live music was definitely a bonus as we were just laying out on the beach! Great operation with wonderful staff!

1  Thank jwbdcb
See more reviews
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The beach at West Bay is probably the nicest on the island, and Bananarama is the heart of it all. They have beach bars and a pizzeria delicious frozen drinks but be prepared to wait awhile they are very busy. Live music and yard games are available in this casual dining atmosphere. You are also just feet away from booking any type of water excursion snorkeling, scuba, water taxi, or paddleboarding. Lots of cheap beach souvenirs from vendors all up and down the beach. A great way to spend the whole day.

1  Thank Kristie F