“Another Wonderful Experience with WBD”
Review of West Bay Divers

West Bay Divers
Ranked #1 of 18 Tours in West Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: West Bay Divers is a PADI 5 Star Dive Center located in beautiful West Bay, on the Island of Roatan. We dive on the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the second largest reef system in the world, home to over 95% of Caribbean marine species. At West Bay Divers we have earned a reputation of professionalism in the dive community by using high quality & well maintained Cressi rental gear, and staffing experienced dive professionals with a commitment to safety. With daily fun dives, snorkeling tours, PADI certification courses, and specialized Island excursions, we are sure to have something for everyone. Let us share our passion for the underwater world with you! Coming to Roatan on a cruise? Contact us to build you a personalized schedule to suit your group.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is the second time I have dove with this shop and they were great once again. I came with two guys last year and we did 15 dives with WBD. This year I brought my wife for our 10 year anniversary and she got her open water training done and finished her certification. We did 12 dives with them, (had to leave time for the dolphin action adventure at Anthony's Key) and really enjoyed our time. I recommend at least one night dive while you are there and the El Aguila wreck dive is great also.

2  Thank Travis A
There are newer reviews for West Bay Divers

Reviewed September 5, 2013

After researching several dive shops on Roatan, Honduras my friend and I decided to dive with West Bay Divers (West Bay). Their website promised high quality service, complete safety and small groups. It was a great decision. Our experience with West Bay Divers was all this and more.

For very reasonable rates, we had a packed week of diving which included a diversity of night, wreck, deep and drift dives. We also completed our Deep Diver Specialty course and partook in research conducted by part-owner of the shop, Malcolm Hobbs.

Throughout the week, we dove in small groups of three to five divers. The equipment was always assembled prior to our dive and very well-maintained. Our divemaster, Kieran Reese was exceptional. He was conscientious of our diving abilities and air consumption. Kieran clearly explained each dive before starting, and while underwater he took his time and enjoyed finding all sorts of hidden or unusual sea-creatures. We swam among the brightly coloured fan and brain corals carefully avoiding the stinging nettles of the scorpion fish and jellies. We marvelled at the sleek golden tail moray eel, the various speckled nudibranchs and wee bat fish while veering away from the gruesome grin of groupers and waving claws of giant crab.

A special thanks to Kieran and Malcolm as well as our boat captain, Norlan. Also, thanks to everyone else at the shop (Deb, Damien, Luke and Naomi) for making our trip to Roatan so enjoyable.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My friend and I did 11 dives in total with West Bay Divers and I can say that it was one of the best experiences I have ever had diving.

All of the staff were extremely friendly, helpful, professional and willing to go the extra mile to make our trip enjoyable and memorable. We did most of our dives with Kieran, who was a fantastic guide. We were able to dive at a slower pace than most places normally permit, so we were able to pay attention to a lot of the finer details of the reef.

With a stroke of luck and some skill from our DM, we were able to spot 3-4 Goldentail Moray Eels, a baby Batfish, an Eagle Ray, and a number of other less common creatures.

We were even as lucky as to have good weather for our last dive which took place off of the southern tip of Roatan where not many people get to dive as the conditions need to be just right.

The facilities were fantastic and the equipment was very well maintained which is nice to see as there are many places that don't maintain equipment.

I would highly recommend West Bay Divers to anyone looking at options in Roatan. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank aftereffect
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was one of my favorite diving experiences ever. I was a little nervous having not gone diving for a while, but by the end of the week I had taken two advanced classes and was really enjoying diving again. I plan to take more dive trips and when I come back to Roatan, I will definitely go with West Bay divers again. Good prices and friendly staff.

1  Thank cloud9er13
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is not hyperbole. Of course I haven't been diving with every shop in the Bay Islands, but I have gone out with many of them. I have known some of the staff and owners for years, before they worked here, and this shop exceeds the great places where I met them. Roatan is probably the best place in the world to learn to dive, and West Bay Divers is possibly (probably?) the best of these. Some are experienced with physically disabled people and some will soon have enough sign language skills to teach deaf divers.

This is not a big-resort type of operation with big, fancy boats, but rather a more intimate operation that invests its profits in safety rather than in flashy look-good.

*Equipment is impeccably maintained by some of the Caribbean's best dive gear techs.

*Staff and instructors are highly skilled, well-trained (many of them trained in this shop), caring, safety conscious, alert, and multi-lingual. (It's interesting to note that the only negative review complains about the extra care that the staff take to make sure that children and infrequent divers are safe. I almost always come up from shallow dives with half a tank of air, more if other divers are with me, and I would never complain about this. If the divemaster is managing my profile, they must be as concerned about my bottom time as they are about air [actually more concerned in my case, since they know I don't use much air!], and almost all experienced divers understand that the divemaster cannot abdicate this responsibility.)

*Super friendly staff with world-wide experience are fun to talk to.

*Small groups.

*Excellent value.

*Convenient location on great beach near great restaurant.

I <3 WBD !