“Professional and fun”
Review of West Bay Divers

West Bay Divers
Ranked #1 of 18 Tours in West Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: West Bay Divers is a PADI 5 Star Dive Center located in beautiful West Bay, on the Island of Roatan. We dive on the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the second largest reef system in the world, home to over 95% of Caribbean marine species. At West Bay Divers we have earned a reputation of professionalism in the dive community by using high quality & well maintained Cressi rental gear, and staffing experienced dive professionals with a commitment to safety. With daily fun dives, snorkeling tours, PADI certification courses, and specialized Island excursions, we are sure to have something for everyone. Let us share our passion for the underwater world with you! Coming to Roatan on a cruise? Contact us to build you a personalized schedule to suit your group.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Professional and fun”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was one of my favorite diving experiences ever. I was a little nervous having not gone diving for a while, but by the end of the week I had taken two advanced classes and was really enjoying diving again. I plan to take more dive trips and when I come back to Roatan, I will definitely go with West Bay divers again. Good prices and friendly staff.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank cloud9er13

Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best place in the Bay Islands to learn to dive, maybe in the world. Absolutely the best value for a disabled diver.”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is not hyperbole. Of course I haven't been diving with every shop in the Bay Islands, but I have gone out with many of them. I have known some of the staff and owners for years, before they worked here, and this shop exceeds the great places where I met them. Roatan is probably the best place in the world to learn to dive, and West Bay Divers is possibly (probably?) the best of these. Some are experienced with physically disabled people and some will soon have enough sign language skills to teach deaf divers.

This is not a big-resort type of operation with big, fancy boats, but rather a more intimate operation that invests its profits in safety rather than in flashy look-good.

*Equipment is impeccably maintained by some of the Caribbean's best dive gear techs.

*Staff and instructors are highly skilled, well-trained (many of them trained in this shop), caring, safety conscious, alert, and multi-lingual. (It's interesting to note that the only negative review complains about the extra care that the staff take to make sure that children and infrequent divers are safe. I almost always come up from shallow dives with half a tank of air, more if other divers are with me, and I would never complain about this. If the divemaster is managing my profile, they must be as concerned about my bottom time as they are about air [actually more concerned in my case, since they know I don't use much air!], and almost all experienced divers understand that the divemaster cannot abdicate this responsibility.)

*Super friendly staff with world-wide experience are fun to talk to.

*Small groups.

*Excellent value.

*Convenient location on great beach near great restaurant.

I <3 WBD !

Visited January 2013
1 Thank CatAT0nia
North Las Vegas, Nevada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Excellent Dive Shop & People”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I went to West Bay for a family vacation and chose West Bay Divers based on a recommendation from the property manager of the house we were staying in. She knew her stuff as we were very pleased with the operation and also fortunate that it was about a one minute walk from where we were staying. We actually ended up doing our advanced open water upgrade so we could do some deeper dives, like wreck dives etc., and were very happy with the service offered. The facilities were clean, inviting, and modern. I would highly recommend!

1 Thank Mwolczak
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great staff, new equipment, relaxed but professional outfit”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Having scouted a few dive shops in both West Bay and West End I immediately felt at home at West Bay Divers. There was no hard sell like some of the other shops and I felt the experience was tailor-made for our requirements.
I took 4 dives and had 3 different instructors, all of who were excellent and made me feel part of the team. Each pre-dive plan was clear and thorough so I felt completely at ease and confident in the water. The staff always checked the equipment, which was mostly very new, and carried it to the boat/site meaning we had little to worry about and just enjoyed ourselves. I also noticed that each time I went to the shop the staff and instructors made the effort to chat so I felt they were genuinely friendly and passionate about their work rather than just seeing me as a customer.
I would highly recommend West Bay Divers for all ages and abilities and would have spent much longer diving with them if time had allowed.

1 Thank Jo T
Tampa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“West Bay Divers - check the dive master beforehand”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We originally booked a 5 dive package for a 6 person family. We were impressed with the good reviews and our interaction with the personnel on the desk.

When it came to our first dive we learned that it would be a shore dive from the beach in front of the dive shop. We were a bit disappointed with this but accepted it so that the dive master could become familiar with our abilities. However our dive master appeared bored with this dive (she has probably done it hundreds of times previously). She was very disconnected from us and appeared to be just going through the motions. It was also very rushed - we all finished the dive with about half a tank of air left. But the deal breaker was the complete lack of interpersonal skills.

That 40 minute dive cost us $280 - a fair price if it was an outstanding dive, but in the end we felt ripped off. We took our business to another (smaller) dive shop on West Bay where we had a truly outstanding experience with a terrific dive master. I would recommend vetting your prospective dive master before signing up, to see if they are a good fit.

4 Thank BananaDonuts
WestBayDivers, Owner at West Bay Divers, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your dive experience with us. We try our best to please every customer and 99% of the time this is the case. But we also aim to make the dive as safe as possible and have certain guidelines which we are required to follow. I was the person behind the desk that spoke to you and I am a little surprised at the poor review.

We always do the first dive with every customer at Mandy's Eel Garden from the shore. This dive site is considered to be one of the best reef dives in West Bay and happens to be in front of our shop. Hence we can do it from the shore, whereas other shops have to use the boat mooring. The outer reef in Roatan is exceptionally close so by doing it from the shore we still reach the outer reef and see the same wildlife and coral as any boat dive.

Doing the first dive from the shore we can also easily get customers properly weighted and comfortable in the shallows before the dive - a less stressful experience than the boat. In this case there were 3 children/teenagers in the group that had not dived for approximately 1 year so the shore dive was even more prudent and necessary in this case.

All our dives are around 40-45 minutes long, a typical time period for most dive shops, although we will give longer if possible. Mandy's is a shallow dive site and the young ages of some of the divers restricted the allowable depth so we would expect customers to have quite a lot of air left at the end. We do not think the aim of a dive should be to run a tank as low as possible. Our prices are fair and comparable to other west bay shops and Roatan is one of the cheapest places to dive in the world.

I apologise if you did not interact well with the Divemaster. I cannot say what occurred on the dive itself but she is highly experienced, very friendly, and is lauded on many of the reviews on this site. I hope other potential customers will take those into account. If you are ever back on Roatan we would be happy to take you diving again and try and change your opinion and I would even take you diving myself in order to ensure that you had a good time.

Best Regards