“Great Scuba Diving Certification Experience”
Review of West Bay Divers

West Bay Divers
Ranked #1 of 18 Tours in West Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: West Bay Divers is a PADI 5 Star Dive Center located in beautiful West Bay, on the Island of Roatan. We dive on the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the second largest reef system in the world, home to over 95% of Caribbean marine species. At West Bay Divers we have earned a reputation of professionalism in the dive community by using high quality & well maintained Cressi rental gear, and staffing experienced dive professionals with a commitment to safety. With daily fun dives, snorkeling tours, PADI certification courses, and specialized Island excursions, we are sure to have something for everyone. Let us share our passion for the underwater world with you! Coming to Roatan on a cruise? Contact us to build you a personalized schedule to suit your group.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our family of 7 (two adult parents, two 21 year olds, 13 year old, 12 year old, 10 year old) completed our open water certification with West Bay Divers over the holidays. We had a great experience! Our instructors, Deb and Naomi, were so patient with our children and made them feel comfortable with all of their skills. My 10 year old was very nervous, but Deb and Naomi both worked with him at different times and were very understanding that he was only 10! The reefs were beautiful and we all feel like we have been spoiled by being trained in such a lovely underwater environment. We all highly recommend this company for your dive experience. You won't be sorry!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I did my Open Water certification at West Bay Divers and had an amazing experience! First of all, before leaving for Roatan, I did a ton of research and picked the shop in advance. This was a great decision because they knew I was coming and all my dives were already sort of scheduled.

The staff is amazing: everyone is super-friendly and made me feel at ease. Malcolm was really quick replying to my emails, and Luke was very welcoming. I ended up having my personal instructor (Nick) the entire time and managed to complete all the required pool and open water dives in only 2.5 days even though I was taking my time at the pool.

So if you are shopping around for a dive shop, you should definitely consider West Bay Divers.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

I would highly recommend the West Bay Divers! The experience was great! I was getting certified to be an open water diver and was a little nervous, but our instructor Deb was great. She made everyone in our group feel very comfortable and explained everything thoroughly. I'm so glad we had her as our instructor and would recommend her to anyone who wants to dive but is apprehensive about it. Thanks for the great experience!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I went there to do my Open water and ended up taking the advanced back to back. The staff is amazing in service and instructions. They helped me go from non-diver to a confident diving addict.
Best part about the diving aside from their dive site knowledge is that we went out in small boats, that to me is important as you can enjoy more in smaller groups and connect with your dive master.
Their calm, easy going and professional attitudes already have me planning a trip back there to further my diving experiences/qualifications.

I recommend this wonderful shop to any divers. If not a diver why not try the discover scuba ! Who knows...?

1  Thank Patrick S
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I am an occasional diver with about 35 dives. I dive when I am south and I have had some real cowboy divemasters. That is NOT the case with West Bay Divers. Luke George, one of the owners, welcomed me with a warm and genuine smile. He discussed my diving desires and recommended I begin with a refresher. I was grateful for this, as I didn't have to suck up my rustiness and flounder around making silly errors. I am an older diver and not as strong as I once was. Luke assured me that nobody carried anything with his outfit. That proved to be the case. I was helped with everything with which I gave the slightest inclination of struggle. They are very observant.
The robust and friendly Nick Lakoff took me, alone, into the water for our refresher and shore dive. He reviewed everything. I learned more than I had in my Open Water training. Nick gave me tips and kind advice on things I hadn't considered and watched carefully that I had mastered all the points before we continued. Then he took me on a guided tour of Mandy's Eel Garden, pointing out little blennies in the coral heads and other marvels of this remarkable reef. I felt totally safe and secure.
Next morning I prepared with some trepidation for my "Deep Adventure Dive". I have a little trouble equalizing. "Don't worry," said the beautiful and competent Naomi Bergau, "We'll take it slow and wait for you. You can go down the anchor line if you feel more secure." And she did. On the bottom at 33 metres I successfully wrote my name backwards and then our group continued to explore "L'Aguila" wreck, surfacing only after a proper safety stop. I felt wonderfully looked after.
This morning a group of five divers went with Divemaster and owner, Malcolm Hobbs. A tour of Butcher's Bank (60M) at a pleasant, slow pace allowed me to get all my basic skills back in order and even have a little time to look around. Again, the attention to safety and the consideration for the divers was outstanding. There were only two divers on my afternoon dive with Kieran; we dove the Blue Channel slowly and mindfully. Equipment was up to date and well-maintained and dive briefings clear and precise. I have a couple more dives planned but was so pleased I wanted to write this review before the end of the holiday. West Bay Divers is opposite (10 metres away) Paradise Beach Hotel and Resort, which provided good accomodation for this trip.
These are good folks doing responsible, professional, safe and exciting work. I don't hesitate to recommend them.