“Professional Divers Giving Personal Attention”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of West Bay Divers

West Bay Divers
Ranked #1 of 17 Tours in West Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: West Bay Divers is a PADI 5 Star Dive Center located in beautiful West Bay, on the Island of Roatan. We dive on the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the second largest reef system in the world, home to over 95% of Caribbean marine species. At West Bay Divers we have earned a reputation of professionalism in the dive community by using high quality & well maintained Cressi rental gear, and staffing experienced dive professionals with a commitment to safety. With daily fun dives, snorkeling tours, PADI certification courses, and specialized Island excursions, we are sure to have something for everyone. Let us share our passion for the underwater world with you! Coming to Roatan on a cruise? Contact us to build you a personalized schedule to suit your group.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Professional Divers Giving Personal Attention”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

If you want to dive with a boat load of people and be one of a crowd, this probably isn't your place. But if you want personal attention given by diving professionals, this IS your place. Carrie, Juergen and the rest of the team work very hard to know what type of diving you want to do and to make sure you are comfortable and safe on your dives. They help you to select the dive sites you want to see, set up the schedule you want and are ready to go when you get there. I dove every day during the week I was there and had a fabulous experience. Even did a night dive. I highly recommend the OC team in West Bay.

1 Thank JamesB1228

Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Completely satisfied. Wonderful people. Wonderful experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

The wife and I decided to try diving on our vacation to Roatan. We found Ocean Connections Dive Center and have no regrets.

My wife has a fear of water and we both thought this would prevent her from diving successfully. However, our hero instructor, Juergen was able to encourage her and keep her comfort level up so she completed her Open Water certification with little difficulty. Juergon's teaching style is awesome. I am sure a lesser intructor could have easily discourged my wife from completing her certification. As everyone here has already mentioned, the staff is great and the equipment is good and well maintained.
I could go on and on about how great OC is, but I would basically just be repeating everything the previous reviewers have already said.

If you plan to dive in Roatan, This is the place to do it and be assured you will have a great experience with no regrets.

Visited May 2011
Houston, texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“63 years old and now I’m PADI Certified!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

I wanted to get PADI Certified so months ago I did some preliminary research. Here in the states many people had lots of local recommendations, but several people suggested it might be better, cheaper and much more interesting to get certified at some of the world famous dive locations in the Caribbean. The idea of confined sessions in a swimming pool and open water dives in the cold water of a rock quarry were not real inspiring.

I had been planning and researching for a vacation to Central America for the past 9 months (went to Costa Rica last year) thus my upcoming vacation research turned to places where I might also be able to get PADI certified, not a high priority but something I had in the back of my mind. Many locations offered dive locations, but my particular vacation requirements where indicating Roatán or one of the Belize islands. Everything had it Pros and Cons, but ultimately I chose Roatán. Roatán was identified as the cheapest place to dive in the Caribbean, water is clear and warm and the ocean currents are (for the most past) very calm, so I turned my attention to Roatán (hey, it was still Central America, Honduras).

This was also my wife’s vacation so she wanted a pleasant, white sand, clear water, beach vacation, were she could lie in the sun, do some snorkeling, and enjoy her vacation. Again Roatán has beautiful white sand, clear water beaches (meets the wife’s requirements). Arguably, West Bay in Roatán was identified as one of the best, if not the best, beach in the Caribbean for walk-in snorkeling and walk-in diving.

Focusing on West Bay in Roatán as my vacation destination I found a great B&B just off the beach, and considerably cheaper than the advertised rates at all those condos that are for rent on the beach (for the most part Roatán does not have a lot of Hotels (three story building restrictions). Anyway, I booked my room, made my flight arrangements and was set for a vacation in Roatán. Talking with the owner of this B&B (Glen) in email and on the phone (1-800 US phone number to Roatán, no cost) he suggested Ocean Connections as a great PADI dive shop, just off the beach on West Bay, not far from his place. Glen had many positive things to say about this dive shop and that many of his patrons used their services.

As the vacation approached I casually continued my research on things to do on Roatán, and to research Ocean Connections. Many favorable reviews about Ocean Connections came up at TripAdvisor and at several other forms on the web. Finding the Ocean Connections web site I saw where I could do my classroom (elearn) on line and not have to waste my vacation time in a classroom. Oh-oh, a week till departure and I found out I can do the classroom on line!!!!

I made up my mind I was going to try and get PADI certified. I had been through the PADI training when I was in my early 20s and I hated the required 200m swim, would I be able to do this at 63??? I jumped on line and signed up at PADI for the elearn and tagged Ocean Connections as my Affiliated PADI Dive Center/Resort (store number #19376).

It is very critical that you tag “Ocean Connections” in West Bay as your affiliated dive center to get your $120 credit on your final bill. You will also need a hardcopy of your PADI elearn records (test scores). There are two Ocean Connections (same outfit), but one is located in West Bay just off the beach, and one is in the small village of West End. The two locations are only about 2 or 3 miles apart, easy to confuse one for the other on a map.

It took me two days to complete the elearn on line (yes two long nights after work), now I had to convince my wife that she too could get certified. She bought into it and she did her elearn in four days, one day to spare. She was excited and looking forward to the training, she scored higher than I did on the Final Summary Exam on line.

When the wife and got to Roatán, after checking in at the “West Bay B & B” we walked down to the beach to try and find Ocean Connections, yep we turned the wrong way at the beach and walked all the way down past Bit-on-the-Beach (restaurant). We stopped and asked at several locations, no one seemed to know the name of Ocean Connections, however each establishment we were asking at had their own PADI program and was more than willing to sell us their services. Walking back to the other end of the West Bay Beach we found the Ocean Connections signage on the beach, the establishment itself is set back about 80 meters off the beach, down a narrow one lane sandy road or walkway, whatever you want to call it.

Anyway, finally meeting with Justin and Jurgen (sp?) we found out they were ready for us and that we would start the next day, Friday, and on Monday we finished with our final open water dive. This was without a doubt one of the most exciting four days periods of my life. Ocean Connections used the shallow, calm waters at the beach for the closed water dives and the first open water dive, the other three dives were via boat to different reef locations. Even the swim test (with snorkel gear) was beautiful, I was so entertained by all the coral and fish, I was surprised and disappointed when we finish, I wanted to keep going. What a way to be certified, coral and fish everywhere, so much better than a swimming pool.

I am now of the opinion that two items should be added to everyone’s Bucket List; the Sky Trek Zip Lines at the Arenal Volcano in Costa Rica and diving the reefs off Roatán.

I don’t have to sing the praises of Ocean Connections, the other reviews do that. I just want everyone to know how patient, polite, courteous, and safety minded Jurgen was through the entire program. Purposely removing one’s mask in 60’ of water and breathing through the regulator is not a natural act, but with Jurgen’s leadership and encouragement, all the drills were easy (ok the emergency ascent was tough). For the most part it was just the wife and I with Jurgen throughout the entire program.

Thank you Jurgan and thank you Ocean Connections!!!!!!!!!

Visited May 2011
4 Thank ohiotx
Toronto, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“OC is simply the best - great service and team”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

I cannot say enough great things about Ocean Connections - they were friendly, helpful and extremely professional in every respect. I did my open water with them and a couple of adventure dives towards an advanced certification. Jurgen was my guy and not only is he a great instructor and dive master, his enthusiasm and energy were infectious. The entire team at OC made our 8 dives fun, effortless and very safe. If you are in Roatan there is absolutely no better choice - small groups, great dive masters and top notch service. Our gear was of good quality and ready for us prior to each dive. My favs - Anguila wreck and the night dive. We will be back!

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Ocean connections - West Bay - DON'T GO ANYWHERE ELSE!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

If you are looking to have a safe, laid back, stress- free fun environment you must dive with this company!! Luke was very prompt on getting back to me with all the details I needed to make this dive memorable and for that I thank you!! We were on the NCL cruise ship Spirit this past April and I was wanting to dive. Trip advisor is the only place to look if you want the "honest" opinion of what a company has to offer. That is what I did - and the testimonials is was sold me on diving with this company. Read all of them and you will not find any negative comments!! That is because they are the best!! As it turned out I did a shore dive with Juergen,myself and a very nice young lady (Ashley) who was there to get her advanced. THREE people !! How awesome is that! The reef was incredible as was the marine life. HUGE moray eel , some scorpion fish, groupers and much more. Don't waste your time with anyone else!! You will NOT be disappointed!!!