“Great People and Dive Sites”

Bananarama Dive Center
Ranked #5 of 18 Tours in West Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Bananarama Dive Center offers the full range of diving activities on the worlds' second largest barrier reef. Experienced staff, small groups and the best dive sites make diving with Bananarama an unforgettable experience.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We did not stay at Bananarama, but we dove with their dive shop. We emailed the shop prior to going down to see if there was room for our two daughters to take their Scuba certification while there and to inquire on prices. Mal, the manager, was prompt on his responses and everything was as he said. Our girls had a terrific experience with Zoe, their dive master, who was an excellent and patient teacher, giving the girls all the time they needed to ensure they understood everything. The class was small as it was just the two of them. My wife and I took a refresher course and two dives with Zoe, and our girls. Again a great experience for all of us. We did not bring any equipment with us so we used theirs. The equipment all seemed very good and was in good shape. There are several choices on the beach to choose from, but I would highly recommend Mal and Zoe at Bananarama for a truly memorable and knowledgeable experience.

1  Thank John_McG138

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just got back from a dive vacation in Roatan and cannot say enough wonderful things about this dive shop. Did most of my dives with Brian who was so awesome. Very thorough with instructions/information for each dive site, makes you feel so comfortable and taken care of! He is also very diligent in the water and makes sure to point out all of the cool things in the ocean that you may not spot :) Did one dive with Marco who was also awesome. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Mal was great and willing to let you borrow anything that you could need to make your diving experience more comfortable. They will also store your gear while you are there to avoid having to find a place to let it dry in your hotel room.

They only have small groups (no more than 8) which is perfect!! The boats are never too crowded. Not the fanciest boats, but you never spend more than 10 minutes on it so it doesn't matter. The boat captains are great as well. I am a small female and often have difficulty getting back onto the boat and they always assist to help you get safely back onto the boat. There are holes cut out for you tank which they guide you to. When the water was a little rough the boat captain even pulled my fins off for me!

Mal was great with scheduling our dives, even scheduled us a shark dive for a day that they normally don't go. They arrange all of your transportation and give you a briefing about what to expect. The shark dive is done by a different dive shop, and they are not as diligent as the dive masters at Bananarama. But the experience was still awesome and I would recommend spending the $100 to dive with sharks. When we finished our driver was there waiting for us to take us back to Bananarama.

Essentially just dive with Bananarama. You will not be disappointed. Don't waste your time checking out other dive shops. Cannot wait to go back next year :)

1  Thank LauraMc-Diver
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Had some wonderful dives right off the front of our resort while visiting Roatan. Loved the staff and service at Bananarama - thanks, would highly recommend it!

1  Thank Kugs29
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My family has been here twice, off of cruise ships both times just for the day. My wife and I dive and love this dive operation. The dives are all close and very little time is spent getting to the sites. A quick 5 min trip tops. The diving is fabulous and the visbility is great. The dive masters are laid back and professional. You'll feel very well taken care of and best of all when the dives are over your on west end, one of the most enjoyable beaches we have ever encountered. Finish the day off with a few drinks at the thirsty turtle and you'll be hooked. We just booked our third visit for 3/27/13 and can't wait to get back.

2  Thank Brian A
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We booked transportation with Bananarama to their facility from our cruise ship that docked in Mahogany Bay. They were to meet us, provide transportation to their resort and provide snorkeling equipment so we could spend the day on the reef - total cost was $90. Unfortunately, they failed to tell their driver to meet us so when we walked off the pier and to the taxi stand there was no one to meet us. We were approached by a number of drivers who told us that Bananarama usually came to the pier but had not done so this day; they offered to drive us to Bananrama (about 50 minutes away). We explained that we had already paid for the trip and the first driver who approached us, who introduced himself as Shelford, tried to call Bananarama but apparently no one answered the phone. He agreed to drive us and work out the fee with the resort since we had already paid for the trip. My wife and I were a little apprehensive - I mean who can you trust in such a situation? - but we wanted to snorkel. Shelford proved as good as his word. When we got to Bananarama, they found our reservation and told us the driver had not stopped by on the previous evening to pick up his assignment. They never did quite apologize but agreed to pay Shelford for the trip. That part of the conversation took place in Spanish (Shelford also spoke excellent English) so I am not sure how it worked out but I hope he was fairly compensated. If I return to Roatan, I will certainly look him up for transport. The snorkeling was great but we did have to hire a small boat (for an additional $40) to take us to the reef and rent a locker (another $5) for the stuff we wanted to leave behind while we snorkeled. Considering that they failed to pick us up I'd have thought they might have at least thrown in the locker. The snorkeling gear was serviceable but the mask my wife rented failed to seal properly - fortunately the captain of our small boat had a spare for her to use. When we were done, Bananarama did provide good transportation back to our ship. I'd go back, and would certainly consider staying at the resort but I would check the rental equipment carefully or else take my own.