“Pleasant rooms and a lovely location”
Review of Clough Manor

Clough Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Denshaw
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Attended recently on an overnight stay while traveling up North as it wasn't too far from the motorway, but far enough to avoid the noise. The room was much better than expected for a countryside hotel, with a surprisingly nice bathroom. The peaceful location really made this venue, it was surrounded by naturally beautiful scenery and wildlife. Prices were as expected and the service was friendly and helpful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed April 4, 2010

Before you start, you should know that I am easily pleased when staying away and have never posted on a site like this before, but felt compelled to do so after a BAD EXPERIENCE here.

Pretty much from the first dealings members of our party (9 people) had with Clough Manor on the phone, untill the moment we left (after a 2 night stay), there was never a dull moment (especially not at 0030 hrs on Saturday, as the disco downstairs was still booming!).

After checking in and being directed to the 'first room on the left, top floor', we eventually found out room, last door on the left, second from top floor. What fun we had carrying bags and dress / suit bags around the corridors and up and down stairs.

Entering the room, we found 2 light bulbs blown and only tea bags for one cup, but more milk and coffee than you could wish for. Not a good start.

Showering / bath after each other, only one of us was lucky enough to have hot water. Given that there was only one other car in the car park at this point, I can't think that it was because all the other guests used it up.

Incidently, the shower was taken sitting in the bath, as the shower head holder was broken. Nice.

The evening meal we had on Friday was WAY over priced - £13 for a bread bun, burger, spoonful of coleslaw and half a dozen potato wedges (no lettuce / tomato / pickle on bun!) does not constitute good value last time I looked.

Only 2 vegetarian options - pizza or 3 bean chilli. No imagination wasted on these options. I'd like to say the dessert of creme caramel was the saving grace, but as it cost £6, I can't!

After our meal, we mentioned to the waitress that we were a few teabags short of a brew. She assured us she'd pop some up to us. They never arrived.

Never mind, at least we'll get a good nights sleep in the nice sized, well furnished bed. No such luck. Despite the fact that there were only 2 couples (us and one other) staying in the entire hotel on this night (the rest of our party arrived the next day), they were, incredibly incompetantly, put in the room above ours. I accept that the hotel can't take responsibility for them deciding to have a party in their bath room for half an hour at 0230, but had they been placed in ANY OTHER ROOM, this would not have been a problem.

Breakfast. As previously mentioned by other reviewers, no menu, usual small boxes of cereal and a couple of pastries in plastic wrappers. Tea, coffee, milk and juice were in jugs / flasks in a central location. Not ideal - how difficult can it be to make a pot fresh for folks as they come down? There was in fact a burst tea bag in the flask we used, so a nice, stewed, luke warm, tea leaf laden cuppa was just what I needed after a bad night's sleep.

As I have said, there were only one other couple staying the night before, so in case we hadn't got to know them from their singing, shouting and banging in their bathroom the previous night, the waitress had taken it upon her self to sit us next to them at breakfast. Yes that's right, in a dining room that can probably hold 100 people, around tables of between 2 and 8 people, we were put RIGHT next to them. When we tried to sit else where, we were asked 'could we sit over there please, as it'd been set for breakfast'. Upon inspection I saw that 'setting for breakfast' described the act of placing 2 tea cups on saucers next to the fork, knife, spoon, etc, that were on ALL the other tables. Not wanting to incur the wrath of the waitress, we did as we were told.

Breakfast arrived, was as asked for (poached eggs on toast) and was fine. Sliced brown bread, toasted and arranged with eggs on top. Not rocket science.

Before popping out for the morning (returning early afternoon to meet the rest of party and depart for wedding at nearby venue in next village), we mentioned tea bags, lightbulbs and shower head to receptionist. We were told that it'd be sorted - I actually offered to do the jobs myself, if provided with a screw driver and light bulbs (I'm quite the handyman!), but were assured that despite the resident handyman not being in untill the following week, they'd get it done.

Returning after lunch we found the milk lake and coffee mountain had been replaced by 2 tea bags. Fair enough. Sadly shower head still not fixed and no lightbulbs in place. We called down to reception. About 5 minutes later the manager arrived at the door telling us he'd heard we had some 'unresolved issues'. We demonstrated the problems and he said he'd need a screw driver and 2 new light bulbs to fix the problems. Really?!

A lovely day then spent at a friends wedding, saw us return about 2330 hours to find the wedding party taking place at Clough still in full flow. Being reassured that the music would stop by midnight, we retired to our rooms, to enjoy a nice cup of tea(!). I'm not sure at exactly what time the music stopped, but I ca tell you that at 0020 the words 'I wanna know where love is, I want you to show meeeeeeee....' were echoing around the hotel.

One of our party tells me the music stopped about 0030, but the party goers moved to the bar (under their room) and were still going at 0230.

There's more I could write, but I'm boring myseld thinking about it all. Needless to say, I can't recommend this place, untill the standard of customer service is raised enormously, the basic necessities are met and some thought goes into group management (why couldn't our party be put furthest from the P-A-R-T-Y, as it had nowt to do with us, etc).

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank danielcraigsmum
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I too had my wedding here on 12th December 2009 and it really was the best day of my life. Alot of that was down to the wedding coordinator Stefan and his staff, alot of my guests have commented on how nice he was and he took care of everything on the day so much so that i didnt have a care in the world and was able to relax and enjoy our wedding. The hotel is lovely, very modern without being clinical. The food served at our wedding was delicious and there have been only good comments from our guests. the rooms are gorgeous also, the toilet adjacent to the function room has not been modernised like the rest of the hotel but it is ok and if the only thing wrong with the place is a toilet then they have not got too much to worry about. all in all Clough manor is a lovely hotel in beautiful countryside close to some lovely villages, so if you want to get away for a weekend for some peace and tranquility coupled with delicious food then clough manor is your place, if your looking for a wedding venue you wont find better in the northwest. There nearest competitor is the White Hart at Lydgate and they are alot dearer with less rooms and the wedding coordinator is not even close to the standard the Stefan will give you.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We have just had our wedding reception at Clough Manor (28/12/09) and all I can do is compliment the venue, the staff and the food!
We dealt with Stefan who was amazing-of course when getting married and organising every detail you are anxious but from the start to finsh he was informative and friendly, putting us at ease all the time and dealing with all our suppliers. Thank-you Stefan!
The staff were also friendly and the service was quick, giving us enough time to eat yet not waiting around.
The food was immense, we had comfort food on this wintry evening and we were all satisfied but impressed.
All the guests have commented on what a lovely venue it was, even moving one of them to write a poem about it!
Thank-you Clough Manor for making our dream wedding a reality! :-)

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2009

My husband and I got married at Clough Manor on 24th October 2009 and we couldn't have wished for a better wedding day. We had the ceremony and the reception at Clough and nothing was too much trouble, from the moment we booked the venue throughout the planning of the wedding to the day itself. Stefan has great contacts and offered superb advice - just what you want for such an important day. The hotel was fabulous, the food was delicious and the service was first class. We had fish and chips in the evening and Clough Manor presented them take away style with barmcakes, sauces, mushy peas and cans of Dandelion and Burdoch - we didn't know about this and it was an added extra that both we and our guests loved! Our photographers even said that Stefan was the best person they had worked with. If you want to feel comfortable, relaxed and special on your wedding day then Clough Manor has to be the place to get married. We had happy guests a great atmosphere and amazing memories - huge thanks to Stefan and all of the staff at Clough Manor.

Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We had our Wedding Reception here on 5th September 2009, We could'nt have asked for anything better. We dealt with Stefan who was fantastic from start to finish. Our wedding breakfast was excellent and the service was fast and friendly. The hotel interior is beautiful, a mix of old and new. The grounds were lovely for our photos. The bridal suite is very luxurious. We had a fantastic day, nothing bad to say, which is exactly what you want on your Wedding Day. We would definately recommend Clough Manor to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank prettywoman28
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Myself and my husband recently held our wedding at Clough Manor, what can I say it was an amazing day in an amazing venue.

I had a large amount of family that stayed 2 nights in the hotel and all agreed the rooms were nice and the venue was fantastic. Our bridal suite was lovely!.

In planning the wedding I dealt with Stefan Grundy, he was fantastic I felt totally at ease that he had everything undercontrol with the team at Clough Manor. He was so organised and both myself and my husband thought he was fantastic.

The hotel has taken on some major changes and it is for the better, the food was amazing!, the venue is fantastic although it has a small garden area it is well maintained and was great for our photos.

It was our perfect venue and I can highly recommend it, I have nothing to fault in both the venue and everything involved in planning our weddign with Clough Manor it was fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denshaw
The Gate Inn
247Hotel
247Hotel
#10 of 11 in Oldham
Best Western Broadfield Park Hotel

Been to Clough Manor? Share your experiences!