“avoid”
Review of Clough Manor

Clough Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Denshaw
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Oh what a disaster this place is I visited and the bar and reception and dining area was so cold, even keeping coats on we were too cold, the food was well below average and the manager had no hospitality, management skills whatsoever. It has nothing to redeem it no wonder it is short of customers. Do people in catering not realise that there are so many places out there that no service and bad food along with tired facilities equals no business. Even more bad news for Clough Manor, I hear that the notoriously rude and arrogant owners of the Hey Green at Marsden (now in liquidation) are turning to Clough Manor to spread their magic touch!! God help it. My advice stay away.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank PenninesHuddersfield

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Highly unrecommended! We have recently been to Clough Manor and I would avoid it completely!

The food was ok, the rooms were cold, the door to some of the rooms were broken and it was in real need of a face lift!

Poor Phil was left running around to sort all the issues but many of them were down to poor maintenance and lack of funding!

Apparently there is a lovely B&B near by called Cherry Clough B&B which is beautiful!

Room Tip: Go to the B&B opposite the road
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank blacksheep31
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have dined at Clough Manor on several occasions. The food is superb and the price unbeatable. Fine dining at these prices is impossible to find. The sunday lunch offer is fantastic and costs the same as a very average meal in a local pub - very enjoyable and family friendly.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MSP39
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Arrived on a cold ,ice bound night to find the car park like a skating rink,slipped and slided to reception and were greeted by a rather flustered young lady after a wait of about five minutes.Told her we had a booking which she found and were given a key card and told that room 26 up those stairs overthere, was ours.Went up four sets of steps ,up two levels and onto a very dark corridor,the lights were not working!Walked along the dark corridor looking for room 26 all rooms had plaques on them with numbers,they finished at 25,they must have run out of numbers for 26.Tried the last door on the corridor and it opened.
We were pleasantly surprised,the decor was very nice and the bedding and curtains matched,the furniture was a bit dated but served a purpose.
After a full days work and a two hour drive a shower was the order of the day ,but alas we could not get any hot water to come out of the shower,plenty of cold but barely a trickle of hot.A trip down the stairs to reception elicited a visit by Phil,the manager to the room,he turned the shower on but not even he could conjure up any hot water.He left promising to return within minutes with a solution.He returned as promised with a key card for room 21,down two sets of stairs which was empty of guests,we could shower in that room if we wanted to and he had checked he water to see if it was working for us.He left us quite bemused with a promise that tomorrow night we would be moved to he Bridal suite as a treat for our inconvenience,having been married for nearly 40 years it raised a smile as we carried our towels down the stairs for our shower.
We had booked dinner or 8.00pm and duly arrived at he restaurant to find no one there,I walked around the bar ,I was closed,no one in reception,looked into the kitchen could only see a chef,had everyone gone?Eventually at 08.20 a lady appeared from he kitchen and welcomed us to the restaurant,apparently they had a Xmas party going on and all the staff were use serving in another part of the hotel.
The food came and I must say it was absolutely delicious and worthy of praise.
We were told the Bar was not open and it was too cold as the log fire was not burning bu we were welcome to join he party if we wanted.We declined the offer and off to bed we went.
We had been warned that there may be some noise from he disco,there was it went on to 1.00 am and then the noise of screaming drunken guests up and down the dark corridor ,slamming doors and using foul language continued until 4.00 am.
We had upgraded to a full English breakfast,perhaps as well because the only other things available were juice and cereal,the breakfast was nothing special,had to ask for sugar for the feral as it is very difficult to break sugar cubes over cornflakes.
Off we went for the day having repacked our bags fully expecting our move to another room as promised.
We arrived back at 18.30 and I asked in reception what our room number was to be,the receptionist said your in 26 have you forgot,I said I hadn't,t but was hoping to as We had been promised a move by the manager,he subsequently appeared and suggested we go into the bar for a free drink whilst they clean and restock another room as It would appear he nobody bothered to listen to him when he had left an instruction that morning.
After a 30 minute wait ,we were given the key to room 25 which had just hastily been prepared,up four sets of stairs again!!at least he shower worked when we got there.
I took a full bin of rubbish an an empty shirt box from room 25 and put it in room 26 ,hey hadn,t cleaned it that well!
I bent down to unfasten my shoes and spotted something black sticking out from the base of he bed,I pulled at the black cloth only to be surprised by a pairs of men's undies that somehow had been left in the bedclothes,my wife freaked and I winced,had the sheets been changed?
Back downstairs again I speak to Charlotte ,who was again extremely apologetic nod would have won an Olympic gold for saying sorry if there had been one,The sheets had been changed we had her word,which was accepted.
Back or dinner again,which was superb!! With complimentary drinks and old upgrade for our upset.
Full marks to Charlotte and Phil for trying to sort out the mess but they are shovelling the proverbial uphill when there is little or no communication,poorly trained staff,no time nor money to train them,no logs for the fire,can't afford them,no housekeeper,no maintainance staff,no salt for the slippery car park.
At breakfast he following morning the only cereal
On offer was 10 packs of weetabix and two boxes of coco pops,they had run out and no one had ordered anything.
Dear owner,get a grip,manage your business more effectively or you won't have one to worry about much longer,your food at dinner is excellent but it is ruined at breakfast by re microwaved bacon and sausage.

Room Tip: Avoid 26,no hot water
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Iain S
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel recently with a friend for a wedding taking place, we arrived and was greeted by Phil and taken to room 11, when we got to the room we were told that there was a problem with the lock and that someone would fix it before we left for the wedding reception, when we got to the room it was nice but lacked finishing touches, the roomitself was nice with a comfy bed and patio doors but it had a odd smell like old Chinese take out and the bathroom had a lot of mildew and looked outdated. As we sat on the bed I decided to check trip advisor and saw that someone had left a review in April saying that the door to room 11 didn't work!!!! I went downstairs and mentioned this to Phil who then said the lock wouldn't be fixed and that we would have to ask him every time we wanted to go into the room! The Wedding reception was lovely with nice food - I am an events manager in hotels and the only thing I will say is Phil seemed to be the only happy/helpful member of staff the ladies in particular seemed very unhappy and this was the same the following morning...it's not hard to smile!! I felt sorry for Phil as we were pestering him to go to the room every 30mins or so all night and it just seemed a complete waste of his and our time. In the morning he apologised and gave us more than 50% off our room bill which was a great gesture but surely it would just be easier to get a new lock on the door?

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We very recently had our wedding reception here on the 22nd sept, the lead up was bad. We dealt with 5 different people in the lead up to the day. Once we had paid in full months before the wedding we didn't hear a thing from the hotel, as the day got closer and we had met up with Phil (the manager) he reassured me that he was the only person we would be dealing with, he was brilliant with us finally give us a detailed plan of what would be happening in the da/evening. I told him how unhappy we was with the service or lack of and that I had booked us in to view a different venue. He apologised and from then on we had lots of contact from then, we then got to 2 weeks before the day and my husband was struggling to get in contact with him, I tried and nothing so I sent an email detailing down how unhappy we was again, he soon go in contact and explained how he hadn't had some of the messages. He answered all our queries and out us at ease again.... The day it's self, he and the hotel was brilliant, filling the tables with extra drink that we hadn't paid for, was brilliant with us what ever we asked he did the food was amazing the staff were good, there was one however who had a face on but the others made up for her, all in all Phil and his team made our day perfect, he went above and beyond to make it perfect for us and looking back I don't see the bad things with them just the day and how perfect it was and how attentive they were. I blame the owners who weren't really bothered, Chantelle actually said I was lucky they were doing our wedding that week as its the last before she got married the month after.....I would say your the lucky one. I think they need to leave Phil to running of the hotel he was brilliant.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nici S
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stopped here a year or two ago when I was up on business and remembered it well. I stayed again recently and was surprised that it was actually cheaper now too. Not much seems to have changed, still the same smiles and great northern hospitality. If I was being picky I would say there was a little more dust and maybe damp about the place, but I suppose that's a product of the current climate. Even with that in mind I think it was great value for a nice quiet hotel with some good food in their restaurant that was wasn't overpriced at all. If you're looking for somewhere convenient and cosy and fairly priced I'd recommend it.

I just noticed a couple of the other reviews mention run-ins with an irate member of staff, and I must say I don't know if it was that persons days off but everyone I dealt with were great and happy to help.

Room Tip: Ask nicely if they still have the Bridal suite available!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denshaw
The Gate Inn
Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chadderton

Been to Clough Manor? Share your experiences!