“Lovely Sunday lunch”
Review of Clough Manor

Clough Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Denshaw
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Was unsure after reading some reviews but I have to say we really enjoyed our Sunday carvery platter, for £7.95 it's a Sunday roast served on a slate! Fab touch, and the veggies and roast potatoes were gorgeous. Would also recommend the duck fat chips. We like nice dining and were suitably impressed that we will go back, we preferred it to the old bell.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Nuttersfans
There are newer reviews for Clough Manor

Reviewed June 16, 2012

I stayed with my husband for a one night getaway we had a lovley time it was just what we wanted quiet and peaceful , the staff and owner made us feel at home stright away and nothing was too much trouble .
We had a light lunch and evening meal both were beautiful food and great service ,will defiatly be staying again

Room Tip: we stayed on a drinks and winks offer so didnt get one of the best room but have stayed in beautifu...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jaynekilroy
Reviewed June 11, 2012

In the last five or six weeks we've been for Sunday Lunch with various size groups on 4 occasions. The food is excellent with fantastic and tasty starters, a great value carvery which shouldn't be missed, but with reasonably priced alternatives for those who want something different. The desserts again are second to none. The restaurant has a contempory feel and is more spacious and airy than some of the pubs you might visit for Sunday lunch and the views are fantastic. So having said all that, much as love having the place to ourselves, why are people not beating down the doors to have their Sunday lunch at this great venue?

As it stands this is a hidden gem and with the right marketing could and should be top of everyones list. Looking at previous reviews it is clear that their have been problems previously, but so far as the restaurant is concerned it can't be beaten. So come on people give it a try, because although we love going there with a family group, if we were to go as a couple it would be like visiting the Mari Celeste with no atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rick1959
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We arrived at 2.50pm on Saturday afternoon and requested to check in. After waiting 10 minutes at reception for someone to arrive our room key was handed over and we were shown to our room (number 24). On the top corridor it was immediately obvious that there was an odd, dank smell in the corridor which was awful. Upon entering our room it was clear that the smell could to noticed there too. We asked to change but was told the hotel was full.

We dumped our bags and quickly discovered that the bed hadn’t been made up and there was no bedding. I mentioned this immediately to the receptionist who then disappeared for some bedding. We remained in the room and preceded to have a shower. The receptionist quickly returned and barged into the room without knocking whilst I was undressing. This I found most disturbing, and then preceded to make up the bed. We weren’t asked if it was convenient or is she could come back later. I found this very rude. The bed was made up and she left.

After showering my husband discovered there were no towels in the room. I rang down to reception but there was no answer, so I had to leave the room to find a member of staff. After about 5 minites I located someone who said she would pop up with them. This she did and entered the room, again without knocking and gave me 2 hand towels. These weren’t sufficient and asked for a bath towel. Eventually I got 1. This did in the interim but again had to request another bath towel as there were 2 of us staying in the room.

I then discovered, that there wasn’t a hairdryer either & had to request this. After around 15 minutes, a hair dryer was brought to us along with the extra towel.

This customer service is appalling.

We got ready and went to the bar for the start of the reception . A soda and lime was ordered from an very young member of bar staff. She passed comment that there was no option in the cash register for this so ‘just give me £1.00.’ She then put it in her pocket!!!

I asked for a Pimms and lemonade and she looked at me very blankly. A slight older man appeared so she asked him what a Pimms was!!!! He then handed her a full bottle. She then asked me how to make it up so had to tell her. Whilst making this drink up she was asked for lager & cider from another guest and disappeared to change the barrel on both of these whilst still serving me. Surely this should have been prepared before guests were arriving.

At the end of the evening we retired to the room only to be confronted with the awful smell in our room and the booming noise from the disco. This kept us awake until after 1am and after a complaint to a member of staff.

Upon checking in we asked about the timings for breakfast and were told that it was served until 10am.

We arrived at breakfast at 9.30 to discover there was no food, coffee or orange juice left. We searched high and low for a member of staff and eventually found someone. The groom the had to strongly request that more food be provided. We were then given the bare minimum!!!!

Your hotel is expensive in comparison to Clough Manor Farm across the road but we chose to stay with you as we expected first rate service. This was not the case and we were very disappointed and disgusted at the overall customer service.

These complaints were brought to the attention of your receptionist when I checked out and I stressed to her (as the wedding party were around), that I would pay the bill but would be requesting a full refund, due to points above and that I would also be writing to you.

Despite additional emails and phone calls to the manager no one has ackowledged my letter or attempted to make any contact with me!!!!! I'd hate to think I was trying to arrange and book a wedding here.

Room Tip: book Cough Manor farm next door.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank rbrannan0015
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Having stayed here twice, once in it's previous existence as La Pergola, I am left quite speechless at the parless state to which this hotel seems to have plummeted. I was amazed when I was able to source a room at short notice for a weekend, when previously it had always been a heavily booked location, but neverthless pleased. Howver on arrival the reception was not manned, and the hotel felt deserted but for 3 people waiting to eat and 4 more who arrived at the same time as us. We were shown to a quiet room at the rear of the hotel as requested, but although the room had been decorated in modern style, the furnishings are old and dated, as is the 1970's bathroom! The bed sported a rdiculously feeble matress and rock hard pillows making the night one of misery. We took lunch which was fairly priced and nice, but noted that the surrounding were loking a bit frayed at the edges, and the wine cabinet was virtually empty, and a pint of beer which I took with lunch was not as bright as I found the same brew in a local pub later that day. Returning late that night, reception was again unmanned and we had to ring for a staff member who was sleeping over and took a while to arrive looking like she had been woken from indeed sleeping! Breakfast next morning is best described as only OK, with tables not fully set up, lacking butter, jam and condiments, with what I am sure were bacon, sausage and black pudding pre-cooked and re-heated in a microwave, toast was old and cold, coffee and tea were not served at the table, mushroom and baked beans were not available. This time, seated by a window I noticed some outdoor furniture was in such a state of disrepair that the wood was bowed, unstained and splitting on all items. Had to wait again at 'reception' to pay the bill, which when calculate did not include the lunch from the previous day.............I did of course make this known and paid accordingly, only to be thanked for my honesty. I have preivously enjoyed staying at this hotel, but will be amazed based on my esperince if it is still operating at the end of this year, and if it is I am sad to say I will be giving it a wide berth. The one thing that does shine through and must be mentioned is the pleasant service we received from the young man in the bar and restaurant and the receptionist whow as also waitressing, and generally run off her feet but still amnaged a cheery welcome and smile.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear are very quiet but obviously you do not get the wonderful moorland views as at the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We booked in for the Drinks and Winks Break. The dinner was first class, the first two course were excellent, and the sticky toffee pudding was the best that I have tasted. All the staff were friendly and helpful and made our stay special. The atmosphere is really relaxing and we had a great evening. Breakfast was of the same high standard. The whole package is really superb value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roy E
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Recently re-opened under new management, a warm welcome was given at Clough Manor on arriving for lunch Easter weekend. The staff were friendly and professional, and the food was tasty and excellent value. There were a few small teething issues, but nothing which detracted from the experience. All in all, as regular visitors, we would continue to support the new owners. They worked really hard in their new setting to make visitors feel welcome.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denshaw
Saddleworth Hotel
The Gate Inn
#1 of 1 in Diggle
Premier Inn Rochdale Hotel
The White Hart Inn at Lydgate

Been to Clough Manor? Share your experiences!