“The best Gastropub in Montreal (Saint-Lambert)”

Bidon Taverne Culinaire
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 30, 2014

C,est magnifique!!

I have tried almost all menu, and I can't tell you what is the best option.

In my opinion, le confit de canard + la poutine au smoked meat + le pouding chömeur + a Blanche de Chambly beer = the perfect combination!!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Went to Bidon last night with a group of friends had an amazing meal! Everyone one raved about the yummy food, and excellent service. Only problem was we were asked to leave at 8pm since another group was comming in for our table, a little rude as we would have stayed and enjoyed dessert and coffees. Might be back if we can stay longer.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Another birthday, another wonderful evening spent at Bidon. Mondays are always a great night because it's quieter, and the restaurant has a selections of their wines available for $20 a bottle, the "vin-vingt" special. We were seated upstairs, next to the bar, which I found much warmer and cozier than the downstairs dining area next to the drafty patio windows.

The main menu changes seasonally, so we were looking forward to trying some of the new winter fare. We started with a charcuterie plate, with smoked duck, roast beef and a delicious white bean hummus, them continued with the foie gras torchon. If you like your foie gras served a little more on the sweet side, this is for you, as the accompaniments and creaminess of the foie gras always make me think I've skipped straight to dessert.

Our main courses were delicious, though I noticed an imbalance in the way the plates were seasoned and presented. Dishes from the daily specials were impeccably seasoned, sauces complementing meats perfectly, but were thrown in large chunks into a bowl like they were the staff meal of the night. Dishes from the main menu, however, were more beautifully plated, with every attention to aesthetic detail, but the meat lacked seasoning, the vegetables were unevenly cooked, and the sauce slightly overpowering. A more balance plate, both visually and flavor-wise would have resulted in perfection, but both main courses fell just short of that.

Dessert was delicious, but I would've preferred a more shallow dish for my panacotta, finding it difficult to get an even spoonful of all the elements in the dessert without having to dig through such a thick layer of topping.

I have nothing but compliments for the service staff, finding them pleasant and courteous at every turn, even to say than I found them sincerely interested in our well-being, and not just asking the same "is everything alright here?" because it's part of the job. Everyone served with a genuine smile.

This evening's experience confirmed that I still like this restaurant, despite my nitpicking, and feel that everyone looking for a nice night out should give it a try.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We went here as a group of 6 on a Saturday evening.
Very busy.
Service and food excellent. A good, short, wine-list. Interesting specials.
Very noisy. Nothing to absorb sound.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This tavern is a gem hidden in the small village of St Lambert.I went out for dinner with friends and family and I was a little bit stressed when I saw that we were the only one with kids. On top of that, they were shooting a movie scene, so I kept imagining my kids ruining hours and hours of work in a glance. It didn't go that bad! My kids were behaving ( btw, they are 3 and 6) and I understood later why the adults like to come here alone. It is the gourmet paradise. I cannot come with a better description. They made their own beer ( that is also awesome). We ordered duck, salmon tartar, fish and chips, poutine and burger for the kids. I cannot decide which plate was the best- the burger or the duck. My husband says it was the fish and chips. Anyway, this is a place where could come back over and over again just to enjoy the atmosphere and the food.