This small hotel offers outstanding service in a beautiful location, great cooking - and good opportunities for birders!
We were here for two nights in April. Our room was beautiful and very private - a lovely place to unwind after five weeks of travelling. The staff could not have been more friendly - nothing was too much trouble.
The dining area on the terrace gives wonderful views over the river - not that you'll spend much time looking because the food here was the best that we had had throughout our time in Sri Lanka. This chef has real command of sauces and dressings - to say nothing of fish and shellfish.
And for a birder? Well, we saw an Indian Pitta, Asian Paradise Flycatcher and a Black Headed Oriole, amongst a host of others....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The River House is an artistic escape of sheer seclusion on the banks of the Madhu River. Surrounded by tropical wilderness, this is a place of romance and sensuality. Each of the five luxuriant suites speak an imaginative language of design and are a sanctuary unto themselves. Private gardens that encase your suite and jacuzzi's with an overhead waterfall are more to enjoy. The Menik Suite is ranked as one of CNN Travel's '21 Sexy Skinny Dip' spots around the globe for its private plunge pool for two. You will truly treasure how this place will make you feel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your The River House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The River House Hotel Balapitiya
- The River Hotel
- The River House Sri Lanka/Balapitiya