All reviewsmadu gangaboat ridesri lankainfinity poolrelaxing jacuzzirooms are amazinghidden gempeaceful holidayfood optionsrice and curryfish and chipstop floorquiet placeset menumonkeysbalconychef
Reviewed March 27, 2016 via mobile

It was a family retreat booked from an online booking site. We took the kadawatha Matara express way E01 from kottawa to welipanna exit. Then drove through the old Galle road for a little longer. The trip took us about 1 hour 20 min as we stopped for lunch at welipanna pit stop. I was surprised to actually come into this place as it had a mesmerizing view from the entrance to the pool to lake (Pic 1). Room keys were handed over to us which were in the emperor grade (pic 3,4,5) and was happy to see a Jacuzzi in both the rooms. Since we had lunch on our way we had a fresh drink and went to have a walk in the vicinity . As per ambiance it was evident that the architect and the interior designer took the amalgamation of Roman concepts as well Eco lodge concept into practice when building this villa and it was a different taste. Pool was clean and water was hot through out till the night which we stayed till the surrounding environment became dark, then we quickly changed and came back for dinner. We did order the food while we were in the pool so we wouldn't need to waste any time waiting at the table and it helped as everyone was ready to welcome us to the dining area. Food was good but was not great as I expected. It was definitely over priced but was expecting an exceptional quality food for that price but unfortunately I was disappointed in that area. The morning food was good but the Sri Lankan menu did truly taste better than the western menu. But still it was overpriced for Sri Lankan menu which was not acceptable. We had a relaxing discussion in the jacuzzi and the addition of Bluetooth speakers in the room helped us enjoy the time further. For lunch we had Sri Lankan which everyone liked but the same issue of over pricing dwelled in my mind. The staff was very attentive, helpful and courteous and the hotel stay was refreshing and enjoyable. I would defiantly return but I would try Roman beach first.

Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2016

We spent there on 23rd of March 2016. The place is like a best kept secret.
Ideal for honeymooners as it will provide a perfect getaway from the hectic world.

Up stair rooms have Jacuzzi's which are open to the balcony.Beds are clean and comfortable.

But if you are a foodie this is not the place for you.

Food is delicious and fresh but less options.

Room Tip: Room 203 has the best view and the biggest balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anupa L
Reviewed March 22, 2016

My Wife and I had an amazing time at Roman Lake Hotel, with exceptional food and great service. What I loved most was the private open air Jacuzzi which was available for the Emperor Room that we have got. Place was very quite, by the Madhu River, and I would recommend this for anyone who would love a perfect hideaway with great food.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor has Jacuzzis
  • Stayed: March 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 9, 2016

The setting is a dream, in an area that is known for great beach hotels this is located by the Madhu Lake surrounded by lush greenery all around (you will not miss the beach when you are here as there's a lot more to appreciate). Highly recommend for people who like to get away for some quiet time. Only downside is while quality was great, food is "ridiculously" priced even in boutique hotel terms I don't know what the owners were thinking. You could eat in a decent New York city restaurant for the same price. It cost nearly $60 for 2 people for 1 meal. Would have given 5 stars if not for the limited choices / price on food. I would go again still!

Room Tip: Get one on the top floor with the private Jaquzzi..
  • Stayed: February 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2016

My husband and I had a lovely weekend tucked away at Roman Lake. Not only is the place so lush and hidden away from society the FOOD is AMAZING! The service is non-obtrusive and always prompt. There are little details in the room and bathroom that tell you they added features for comfort and not just for aesthetic appeal. The beds are heavenly, clean and rooms are spacious. If you are looking for some R&R and have your meals as and when you want it. This is the place to go.

Stayed: February 2016