“AWESOME- I got to hold a monkey!”

The Congo Trail Canopy Tour
Congo Trail Canopy Tour from Playa del Coco
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Artola
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Congo Trail Canopy tour is Guanacaste Costa Rica's most well known Canopy Zip-Line Experience. Try the original or the extreme canopy tour or try our horseback riding followed by a visit to our well known monkey sanctuary. We also have ATV tours and other activities available. You can chat with our English speaking representatives by phone or email or book your activity directly on our website. We also have other activities available for you to participate in from day trips to jet skis so please contact us if you have any questions.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“AWESOME- I got to hold a monkey!”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Going to the Congo Trail Canopy tour was literally one of the best experiences of my life. The Zip Lines were awesome! I went down one with the dog, Scrappy riding on my back! Our guides held our cameras and took a TON of pictures of us. It was great to have the experience documented for us free of charge. For an extra $5 we went to the "zoo" in the back. I was so excited to be able to pet the monkeys through the cage, but then when we were told we could go in, I nearly died! It was the single best moment of my life! They took the male monkey out and moved him to another cage, because he was aggressive, and then we just walked right in! The spider monkeys were so sweet and calm, and the white faced monkeys were jumping all over the place. I will absolutely never forget this experience.

Visited August 2010

Tulsa, Oklahoma
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“No response when Monkeys attacked.”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I would think that a company that prides themselves on providing safe experiences for customers would have the courtesy to respond AT ALL when someone IS injured on their property and doctors are asking for more information to better treat them.

My family visited Congo Trail just to see the Monkeys in their "mini-zoo," so I can't comment about their zip lines, but do want to warn once again as others have about the Monkeys.

At first 3 of us went in the cage with the monkeys with no problems; they jumped on our heads, looked through pockets, pulled our hair, and generally used us as a jungle gym.

It was only when my sister went back into the cage for a picture that the monkeys attacked. My sister was just standing there as before with the monkeys on her and it happened so fast we aren't sure what provoked (if anything) the first bite. If something did set off the monkeys, it certainly couldn't have been more than a laugh - my sister didn't reach out to any of them or anything. When the first one bit, though, she naturally yelped, which immediately caused all of the monkeys to start biting her. And when monkeys are biting you over and over on your head, back, and hands...you can't help yourself but to continue to cry out, which I'm sure gets you more bites.

The guide finally got them off of her and when she made it out of the cage bleeding from several bites and in tears he grinned, shrugged and said, "Sorry, it happens."

While it was a terrible experience (her 9 year old son got to watch this happen who had himself been in the cage just 15 minutes before), we didn't get angry at anyone or even ask for our money back - we just wanted to make sure that she didn't need further medical attention. When we asked about the health of the monkeys, the staff told us they were fine and under veterinary care.

After getting antibiotics and a tetanus shot in Costa Rica, a day later our worries about rabies got the best of us and we called her doctor in the US for their opinion. They suggested that she get rabies shots unless Congo Trail could provide us with verification that they'd been vaccinated.

The first phone call led to them just saying that the Vet (no name) was "out of the country." After an email and additional phone call explaining that my sister's doctors back in the US were asking for verification of the monkeys' vaccinations, we were finally told they would respond to the email later in the day. 3 days later, there was still no response. Another email asking again for the information or at the very least a clear answer as to whether or not the monkeys really were vaccinated or under vet care, and nothing...no response whatsoever. Needless to say, since they didn't provide this info, my sister is now undergoing a series of 10 expensive injections of rabies vaccinations.

I want to add too that at NO point were we rude to the staff at Congo Trail in phone calls or emails - one time we even explicitly said, "We're not upset; her doctors would just like the information so that they don't have to give her the shots if she doesn't need them." After NO response whatsoever...NOW we are upset.

If you choose to ignore the warnings and have a bad experience yourself - don't expect the Congo Trail to give you any more than a grin, shrug, and hand sanitizer to clean out your multiple bleeding monkey bites.

Visited July 2011
12 Thank CandiceAnn
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beware of monkeys!!!!”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We recently visited Costa Rica visited Congo Trail to see and hold the monkeys in their petting zoo. My sister, brother in law, and I all went in the cage w the "trainer" to hold spider monkeys and white faced cappuchins. All went well- the monkeys sat on our heads, looked in our pockets, etc. I went back in w the trainer a 2nd time to get my picture made and it started out much the same- monkeys jumping on you, picking your hair, looking in pockets, etc. I'm not sure what happened but one monkey bit me. I naturally screamed and all the monkeys began attacking and biting. The trainer pushed them off w a stick and only said "Sorry, it happens.". I walked out w 4 bites (2 bleeding) and a scratches on my face, hand, and head. I was assured the monkeys are under a vet's care and had been immunized. I had to have a tetnus shot and antibiotics in Costa Rica and will have had a total of 10 shots through a rabies series bc Congo could not provide their vet, his contact info, or any documentation of the monkeys being vaccinated. We have been given every excuse and lie as to why they cannot give us the information, but the truth is they just don't have it! Save yourself multiple shots and a LOT of money for medical treatment and don't go!!!!

8 Thank CCB1070
Denver, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Do it...do it...do it upside down!!”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Myself (47yo woman), husband, and 2 sons (18-and 20-yr old) did this tour after riding ATVs to get to the site. It was amazing!! We had never zip-lined before, and I am a little leary of heights....but this was awesome.
You are clipped in at all times, so there's never a safety issue. And when you're soaring through the trees, you really don't have time to be scared.
The guides were awesome - efficient, and playful.
I even went upside down (no hands!) and did the Superman flight with a staff member - totally awesome.
It was very hot, and there were a few stairs to climb, so make sure you drink the water offered at many platforms, but definitely DO IT!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank Annpete5164
gold coast
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fun friendly and Safe”
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Marlon was our guide through the canopy we had a blast. They let us zipline upside down and fly like super man!!!!!! Everyone was super friendly and helpful

Visited May 2011