“easter break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Ruswarp B&B and Inns
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“easter break”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

my husband and daughter and myself had a lovely stay over easter at ruswap hall,it was an amazing building the hall and staircase were very impressive.we stayed in an attic room (16) i think,it had a double and a single bed perfect for us. the bathroom was fine also tv and hospitality tray was well stocked, we all slept really well although i was woken during the night by something poking me,i'm not mad i promise! my husband and daughter were both fast asleep it was all very strange! the owner was very quiet but that suits us just fine as we are not over familiar people ourselves,breakfast was lovely,we took the path alongside the hall and walked into whitby to see the sights, it was a pleasant walk and took aboout half an hour,the following day we went to the little pub in the village it served lovely food and drink.we would definatly return to ruswarp hall,my only critique is on the website it looked like it had a bar but we never found it,a nightcap would of been nice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank yorkshirelass538

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
hull uk
Reviewed July 9, 2012

there wasn't anyone to meet and greet when we first stepped into the hall abt 2.30pm on our arrival but very soon was greeted by a friendly polite lady prepping the breakfast tables.. we did find it a bit strange that we didn't see any staff in Ruswarp Hall until breakfast the following morning and even then found the gent who worked there ( the man that runs the Hall maybe?) didnt have anything to say and didn't stay in the Hallway to see guests off .. Nobody was around when we left to say thank you and goodbye to.. Maybe i'm expecting too much but if i worked there i would ask the guests how their night stay was and if we enjoyed our stay in Ruswarp. A bit of coversation would be polite... Breakfast was nice .. we liked the features of our room with the old wooden headboard and wardrobe . The room is alot smaller than it looked in the picture but very cosy and clean . The shower room door wouldn't close properly and the window glass was cracked. We had a wonder around ruswarp hall , looked into the lounge,the bar and garden and thought they looked lovely .. The lounge and bar didn't have a telly or radio in them- although this would suit some and not others .. Oh ! ..Me and my partner were woken up during the night to what sounded like someone dragging furniture across the room and heard people using the loo! .. The walls must be thin so be warned even if you are'nt a light sleeper

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
York
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at Ruswarp Hall for a week-end 'annual reunion' with friends. We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. I can honestly say I have never stayed in such an historic building (built in the 1600s). The bed was extremely comfortable and our room very spacious. Ok, some parts were a little 'tired' but the upkeep must be tremendous and the cost for B & B is most reasonable. The breakfast is excellent with sausages from the local butcher and there is free wi-fi access.
The village itself has a boating lake, a train station and a local pub which do excellent, reasonably priced meals.
Running alongside the hall is a pathway which leads right into Whitby, this walk takes 20-30 minutes.
All in all we had a great week-end and would definately return to the Hall.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I booked two nights for a suprize break for my husband and I for our 5th wedding aniversary,I thought Ruswarp hall sounded very attractive, stating that it was Jacobean and looked lovely from the outside and quite imposing.Unfortuately the inside let it down somewhat and I was quite unset about the double room we stayed in. The entrance hall was very nice and the grand staircase, the room was very basic and not very clean or fresh, the bedding was pretty awful with the d uvet hanging out of its cover as though it was too big, also the valance sheet had scuff marks on it. the carpet was not overly clean, it was a beige colour, and both the bedside cabinets were full of dust. There was an coffee table with the kettle and tea making stuff, but when we went to fill the kettle for a drink, we could not get it under the tap in bathroom as the sink was tiny, not big enough for anything!
The decor was awful with marks on the walls which were magolia, which made it feel very stark and bare, so my romantic suprise was not to be!! The only Jacobean thing in this room (which was room 1) was the original windows.
We did not find the host over friendly and he wanted us to use the pub to get a drink, guess the bar in this hall was a secret bar! I would not recommend this B&B to stay in.It needs a lot of money spent on it to bring up to a better standard and to give it a look of its period. Christine and Dave, Stockport

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Booked originally for just one night then planned to stay in Lealholm at a place we have stayed at twice before but had a change of heart and stayed another night at The Hall. Yes there are lots of stairs if you are on the top floor so it's best to make sure ( which I failed to do) that you take all your luggage to the room first time. What I loved the most though was the owners dry humour , when I mentioned the stairs and the numerous trips up and down in the hope that he may offer to help he replied " well it'll keep you fit". He has a very valid point and easily recognised a soft southener when he saw one. To be honest I'm not your yes sir no sir thank you sir kind of guy and that's not to say the owner was rude far from it but I do like a bit of banter and I think I met my match. We will return for more. Give the place a try after all what have you got to lose......

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom floor are lower than the one's on the top floor for those who moan about sta...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed in Ruswarp Hall for a couple of nights. We were on the top floor in a bedroom with a four poster bed and two single beds, so I can only assume this was a family room. The downside of this was that there were a significant number of stairs (one flight being very narrow) to get to the room, with a heavy suitcase. The room was very tired looking, and the shower although working was not what you would call a power shower, but certainly needs something of a boost to get you wet enough to actually shower. I realise this is a Jacobean hotel, but it really could do with some definate TLC throughout. The breakfast was excellent and there is free wifi. Its within about 5 mins driving of the harbour in Whitby, or there is walk way at the side of the hotel which takes you about half an hour to walk into Whitby. If your looking for a bit lof luxury, then this is not the place for you. If your looking for maybe quaint, then this is a possibility.

Room Tip: Can only go by the room we stayed in which was at the top of the hotel, with a four poster bed, alth...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
england
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Just had a lovely couple of nights in this pretty old hall with lots of character and charm. Ruswarp is a pretty village near to Whitby. Whitby can easily be accessed by train or bus from the village or a walking route taking half an hour near to the hall. We stayed in an attic type room at the top of the hall with old beams and was very spacious for 2 adults and one 12year old. My daughter had her own proper bed, not a pull out which often happens, which was nice. Large flat screen TV, usual tea tray and bathroom. It was lovely sunny weather and visitors also got to enjoy sitting in the beautiful garden at the rear. Car parking was available in the grounds. The full english breakfasts were plentiful and very tasty. The owner was friendly and welcoming. The village pub, the Bridge, served good food and was a pleasant place to visit. Ruswarp itself has the River Esk running through it where we spent an hour in a rowing boat. A miniature steam railway is also an attraction for children in Ruswarp. All in all a pleasant village and nice place to stay with easy access to Whitby.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lizfindleyholiday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ruswarp
Raithwaite Estate
#10 of 20 in Whitby
The Pier Inn Whitby
The Pier Inn Whitby
#6 of 20 in Whitby

Been to Ruswarp Hall? Share your experiences!