Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
$63
Hotel Noir(Clifton)(Great Value!)
$60
$57
Marmadukes Town House Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
$121
  • Pool
$234
  • Breakfast included
1,202 results
All reviewspark and ridehungry horselovely hotelgood sizebuffet styleminute driverestaurant staffbar pricespublic areasdouble bedstaff on receptionboth morningscity centreone night staywould stay againprivilege roomtea and coffee making facilities
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Located just outside the outer ring road of York with easy access to the A! (except in rush hours) this hotel provides a good base for visiting towns and country houses in the area. There is plenty of car parking. Sited by a main road some rooms (though not ours) may experience traffic noise.

We stayed 3 nights with breakfast and had 2 evening meals in the restaurant. Our room was a good size with an excellent large comfortable double bed. The en suite had a bath with shower over. The fittings were worn and one tap dripped. All was clean. We found the room warm and the luxurious quilt therefore far too thick for comfort. Tea and coffee making facilities are provided as is room service (not used).

We found, with one exception (a manager), all the staff to be courteous, friendly and helpful notably Wayne on reception and Wendy and Ben in the restaurant.

We did not enjoy our evening meals in the restaurant, the menu did not suit us and the first night our vegetables had all the appearance of being re-cooked from much earlier. The wine was expensive and the white we ordered not chilled to temperature.

Breakfast was better, with a reasonable range of cold and cooked items and others (fish, poached eggs) to special order. Bacon and croissants were particularly nice while orange juice was poor (from concentrate), Hot items were regularly renewed.

We found the hotel pleasantly quiet, though it was not full during our stay and when they host partys or large groups it may be different. Overall, a convenient location and good value if you manage a deal/special offer.

Room Tip: If traffic noise worries you, request a room shielded from it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your recent stay at York, and we are very grateful for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed April 30, 2014

hotel needs updating badly and as you drive in needs attention.

stayed 2 nights was very noisy,

would not return again

staff need customer management training badly, apart from this its handy for york centre

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank yorklady17

Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review. We would like to thank you for your feedback, and trust that upon your return to York, you will find the hotel and its services to your liking.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed for two nights. The dining room is very dated and the dado rail running along the left of the room has not been dusted in at least acouple of months it was filthy.
As we were tired we ate in the first night - My chicken Wellington (yup weird) - was not cooked through - I deliberately put this on the corner of my plate so you could see the wet pastry but I was not asked whether Id liked it or not.
Saturday Breakfast - as last sitting is 11am we got down there for 10:30am and were made to feel uncumfortable until we left - the bacon and sausages had been put onto slices of bread to soak up excess fat - how lazy is that?
Finally if I paid for a double room I expect exactly that - not two single beds zipped together. Furthermore the window in the bedroom could not be closed so it was rather drafty and the pillows were not adequate.
2 people booked in a double bedrooom - 2 bath towels right? err no... there was a spare towel in the wardrobe of all places.

All in all I would not recommend to anyone. Whilst I realised that the hotel was about 5 miles from the city centre my partner had been told it was within walking distance when she had enquired about booking.
Wayne on reception -possibluy overworked but his manner was appalling.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. Our service is certainly an area we pride ourselves on, and with this in mind, we certainly aim to correct the issues you have highlighted.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Just returned from 2 days at the Fairfield Manor which was an Anniversary break from my hubby, he had splashed out on a suite for us which is something that we have never done before, our first impression as we drove in was that it looked very old and tired in much need of a good coat of paint on the outside, we hoped the inside was going to be better, as we entered the receiption area we were thankfully pleased, old fashioned in style but this was in keeping with the era of the building itself, nobody was at the desk and had to wait a little while before checking in but the girl was polite and welcoming, we were given directions to our room 301 on second floor when we got to the room that was when I first found we had one of the suites, the bedroom was very large as was the bed, plenty of wardrobe and draw space and a tv in the corner, however the view from the bedroom was very dissapointing as we looked straight at a wall, the lounge area too was of a good size with another tv, tea making facilities with a coffee machine with instructions on how to use it, although we didn't, one bad thing with this was that the kettle didn't have a socket near it to plug it in which in our eyes was a silly thing not to have we had to boil it standing on the floor near the tv, the view from this window was a little better but still not what I would have expected from a suite, the bathroom was a good size with a shower over the bath and a jacuzzi, this was lovely but the shower was a let down, it kept loosing water pressure, what pressure it had wasn't brilliant, and when the pressure did come back the water turned cold for a few seconds, slippers and robes where also there for our use and equiped with a decent hairdryer, overall the room and the hotel were very clean. We went back down to the bar for a drink again we were kept waiting before being served, there is a buzzer on the bar to call for assistance which we used twice, the gentleman that came to serve us (didn't get his name but he wore a suit not bar uniform) was very nice and welcoming and served us promptly with an appoligy for keeping us waiting, we saw him a few times during our stay and became very friendly even as we approched the bar on another occasion knowing what our drinks were. We ate in the hotel restaurant the first night which we had to make a resavation for, we were not over impressed with the choices and thought that the wines were overpriced for what they were, when we had our meal order taken my husband asked for a steak, but he was not asked how he wanted it cooking we had to inform him ourselves of that, the wine was brought out a white wine as that is all we drink which as anyone knows should be served chilled, this was not chilled it was straight off the shelf so although not warm it was too warm for a white wine, the meal was very good, well cooked and well presented, but as it was our anniversary we didn't class it as a special meal and decided to book elswhere for our second nights meal. Time to retire for the night, I don't always sleep well the first night but I bet I only got around 4 hours broken sleep due to the heat in the room, the window was opened as far as possible but was still too warm, I found the radiator was on high and that hot I couldn't touch it but ensured this was turned off (by my hubby) the next day, night 2 was much better but still not perfect, the floor boards creak at every step both within the room and the corridor outside, a party of ladies were staying for a hen weekend and we could clearly hear then coming and going from their rooms, sound proofing would be a welcome addition to save guest from being disturbed. In the morning we went down for breakfast, ours was included in our booking but to see how much is charged for what is on offer again is over priced, the scallop potatoes looked like they had been re-heated as they were all wrinkly and not very hot, the menu actually said they were rosti, they most definatly were not, the eggs had been cooked so much they had a burnt crispy skin to the underside, I asked for some bacon as there was none left, I was told they would get some and go back to my table where some would be brought over to me, it wasn't, however the second morning I asked for the smoked haddock with poached egg which was lovely, but they did get our tea/coffee order wrong. To sum up our weekend, it was pleasant but could have been so much better and is well overpriced for everything, I could have been just a comfy and eaten just as well by staying at the Premier Inn down the road, will we go back? No, but I do wish I could have given a score of 3.5 as 3 is a bit on the mean side but didn't feel I could give 4.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for all the invaluable feedback you have provided us regarding your stay with us. We will actively look into all the areas you have highlighted, with a view to improve the areas of concern.