“5th visit.”

Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skelton
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Spent 2 nights as a bd treat, we have stayed here a few times now. We had a family room this time (2 adults) in the old part, not as nice as the newer rooms and there doesnt seem to be a lift to these rooms. The one we had was on the road side so it can be noisy, however it was comfortable enough if a little too hot at times. We had bfast both mornings which was ok. Drinks in bar a little pricey but its a hotel. Night porter was really nice and witty. Will visit again as its our favorite York hotel but would request a room on reception side.

• Stayed: October 2013
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It is pleasing to know that we have met your expectations again and I would also like to thank you for your support. The part of the building that you describe in your review is the original Manor House and therefor does not have a lift. Please do contact the hotel before your next visit and we will try our utmost to accommodate you in the new part of the building.

Kevin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,150)

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over the weekend and although the building is lovely the same can not be said about certain staff on reception.

Having raised a genuine query about the room I was staying in and was greeted by a very unhelpful member of staff that was very dismissive of the matter. I was amazed to then find out that the individual is the hotels head receptionist?!?!

Shame as it spoilt a really nice weekend in York.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 4200paulc

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apology for not meeting your expectation during your stay. This matter will be immediately addressed with the appropriate Manager.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here on the 1st and 2nd of October and found it suited our needs perfectly - we wanted a base to explore York from and that is exactly what it provided. Check in was speedy and the receptionist was pleasant enough then we went off to our room to find it very clean and inviting, after a day of travelling it was just what we needed. The beds were a little hard which would be my only gripe, other than that it was perfect. We had breakfast included and there was plenty to choose from when we got there in the mornings, buffet style cooked and continental. The first time we went in we were shown to our table then forgotten about by the server in charge of our section of the restaurant so we had to find someone to get us some tea and toast but a lad called Josh apologised profusely and soon sorted that out. There is a park and ride down the road which we used to get into York, so much cheaper than parking in the "Q" car parks in the town and only minutes away so well worth doing. I would definitely stay here again without hesitation.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It is pleasing to know that we have met your expectations and that we provided a service that enhanced your stay. The park and ride is a valuable addition to our guests experience making our location a perfect place to visit York and the surrounding areas.
We do hope you will consider our hotel on your next visit to York?

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here the first time in December 2012. Hotel is large and clean. We approached reception where we were looked at by the receptionist like we were poor and not worthy of entering such a place. The lady serving us did not seem to know what she was doing so asked a colleague to help. Her colleague obviously had a cold and in front of us loudly she demanded this girl not breathe on her. We were not directed to our room we were just given a key and made to feel like we must remove ourselves from her presence immediately.

We stayed in a junior suite which had a living room, bathroom and bedroom and was nice enough. The only really big issue was the heat. It was absolutely boiling even with windows wide open. We had to sleep with a fan on, on top of the duvet but it was a horrible sticky night.

A couple of weeks after the stay I received a very horrible, rude phone call from one the staff demanding to know why I had not paid my bill. I explained it was paid and I suggest they checked this before phoning people. He said he had checked and I hadn't paid and was very aggressive on the phone. Knowing full well this had been paid in full I gave it him right back and he slammed down the phone.

I called back on the number he called me on and spoke to a woman. I explained I wanted to make a complaint and she really didn't care. All she kept repeating was "well I've only just started my shift" until I had to explain to her regardless as a customer she was obliged to help. She said there was no one to take my call so she took my details and arranged a call back - this didn't happen. Therefore I emailed my complaint.

I was immediately re contacted by the hotel manager who said I was correct my bill was paid in full and sincerely apologised for the poor customer service and offered us a free stay.

We stayed again in April 2013 on the complimentary stay and the person at reception was extremely nice and over friendly and professional. We were shown to our room this time and treated like actual human beings.

Unfortunately there was the same issue with the heat but far worse as we were on the ground floor could not open a window. Again a long sticky night with the fan whirring. There was a young gentleman working at breakfast who was very naturally friendly and polite.

I wouldn't stay here again after all the fuss.

Room Tip: Not the ground floor as you will need to open the windows
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit the second time around and would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to put things right.

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in this hotel, I found it very accommodating and nice. You are a quick 5 minute taxi ride away from York as well. The breakfast was good with a good selection and was buffet style for both cooked and continental. The rooms are on the verge of requiring a makeover as was the dining room and bar area but otherwise very good, would definitely stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for providing us with your review. I am pleased to hear that we have lived up to your expectation and that our breakfast was well received. The Park and Ride is an added benefit to our guests and I am glad that you found it of use. We do look forward to having you visit us again.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and I booked the Fairfield Manor Hotel in York for our first wedding anniversary. A total of three nights, this was booked on the 07/09/13 quite a good bit of time in advance. The hotel was informed it was our wedding anniversary and we requested a double bed; however nothing was done to make this a memrable time for us.

Booked a double bed and got a zipped bed? A very uncomfortable style of bed and this was not mentioned on booking site; if it was I would have booked elsewhere.

The Head Receptionist was informed by my husband on Friday PM and didn’t really have any explanation except ‘all the beds in the hotel are like this’. That’s not good enough I am afraid. Its false advertising.

We thought we won’t mention is again as the hotel will get back to us in their own time as appreciate weekends are busy.

The Head Receptionist stated on checkout she that she tried to call us to change our room but we were out all day (not staying in York to stay in our room all day) and I didn’t take my mobile as it was our wedding anniversary (don’t want to be disturbed). No note was put through our door, which hotels normally do at first point of call if want to contact guests.

Even basic things like the complementary gift couldn’t be organised properly. No water was put in our room and we were asked if we wanted it by Head Receptionist on the phone Saturday night. This should have been in our room on arrival.

The hotel and decor in the rooms / hotel needs a lot of TLC. It’s dated needing work doing; not dated and well preserved.

The food in the restaurant we sampled for breakfast – I’m afraid even a pot of tea couldn’t be made up to a basic standard. The cooked breakfast was overcooked and greasy. The toast was burnt.

I think I could go on but enough is enough.

We won’t be staying again.

1  Thank Nickij1981

Dear guest,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. Please accept my sincerest apology for not meeting your expectations. Please feel assure that this matter has been passed onto the relevant Manager and should any areas of failing on our behalf be identified, the necessary measures will be implemented in order to prevent a reoccurrence.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My fiance and I visited Kilby's, the restaurant that is part of the hotel, and were very impressed!

The food was very well presented and tasted exceptional! The combination of flavours was literally an explosion in your mouth and very well put together.

The staff were lovely, Josh was our main waiter and he was very pleasant, very helpful and very amusing!

We would definitely recommend the restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. Its pleasing to know that not only our residential guests have enjoyed our facilities. Your comments will be passed onto the kitchen and restaurant team as I know your review will serve as inspiration to then.
Thank you once again and we do hope you will visit consider us again when you are next visiting York.

Kevin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
3 mi away
Holiday Inn Express York
Hilton York
Hilton York
#39 of 47 in York

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!