“Great experience overall!! Recommended!”

Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skelton
London, United Kingdom
“Great experience overall!! Recommended!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in a family room. The room was spacious and well lit, clean and tidy, furniture had some character. We ordered room service the first night, and the food was OK. The soup of the day was a little hot/spicy for our liking though, but arrived fairly quick. The breakfast was AMAZING. Lovely food, huge choice, from English to Continental breakfast, and you can order toast, coffee, or anything from the menu. The staff is extremely friendly and go out of their way to ensure you have a great experience. My 2-year old was a little upset during breakfast, and she was given a balloon by a staff member - she was over the moon, and for hours that kept her giggly and entertained.

I have to recommend this hotel, for the ideal location, the helpful & friendly staff, the clean and large room, the super tasty breakfast. Will certainly come back again when I visit York next time!

Room Tip: The family rooms have two beds, a double and a single.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest

We very much appreciate your lovely comments regarding your stay. It seems you had enjoyed all the facilities at our hotel and I am glad your daughter enjoyed her balloon. We do look forward to your return where I am sure you will experience the same level of service.

Kevin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I knew nothing about our trip to York as my husband booked it as a surprise. He definitely made the right choice. The hotel had the WOW factor from the moment we arrived - being set in beautiful grounds. As we had arrived early, our room was not quite ready and we were offered another- this was not an issue and we decided to wait in the beautiful bar/lounge for ours. The young lady on reception was very polite and friendly and made us feel really welcome, as did all of the staff.
Our room was spotlessly clean with facilities for tea/coffee and the huge bed was fab and very comfortable. As it was rather hot, we used the fan which was in our room.
The food and wine was a little on the pricey side, however the quality and service is very good, but there are plenty of places in York to eat and a pub just a few minutes down the road. There is an excellent park and ride bus service just 10 - 15 mins away which is really cheap and you can go all over York.
We are planning another trip to York and we would certainly look to stay here again.

Room Tip: Hotel very quiet, but a room overlooking the grounds has an amazing view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest

I am extremely pleased to see that our many positive attributes contributed to your WOW factor experience. I do look forward to meeting you on your next return and thank you for providing us with such lovely feedback. May I just add that it was lovely to read of your husband’s surprise?

Rosyth
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife an I stayed here for two nights whilst visiting York with my daughter and her husband. Staff were professional and very friendly. Rooms were a good size and very clean, television was a bit dated but worked well, tea and coffee in room was a nice touch, bed was large and very comfy. Never actually ate there in the evenings but spent a very enjoyable late afternoon drink whilst sitting at tables in the grounds as the weather was warm and pleasant, although the drinks were a bit on the expensive side. Breakfast was buffet style with a very good choice of cereals and cooked food, tea and toast was served to our table with a pleasant smile. Being close to the Park and Ride was a real bonus as parking in York is very expensive.

Dear guest.

Thank you for your feedback and kind words. Your comments regarding the friendliness of my team were reassuring and I was pleased to read that you took advantage of the sunshine to enjoy the facilities we have to offer. I am also pleased to read that your breakfast experience was to your satisfaction. The park and ride is defiantly an added bonus and a must to avoid trying to find parking in York. I do look forward to you visiting us again and hopefully the sun will be shining so you can enjoy another drink in the grounds.

north east
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I decdied took this hotel for our 1st Wedding Anniversary havng stayed here previoulsy on one of our first weekends away

On getting to our room we noticed straight away that our double bed was 2 single mattresses pushed together...not what you want or expect from a hotel of this standard

When we asked the recption if they could move us to a roomm with a proper double bed they said they would send someone up

When they duly came they informed me that all beds were like this and after I mentioned it was our anniversary sleeping in two single mattresses is not acceptable, she said she would see if she could move us to a suite...then as she was leaving the room said she'll see what she can do but that they were fully booked...we never heard or saw from her again

The next evening we requested a bucket of ice from the reception for our room to celebrate...over an hour later we still had not received it so I went to the bar and got one myself...the bar staff saying they hadn't received any request from reception.

The food for breakfast and for our meal at the hotel was really nice but this hotel really let us down with the bed

When the likes of Premier Inn, Travelodge etc can have double beds but a hotel of this standard (for the price they charge) cannot I find ridiculous

1 Thank leecoozac
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read of your experience regarding our beds. I can confirm that all our beds in our standard bedrooms are purpose made to accommodate either a twin or double room. None of our beds are just pushed together and they all have mechanisms in place to securely join the beds. I was pleased to read of your experience in the restaurant and thank you for these kind words.

Regards
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We chose this hotel at the last moment after reading the awful reviews of the bed and breakfast we'd booked, and I've got to say, we made a good choice - this hotel is lovely. Definitely one of the best features is the friendliness of the staff - everyone we passed greeted us, asked if we'd had a nice day, or what our plans were, and made us feel very welcome. The common areas of the hotel are spacious, clean, and were very comfortable and welcoming.

We had a family room - the window was small and there was a tree outside which blocked the light - however, the purpose of our trip was to visit York, not sit in a room looking out the window so it did not matter in the slightest. Room and bathroom were clean, well appointed, it was nice to have real furniture rather than built in units, and there was more than ample storage and space. Free wi-fi was also a great bonus! Room was cleaned daily by the housekeeping team who worked quickly and efficiently. Spare blankets, towels, pillows were all in the room, and didn't feel 'stingy' like in some Premier Inn/Travelodge type places, and there was a fan in the wardrobe. It was great to have a window that actually opened and wasn't locked for 'Health and Safety' reasons.

Breakfast was tasty, could be busy at times, but the guys who were there worked quickly at resetting tables. We never had to wait and there was always plenty on offer, with empty pots being quickly refilled. Occasionally had a slight wait for tea and toast to be brought to the table, and the hotel could possibly look at their procedures for seating people (a sign asking people to wait to be seating might have been useful for the staff) and their procedures for taking tea and toast requests. However, breakfast was a lovely experience overall.

The park and ride facility into York was great - the fare for the bus was less than an hours parking in town, and the parking was free. Was very convenient!

We are so pleased that we made the decision to cancel out B&B and stay at this hotel - we had an amazing week, which actually ended up being cheaper than the B&B!!

1 Thank alphabetsloop
Dear Guest

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I was pleased to read you found the friendliness of the team to be one of the best features of your stay. We do pride ourselves in friendliness and service and I felt reassured when reading your comments that our standards were still being maintained. I do look forward to welcoming you back in the future and again, thank you for taking the time to provide such lovely comments.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Generally the hotel was nice and we had a warm welcome from the receptionist.

The major issue was one member of staff who was extremely rude when we went to the restaurant in the evening. We went down at 7:30 and were told that we wouldn't be able to eat until 8pm. We were fine with this wait but her tone and flustered manner was less than satisfactory. Whilst waiting to be seated another member of staff appeared and they had a conversation about how people just turn up to eat and how it was like this last night. Very unprofessional in front of guests.

We were shown to a table and waited for the rest of our party to arrive. We were not asked if we wanted any drinks. When the rest of party arrived we decided to eat down the road where there was a much better service.

After our meal we returned to the hotel and had a few drinks in the bar. Richard who served us was very chatty and a credit to the hotel for his customer service.

The waiting staff in the morning at breakfast were more concerned about putting there own food under the hot plate than anything else. At times four young members of staff complaining that there wouldn't be any food left for them at this rate and generally messing about.

The hotel was pleasent, unfortunatly some of the staff let it down on this occasion.

• Stayed August 2013
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I would like to express my sincerest apology for the unacceptable behaviour show to you but a member of my team. I can assure you the action shown by this particular member is not a true reflection on the overall service my team provide and this is reflected by the many positive comments we receive regarding our service and staff friendliness. I have passed on your comments to my Operations Manager for investigation. I was however pleased to read that you found the other aspects of our hotel to your satisfaction.

Regards
Kevin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Hotel Noir
#1 of 2 in Clifton
York Marriott Hotel
Holiday Inn Express York

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!