“A pleasant place to stay”

Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skelton
St.Albans, Hertfordshire
“A pleasant place to stay”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Very pleasant staff, clean rooms and good parking in large grounds. Creaky floorboards so make sure you book a room on the upper floors.
Nice bar area and lounge. Traditional English country hotel dining room

Room Tip: Go for the upper floors as the floorboards creak!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay and that everything lived up to your expectation. I can only apologise for the creaky floorboard in the area of your bedroom. We are looking into a solution and I am sure we will have this solved in the not to distant future. We do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kevin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is great. The rooms are large we booked a double room but we got a king size instead. Are room was spotlessly clean. Reception staff were very friendly and helpfull. Breakfast was a choice of hot or cold and was lovley. Will stay here again next time we are in York.

• Stayed July 2013
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
WOW, what great feedback. It is fantastic to read that our guests are leaving with such a great impression of our hotel. I was obviously very pleased to read that my team have lived up to our high standards of customer service. I know they will be over the moon when they read your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Swansea, Wales
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights with free dinner on the first night and breakfast. The hotel is a nice local for my visit to York just a very short drive to the Park and Ride to access York. The main problem was as it was very hot and the hotel only having fans and no air conditioning in the hotel. The other small point was the TV had very little choice of channels considering what you can get on free view also the size was small. I tried to use the free Wi-Fi to access my TV system on line but it was not up to the download I could not use it to watch my sport channels, all you could use it for was viewing on line pages for information. The free dinner on the first night was Ok but not worth the price I would have paid if it was not part of my package, the breakfast was of a good standard and choice. The room I had was of a normal standard not great but clean and tidy. The point about the high temps was you could not open the window much to let air into the room as it stopped you opening the window fully, for so called safety reasons. I would go again to this hotel if I had a good deals other wise I think I would try another hotel with better options, considering it is a 4 star hotel but more of a 31/2 star because of what you get in you room and the restaurant had no views just a wall a feet away. The other major problem with the rooms that you do not have a safe you have to use the ones at the front desk which is not very convenient.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
While we have all wished for a better summer than the last few years, we really have got what we were hoping for. I am very sympathetic towards all our guests who have had to endure extreme temperatures in our bedrooms and I would have hoped you made used of our lovely outside areas to help cool you down? As a company we are looking at options to provide our guest with a better quality of TV channel selection but I am sure you can appreciate these things take time. I would like to thank you for providing valuable feedback and I do hope you choose to visit us again, hopefully not just in winter?

Thetford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Fairfield Manor WAS one of my favourite hotels. That was when it was Ramada! Now it is Mercure and the changes are not good. Especially the restaurant. I would NEVER expect to find Pizzas and Burgers on the menu of an hotel such as this. Of course we didn't chose these but what we did have was not that good! If we had not booked to dine there we would; certainly have gone elsewhere to eat!

The staff are excellent. Cannot fault them The room and public areas are still nice enough, but we shan't be returning.

Room Tip: If you like your food, don't eat here!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It seems we lived up to your expectation on most things but you felt let down by the food offering? In order to meet most of our customers needs we have made some changes to our menu therefore adding a few items that might not appeal to everyone. I can assure you, the quality of these items are not of lower value and we have a menu that is changed daily to give our long staying guest more variety. I was however pleased to read that your opinion of our staff and property has not changed. I do encourage you to give us another opportunity as we are constantly adapting our menu to try and meet all our guests needs.

Kind Regards
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a quaint hotel that appears to have been a manor. The rooms were large. There is no in room safe or fridge. A small television. Tub in the bathroom. Wifi in your room costs. No air conditioning. The lounge area is very large and very nice for sitting. The nicest Mecure we have visited.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Van57
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank your for your recent review. Our hotel offers free wifi in all the bedrooms and meeting rooms. There is, however, a small charge for streaming larger data files from various websites. All our rooms come equipped with fans, and we do provide a safe storage facility at our reception. Thank you for your valuable feedback, and we look forward to your return to our hotel.
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

A one night Saturday stay for £155. The weather outside was hot, the room inside was hotter. One electric fan didn't help enough and the heat made relaxing and sleeping difficult. The breakfast was really good, the room clean and comfortable but the heat spoiled the evening for us.

1 Thank Sarahnorthants82
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. It is important to us that our guests and all their needs are catered for in the best possible way. Unfortunately, due to the recent heatwave experienced throughout the country, it is needless to say that a large proportion of the population have found the the heat considerably unbearable. By providing fans in all our rooms, it is our sincerest intention to alleviate the discomfort that is often associated with an abundance of heat. We would nevertheless like to thank you for complimenting the food and the service received, and have takenyour comments on board with a view toward a positive resolution.
Gloucestershire
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a while ago and it's not changed. It's got a weird US Country Club or flamboyant Miami Casino feel to the central lobby area, without the chandeliers or excitement, so not really boyant or flam! The rest of the gaff is let down by it's tired well stayed in feel. Not helped by, squeaky floors, grubby flaking bath sealant, and that sort of shake and vac odour in the room
Food was very Brake Bros and really disappointing and it would be nice if the bar stocked at least one real ale as it's so close to Tadcaster after all(?)
To sum up, it's tired, tatty, and very boring

2 Thank TripTripper66
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review. We have taken your comments on board, and would like to state that your review is not reflective of the service and quality we provide, in addition to the majority of reviews on this website. We would like to thank you for bringing your views to our attention, and trust that your time in Yorkshire was thoroughly enjoyed.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
Best Western York Pavilion Hotel
York Marriott Hotel
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel Indigo York
#3 of 47 in York

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!