“nice day for a right wedding”

Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Skelton
Reviewed April 14, 2013

It was a great experience from checking in to checking out.The room was spacious and clean with every facility that we required.The food was lovely in the bright,airy restaurant and the staff went the extra mile.The wedding was brilliant with Randall conducting proceedings with aplomb and ensuring attention to detail.He even took some photos of the guests for them.We will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience with us. Service delivery is extremely important to us as a business, and we would like to thank you for your lovely comments about the staff, which will be communicated to the whole team.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,161)

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The overall experience started the moment we entered the hotel. There were two large lounge areas, a bar with its own seating area. Both the bedroom and ajoining lounge were of a good size and well furnished. The onsuite had a large spa bath with shower. The restaurant was large and spacious and well decorated. The food was five star. On our second night my wife wanted a main course which was not on the menu but had been on the previous evenings menu. They cooked her the meal. Thats service! All the staff were very polite. I can't wait till our next visit.

Room Tip: choose a suite. Its nice to have another room to relax in.

Dear Guest,

It is extremely delightful to know that we have catered for all your needs. Our sincerest intention is to look after all our guests in ensuring that the time spent with us is magical, and would like to thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Ok so after reading some of the positive reviews decided to book the hotel for a two night break, booked two rooms and was told at the time of booking that we would be provided with interconnecting rooms as I had requested. Travelling with my mum and two teenage sisters it was perfect for us and on the basis of the hotel offering us the interconnected rooms we booked over the phone. We received the reservation emails on which this was also mentioned. However on arrival we were told that there were no connecting rooms available, surprised at this I explained I had spoken to an agent who had confirmed we'd definitely have the rooms. The staff apologised for the mistake and gave us two rooms (one double, one twin) on the ground floor next to each other. For an easy life we decided to accept this. That was just the beginning of our nightmare. The rooms were quite small, basic decor and 'appeared to look clean.' Once we'd unpacked we headed off to the city centre, we arrived back at the hotel some hours later and could not believe what we came back to. In the twin room I was staying in I had left a can of soft drink open on the dressing table which at this point had a HUGE number of ants crawling inside, on the can and around the dressing table, disgusted with what I had just witnessed. I went to report this in panic at the reception, they apologised for this and asked us to gather our belongings in order to move us to other rooms. We rushed to pack our belongings and were moved to the first floor with my sisters provided with a room next to us. In shock of what had happened none of us wanted to stay there longer than we had to, I spoke to the lady at reception (Demi) and asked for the second night to be cancelled and for it to be refunded to us. I explained that this was not what we expected.. We were horrified! My teenage sisters were itching constantly and refused to stay in a 'dirty, ant infested place'. Demi said that as the booking was a prepaid she couldn't make that decision and that I would need to wait to speak to the manager in the morning. So we got through the night, with little sleep and two angry teenagers (for making them sleep in a dirty place) I spoke to Kevin the manager who I explained the situation to and asked for the second night to be cancelled and have it refunded. The manager refused, he said that he believed they had rectified the problem as they provided with alternative rooms and couldn't understand how the ant infested room had ruined our experience at the hotel. Because the rooms were prepaid non cancellation rooms they wouldn't be able to refund us for the second night. Annoyed at this I explained there was no mention of ant infested rooms in the terms and conditions, had I known there is Noway I would have booked the hotel. He said he understood where I was coming from but couldn't do anything about refunding us! Having no money do find alternate last minute accommodation we decided to stay out and away from the hotel as much as we could for the day, what we hoped would be a nice spring break had become an ANT INFESTED NIGHTMARE!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Lilly313
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear guest,

As you had mentioned in our conversation that the rooms you had been moved to were very nice, I felt we had resolved your issue to an acceptable level. I would also like to add that as we could not find any ants in your rooms we have contacted our pest control company to have them investigate further.
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

OK, the good points first. I booked ahead online and got a good deal on the room rates (I booked two rooms). The rooms were clean, the decor and amenities met my expectations for a four star hotel. The hotel offers free parking and is very close to the park & ride service which is a handy service for visiting York. (Much cheaper than parking in the city centre.) the lady on reception was friendly and helpful.She quickly arranged a room change when we discovered there was no running water in one of the bedrooms.
The bad points - well the lack of running water and the bedrooms were very cold. We were told the heating sensors mean the heating only comes on when there is someone in the room. This means the first half an hour will be cold while you wait for the heating to warm up. Also, the radiators are hidden behind thick curtains, so you have to choose between leaving the curtains open or losing all the heat out of the windows. The rooms also appeared to have CCTV cameras in them which was quite frankly a bit disturbing. I don't wish to be watched whilst sleeping!
We ate our evening meal in the restaurant. The food was average. OK but not amazing. The atmosphere was sterile. The restaurant really needs redecorating. The staff were friendly but clearly demotivated and not very interested in serving. We had to ask three times for our waitress to bring the bill.
Apparently the hotel has been recently bought by a Spanish company and it shows. There was evidence of cost cutting measures, staff seemed insecure about their jobs and there was an atmosphere of decline about the place.
Would I stay there again? I'd stay overnight on a business trip when I just want a clean and comfortable room, but I wouldn't choose it for a longer leisure break.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We would like to start off by stating that there are no cameras in your room, and they are the heat and motion sensors you are referring to. As we are a company geared towards an energy conserving philosophy, it is important for us to ensure that we conserve as much energy as we can, in the best interest of the environment. We would however like to apologise for the fact that your room was cold in the initial stages uf your arrival. Furthermore, it is apparent that your comments are in isolation with regards to the employees that work here, and clearly a matter of personal opinion. In essence, we would like to thank you for providing us with a review, and welcome any constructive criticism which would go a long way in enhancing the benefit of all our future guests.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

At £255.00 for just two nights (£165.00 for Saturday night and £90.00 for the next night) the Fairfield Manor does not really deliver. My wife and I expected more. Our ground floor room, while clean, tidy and with acceptable beds (twin bedded room) it really was just a normal standard room. True, most things that you need were there but so are they in rooms at hotels with accommodation at a third of the price. Alarmingly there was no fitted 'grab rail' which is necessary when a shower is fitted above a bath. The hot tap on the sink had an odd anti-clockwise operation but the water was warm enough. Neither of us thought that the 'spyhole' set in the door a very nice idea and is something that we have not noticed anywhere previously. Surely there is a better way for the room cleaning team to ensure that a room is empty. Granted, these are small cosmetic issues but issues that should not be present at the price charged.
Ample food is available at the self-service breakfast bar but not very hot.
Claims on the web pages that the hotel is 'set in its own grounds' is, in our opinion, misleading. it is set in its own grounds but it is also right alongside the busy A19. You are further informed that the Gothic York Minster is a short-hop away...not it's not: it's is 3 1/2 miles distant! Obviously a 'typo' but it has not been corrected. Lastly, if you don't have your car or are not a motorist and are leaving York centre late of an evening, be prepared for a £10.00 to £11.00 taxi fare or a very long walk (1 hour on average), as the buses stop running after 18:30.
Doubt if we will visit this hotel again.
Regards
Marshesboy

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. Our sincerest intention is to deliver an honest assesment of what we provide and what we can deliver. You have correctly stated that the Minster is 3 1/2 miles away, and to us that is a short stop away. The spyhole on your door is used for looking out into the corridor, and not for the purposes of checking if your room has been vacated. We have taken on board your additional comments about the features in your bedroom, and we are currently in the process of reviewing the health and saftey concern which you have brought to our attention. We would nevertheless like to thank you for providing us with a review.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have just returned from a weekend stay at the Fairfield Manor Hotel, where we attended a family wedding. The wedding itself was lovely, the hotel staff were attentive, and friendly, and made the wedding feel very special. The food was beautiful, some guests were late arriving for the meal, but were still served quickly, and with a smile, so that they managed to catch up with the courses. The breakfast was very good, empty trays were replaced quickly, and one lovely waitress even remembered that I hadn t been very well the day before, and asked if I felt better! I would recommend this hotel without hesitation, and pats on the back to the bar and restaurant staff.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is satisfying to hear that you have recently enjoyed your weekend with us. The welfare of all our guests is of paramount importance to us, and we trust that you are feeling better. In conclusion, we would like to thank you for providing us with a review.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We booked The Mercure York at very short notice for a couple of days in York and surrounding area. We stayed during the week so the parking was ample. Check in was seamless and very courteous. The room itself was quite big considering, we had a double bed and a single to choose from. Everything was spotless and sleep quality was perfect, no banging doors like some of the Premier Inn type hotels. The only minor gripe i had was to eat at the hotel seemed a little on the expensive side however there's a pub just up the road which does food all day and about a mile away is a reatail park which had several options such as fish and chips, an indian, chinese or a Beefeater. All in all I would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were to the side which was very quiet
2  Thank Jibblerg

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. Our restaurant has recently added a brand new menu, in addition to various special offers which provide you with an array of competitive priced items and promotions. We are constantly looking at providing the best prices to all our very loyal guests, and hope that during your next stay you will find them to your liking.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
3 mi away
#1 of 2 in Clifton
Holiday Inn York
Holiday Inn York
#34 of 47 in York

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!