“askham bryam”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skelton
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“askham bryam”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We decided to stay at this hotel over xmas and we had a fantasic time.We booked the junior suite, it was very nice and spacious. The food is delicious you are made to feel welcome through out your stay.I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angela s
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. It is important to us that you have felt welcomed, and trust that you will endeavour to return to our hotel in the not too distant future. Your comments about the service you have received will be communicated to all the staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Midlands
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife took me and my son for a two night stay between 30th and 31st December. Really impressed with the staff, who were polite and courteous. The food on both the evening meals were great, plenty of choice for us all. The breakfasts were excellent and as a connoisseur of a good quality breakfast, it was up there. Room was clean and well equipped, got to watch the new bond film and ted a part of the room price. The only tiny gripe was the telly occasionally came up with messages and beeping. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a great hotel on the edge of York. Oh, there's a bus stop right outside the hotel that takes about 10minutes to get to town, bonus:)

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank WickerSunday
Dear guest,

The efficient running of the hotel is attributed to each and every staff member that is often driven by a desire to embrace an uncompromising attitude towards consistent customer service. We are pleased that you have had the opportunity to appreciate all the culinary delights which were available to you, and trust that all the other aspects of your stay was pleasant and to your liking.
Cheshire
Reviewed January 2, 2013

A friend and I booked to stay here for Christmas as part of a Saga holiday. We had booked single rooms and were a bit apprehensive that we might be fobbed off with tiny rooms next to the lift or the kitchens! However, the rooms were great - absolutely huge, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The decor was not exactly exciting but it was perfectly acceptable. The bathrooms were fine - lovely hot showers - and towels and toiletries were replaced daily, whether needed or not!

The public rooms were very nice - plenty of comfortable seating. The TV in the bar was too loud for our taste but it was always possible to find somewhere else quiet to sit and read or chat. The dining room was pleasant and the meals and service excellent. We had full board and there was always a choice of at least three dishes per course on the set menu. The chefs and staff were very helpful over dietary issues.

It was a very pleasant visit and I would certainly stay here again. The River Ouse was in flood and it was a bit disconcerting to see it so near the car park but there was never any real problem. The hotel is quite close to the Park and Ride for visits to York without the hassle of parking.

Perhaps my only negative comments would be that at no time was I offered any assistance with my luggage, either on arrival or departure. On arrival, my friend's room was not ready (although we were not early) and it was some two hours before she could unpack and settle in. Finally, a light bulb in my room was not working and was never replaced, despite two requests. These are minor quibbles, though, and overall it was a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: My ground floor room was very quiet, though perhaps a little dark. It faced the hotel grounds and th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CheshireLilyLee
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for the lovely comments regarding your stay over Christmas. I was disappointed to read that there were services that were not offer and I apologise for this. These issues will be addressed. It is common for the stream at the bottom of our ground to flood when the river Ouse is full but you can be assured the car park area will always be fine. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future and wish you all the best for 2013.
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We arrived New Year's Eve mid afternoon, the hotel was beautiful. We where greeted by the the receptionist who looked less than impressed to be there to say the least. We weren't told any information about the hotel on arrival apart from a brief description on where I room was, which in the end wasn't in the right direction. We eventually found our room after wondering around, when we entered our room I was amazed how beautiful it was. My partner had booked a superior suit as a New Years treat. The little living area was lovely, the bathroom was huge, large shower, gorgeous free standing bath. The bedroom was also very large, very comfortable four poster bed and plenty of space to put all our belonging. All the rooms where immaculately cleaned, we where very impressed. We went for a trip into York, I've never been to York and found the city breath taking. We decided to go back to the hotel and use the health club facilities. We asked the bar man for more information as the reception was busy. The bar man was very friendly and helpful, he answered all our questions. We where however very disappointed to find out the spa facilities weren't on site at the hotel, we had to drive to them. It was only a short journey so we got our belongings and set off, only to find when we arrived at the health club it was shut and wouldn't be open the next day either. If we'd have been told this information on arrival we would have gone to the spa before going into York. My partner and I where very disappointed as we booked a spa hotel and paid more than we would normally for a hotel as it was a special occasion. It doesn't say on the internet that the spa is at a different location and my partner wasn't told when booking the hotel either. We went back to our room and got ready for dinner in the restaurant, when my partner booked the hotel he was told there would be evening entertainment, however when we went for dinner there was no entertainment, music, anything like we thought there would be. The dinner was a set menu which we wasn't told it would be either. I was really looking forward to the fillet steak, there wasn't anything I particularly liked on the menu. I chose something which turned out to be very nice, the service in the restaurant was fantastic, very helpful and friendly staff. After our meal we decided to go to out into York for drinks instead of staying in the hotel. We had a fantastic night there, in the morning we decided to have breakfast brought to our room, there was a charge of £10 just to bring it up the stairs to the room which I thought was rather steep! I have stayed in many Mercure hotel's and have always been impressed, if the room wasn't as amazing as it was we would have been very disappointed in our stay there.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. Obviously I am disappointed to read that the welcome you received was below our high standard, please accept my apology for the unpleasant experience. I would also like to take this opportunity to clarify a few points. We do not advertise a Spa on any of our websites and clearly state that the gym is off site and is a privately owned business. I can also assure you that the £10 paid was the price for the breakfast and NOT for a service charge to deliver it to your room. I would be appreciated if you could contact the hotel to provide any information that misrepresents our hotel. Unfortunately I am unable to locate your booking method and therefore have only been able to check the websites which we control.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I recently stayed here for a wedding, unfortunately our rooms was ready when we checked in but when we did our room was nice, albeit a bit of a trek which wasnt helped by the key consistently not working when we got there, if 3 times we just got the key recoded everytime we went back to the room, reception tried to reassure us it was a blip however we stay in hotels on a regular basis, and trust me it wasn't.

The food was lovely and the portions of a good size, service was excellent too, although I always think its comparing apples and pears when comparing venues abilities to cater for a large function as opposed to an intimate dinner for 2, but having experienced the catering on a large scale I would go back with my husband.

Breakfast was average for self service however the staff were very friendly and attentive, a credit to the hotel.

The hotel is very tastefully decorated and a great venue for a wedding

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

The staff certainly are a credit to the hotel, and endeavour to provide the best possible service at any given time. Our quality of food and service have consistently been of an extremely high standard, and as such is reflected in previous comments on this site. We would, however, like to thank you for providing us with a review, and look forward to your return to our hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

An excellent hotel .Clean spacious and a good breakfast.Helpful staff. We only had an overnight but would stay longer if needs be. Lovely grounds which would be great to use in the warmer weather.

Very nice central areas to read or have a drink

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelmangu6
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the very complimentary comments about the grounds, and the time you have enjoyed at our hotel. We have recently extended our grounds, in the best interest of all our guests, and we would like to welcome you back in the not too distant future to enjoy the splendour of our beautiful grounds.
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Very impressed. Wonderful stay last night. Very attentive staff; huge room; very good food (dinner + breakfast); issues dealt with swiftly; great with a hyperactive toddler ..... Wasn't expensive - excellent value for money - will stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that all your needs have been catered for during your stay, and that you found all the culinary needs and accommodation facilities to your liking. We trust that you will return to our hotel in the near future, and would like to wish you all the best for the coming new year.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
Holiday Inn Express York
Holiday Inn York
Holiday Inn York
#36 of 46 in York
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,265 reviews

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!