“Must go”

Bolams
Ranked #7 of 22 Restaurants in Sedgefield
Cuisines: British
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I dont think that you can beat Bowlams for quality food at reasonable prices. I live down the road from here and have shopped else where, however always end up going back as others simply cant compete. Down side of it is the staff really seem like they dont want to be there.

5  Thank misskmjames87

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Visited Bolams last Wednesday on our way back down South after a trip to Newcastle to visit relatives. This is the best place for meat. We arrived at about 8.10am and thought we had a long wait till 9am as we looked up the times on the net which stated 9 til 5 but they actually open at 8.30 til 5.30. Hubby and I went in to the cafe and had the fully Monty breakfast and cup of tea and toast for £9.50 for both of us and what a great feast. We then went into get our meat which was a big box of Chicken breast, 4 Briskets, 8 sausage meats, 200g Breaded Ham, and 2 Baguettes filled with 2 slices of ham and as much salad as they can get on there for £1.45 each they are delicious. All in all great value for money I for one will be returning there next year when our freezer needs replenishing. You can't get fresher meat anywhere else as it is also an Abatior at the back then the Butchery part in the middle and the shop at the front.

2  Thank JoyceFlannigan
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Have been visiting Bolams for as long as I can remember. the meat is fab and there is a great range of meats, cooked meats, cheeses and a fab bakery. However, the fresh meat has got a lot more expensive in the past few years, but I still prefer to buy from here than supermarkets. just wish it was closer.

We have been visiting the cafe for as long as it has been there as they do a fab carvery. 3.99 for a carvery and a dessert. However, the carvery fills you up so most of the time we never get a dessert. My advice is dont go in after 1.30. We went at 1.50 and despite the fact that lunch is supposed to be served til 2.00 they were clearing away at 1.50 and also the guy was clearing away the veg despite the fact he knew we were ordering 2 carverys. The woman who served us could barely speak English and she knew i was unhappy with what we were served, but chose to ignore the fact we were given the leftovers. We got one scoop of lumpy cold potato, one cold yorkshire pudding and some very watery cold vegetables. The gravy was lumpy. On hindsite I should have said we did not want the food but my mam was clearly embarrassed by my muttering about it looking horrible and the woman could not understand English. We hardly got any meat either and normally you get loads. One bad meal and I have never returned to the restaurant.
Normally you have a fab meal and the queues are massive, but this is for when the cafe opens. I would never go in after the peak lunch time of 12-1. If the normal guy is on you are assured of generous portions and nice food, but we made the mistake of going after the lunch time rush. One bad meal and I will not return.

38  Thank traceya89
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Fantastic service from this wholesale butchers open to the general public - restaurant attached brilliant as well

4  Thank Denise R
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Have shopped at the main Butchers for probably 20 years especially when we resided locally.Friends recommended the Cafe as somewhere for a good meal cheaply....we visited twice,the first time it was closed as being re-floored so went the following weekend which was the Early May Holiday...perhaps this was the mistake.

At 1.20pm there was little food selection left.....the chips had run out and no sign of any replacement,the lamb chops were scrawny and cold and the beef pie not brilliant either.
There was only one member of staff serving behind the 'carvery' and another two sitting beside the front doorway,we presume 'on break'.................the tables needed cleaning and we did that ourselves with the large rolls of industrial tissue from the counter,which also serve as napkins. The floor was pretty dirty too as there had been an influx of small children and it had been 'spread around'.......

The pudding was quite good and fairly warm although not warm enough for the jam to disolve in it.
As we left we bumped into the people who had originally recommended the cafe, they too had eaten there and were themselves not pleased with what they had found that day.........perhaps on a less busy day with more staff in action it could be a decent experience,but whatever day it is the surroundings are that of a Works Canteen not a Cafe.

Will carry on buying our meat and vegetables at the shop,if passing,but unlikely to use the cafe again.

11  Thank challenger530