Tripadvisor
Sedgefield
Post
Inbox
Search

“A poor experience, very disappointing ”
Review of The Impeccable Pig

The Impeccable Pig
Ranked #8 of 26 Restaurants in Sedgefield
Description: A restaurant with 10 rooms, a pub and a lot of character. We cherish the good things in life. We know a thing or two about impeccable wine - our list is extensive and we have a superb selection of local real ales. We serve bistro style food, with good honest ingredients. Simple. No fuss. Just great flavours. And we like to hog the bed. So we have 10 spacious and extremely comfortable rooms to lay your head. Each one is subtly themed with a tale or two behind them and some extra special features.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A very mixed experience for us at this alleged 5 star establishment. The room (Piggly Wiggly) was amazing. The bath as luxurious as the pictures led us to believe, with great water pressure so it filled up quick and created lots of bubbles. Beautiful decor, fabulous 7ft bed which was the most comfortable I have ever slept in.
Now for the bits that weren’t so great.
Firstly, the lack of flexibility around check in. There were couples arriving between 1430 and 1450 asking to check in. Each were told, no it’s 1500. Most establishments offer a little bit of flexibility with checking in. If the room is ready what is the harm in a few minutes? This also applies at dinner in the evening. Table booked for 8pm, we went through 10 minutes earlier (actually to avoid a very loud family with young children who felt it acceptable for the whole bar to listen to what ever they were looking at on their devices) - to be told the table wasn’t ready until 8. Really?? The restaurant wasn’t full and I just felt that both of these experiences were stuffy, totally unwelcoming and impolite to be honest. The whole place had an air of superiority, which didn’t help the atmosphere.
The music through out the bar and restaurant was very strange, and also loud. So much so in the corner of the bar next to the fire, my partner and I could barely hear each other.
The most disappointing part of our stay was the food. I have had a more enjoyable meal from cafes. Not what I expected at all. We had ordered Chateaubriand, and it was one of the least memorable meals I’ve ever had. Presentation was awful, 2 pots of a few salad leaves and I had ordered triple cooked chips. Firstly they were clearly frozen chips, and when they say triple cooked believe me they were so triple cooked that I couldn’t get a fork into them.
I mentioned it to the waiter who commented “yeah with the chips, they’re either really really good or they’re not” - ???? It isn’t my style to make a fuss in a restaurant, I wish I’d sent the whole lot back to be honest. We ate the Chateaubriand and vowed not to return.
Very disappointing, I wouldn’t recommend as I thought the overall experience was poor value for money, we have stayed in some really nice places for half of the price and had meals that were incredible and service to match.

2  Thank 545lynnb
Write a reviewReviews (407)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Absolutely fantastic,stayed in the Whole hog suite and have to say no expense spared on the fit out of this room,we booked a table early in the restaurant so we could get back and enjoy the hot tub and sauna and we weren't disappointed with the quality of the food,highly recommended this place for any special occasion

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I booked this for my birthday and a joint surprise for my partner. It looked like it would be pretty special and something a little different. Most of the reviews were good.
A hefty price tag of £285 before I’d even seen the room, for one night in a premium room (room only rate). As you can imagine I thought we’d be blown away. Sadly not. The room was nice and fancy and the hot tub was a good bonus but not nearly as spectacular as I’d hoped. We ate in the restaurant which was nice but again nothing special. Two shared courses and a bottle of house wine not much change from £100. I doubt I’d recommend this place on a weekend. The same room we got would’ve cost £187 on a week night. That would’ve been a fairer price for the overall experience. You can see what they’re aiming for but they’re not quite there yet. It’s part of a chain of hotels/restaurants and the owners are obviously keen to claw back their investment.

Date of visit: January 2020
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
1  Thank BIG82
Reviewed January 18, 2020 via mobile

First visit but won’t be the last. Great decor with a superb atmosphere the staff, service and food were excellent. Couldn’t fault anything at all. Well done you all deserve more than 5 stars.
⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Reviewed January 16, 2020 via mobile

Our first visit although the family have been several times.
The food is excellent, we had the set lunch which is well presented and served by very professional staff.
Superb decor.
All in all a very good meal and highly recommended.