I booked this hotel because of the good reviews it recieved on Trip Advisor. I have to say, I don't fully agree.
I'll start with the positives:
The food was pretty good! They give you a nice full breakfast (not buffet) and don't charge you for OJ or coffee if you're on a meal plan. Dinner was great every night - good variety, good presentation, good tasting. Service in the restaurant was always fantastic! Lovely servers there!
The grounds were pretty good too. Nice little sand beach, swimming pool, jacuzzi, firepit to make campfires, etc. They have kayaks, towels, etc. whatever you need.
Here's the problem, if it rains, as it often does, there is NOTHING to do. Nothing! And the rooms are so horrible that you hardly can stand spending time in there. There is nowhere on the grounds with an awning or something where you can sit outside and read or something even if it's raining. So you're literally stuck in your room.
Okay, the rooms. The good thing is - the beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean and there is a fireplace. The problem is the lighting is very, very poor. So it was very difficult to even read a book in the room (and as i said there's no where covered outside that you can go). There is a TV and DVD player which is great, but the TV is so tiny (maybe 20") and low quality you could barely watch anything on it. Plus you have to sit on these two very uncomfortable wing chairs. The whole room was very worn and tired. They used the cheapest possible toilet paper (the thinest one-ply you can imagine). I was trapped in this room for 72 hours so would have appreciated some amenities. All in all 3 out of 10.
That brings me to value. I recognize that this place is not as expensive as others. And therefore I did not expect as much. So, if it hadn't rained, this would have been fantastic value for your dollar. Keep in mind, a lot of the reason it's less expensive is becuase it's an hour further north than your typical muskoka getaway.
Lastly I will comment on the service/hosts. Many people on this site complimented the hosts. And i will agree, they seem like nice people. However, i did have a few problems with my reservation.
1. i booked this hotel for one reason only - they told me my room had a deck that is steps from the lake. I asked 10 different ways about the deck. I even asked why this room was less expensive than rooms on the second level with no deck. They said it's because of the view.
Reality - there is no deck. None of the rooms have a deck. There is no back door. There is only the front door that is on ground level with grass in front. There are doors on either side within inches. There is no way that anybody could describe this as a porch or deck or anything like that. It's absurd. That was a MAJOR disapointment. All i wanted to do, was sit on a deck and read a book and look at the lake.
2. i asked for a fridge in the room when i reserved. They said they could do that. When i got there, they said they only have one fridge and someone already has it and it's too large to move anyhow. In their defence, they did give me a styrophome cooler for my stuff.
3. I ordered an in room massage. They assured me it was a registered massage therapist for which i could get a reciept (which i claim through my insurance). They charged me $107 inc tax. As soon as the massage was done, i called the front desk to make sure i'd have an insurance receipt - they said they were looking right at it and i could grab it when i check out. When i checked out they said they couldn't find it and that they would mail it to me. A month later i emailed them for it and they thanked me for reminding them and said they would send it right away. Still nothing. So now i'm out $100!
In conclusion, i would not agree that they're great hosts. This place really has nothing special to offer. It's okay value, but rather have spent a little bit more and stayed somewhere decent. Very long winded, but hopefully helpful to someone wanting to book the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An intimate lakefront Ontario resort just 2.5 Hours north of Toronto. Specializing in weddings and four season getaways. Exceptional dining and lodging. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Northridge Inn & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Northridge Inn And Resort
- Northridge Hotel Sundridge
- Northridge Hotel Muskoka
- Northridge Resort Muskoka
- Northridge Inn & Resort Sundridge, Ontario