“Very Tired Hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Dover
The Erie Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Dover
Reviewed April 5, 2011

The staff are very friendly and helpful and the hotel is very clean, but the rooms are very tired and out of date and very over priced. Not even a coffee machine to make a pot in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Fallcolours

Reviewed October 2, 2010

During a southern Ontario road trip a friend and I stayed here for a night, having been to Port Dover several times and loving the beach town feel, we figured it would be great to just stay one night and take it all in. On top of having a really fun retro 70's dinner in the Cove room dining lounge..complete with waitresses in what appeared to be retro nurses white uniforms, the little hotel was wonderful...this place is CLEAN...as in sparkling..our bathroom that appeared to be recently updated was sparkling, and the rooms although very 'old school' are super clean...considering the price is a steal and the hotel is so convenient to be in the heart of the action in Dover this place is great....You don't have to stay at a modern upscale hotel to have a fantastic vacation. The people are super friendly, easy going and willing to help you in any way they can. This hotel is the essence of Port Dover...stay here and find out!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Coz25
Reviewed May 25, 2010

True the decor is totally 1972, and I'll go back for that anytime. But the fish dinner was absolutely outstanding. Was there with friends and we all ordered a fish dinner of some sort. Rave reivews from all in our group, including the always popular celery bread. The salad cart is a riot, 5-6 different salads, the jello and horseraish salad was the best!

See you again soon !!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank gregnkw
Reviewed September 1, 2009

First, before I do any sort of review, let me just say this one thing: The bathrooms in the restaurant "sparkled"!! Not just clean, but shining clean. So unusual, and so pleasant. Now: The Erie Beach hotel in Port Dover Ontario has many wall plaques with information and awards. One says it was started in 1946 by the Schneider family and is still run by them today. What makes the dining rooms unique - aside from excellent food - is the decor. One room (I don't have the name) still has long banquettes in gold satin. Really, it looks like a 1950's movie but still in excellent and beautiful condition. The other dining room - The Cove Room - which is where we usually eat has the following: White linen tablecloths, waitresses and waiters in uniforms - white for the women, black pants and white shirts for the men, real flowers on the tables. But neat, casual dress is all that is expected of the patrons. Service is quiet and efficient.
As to the food, first, they have this unusual small, covered salad bar cart which they wheel to your table and leave there for the meal. Like the decor, it is old-fashioned. Ours contained: horseradish jello salad (the recipe is on their website), a vegetable/pickle tray including their own pickled pumpkin, spiced apples, vegetable salad, coleslaw, coconut marshmallow salad, and cucumbers in sour cream. They also have a delicious "celery bread", which has been cut into large squares and is then lightly pan fried.
The menu leans heavily toward fish, especially yellow perch and pickerel, shrimp, scallops and whitefish. They are famous for their perch dinners, and they are excellent.
We never get to dessert after this salad bar and main.
All in all, we go to the Erie Beach restaurant at least 3 times a year (it is 2 hours away from our home) and highly recommend this unusual period piece of a place. Can't speak for the motel rooms, but the restaurant is really "one of a kind". Get a reservation, it is often full on weekends or in the high summer.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank GrandmaNel
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We didn't stay at the Erie Beach Hotel, but we dined in the Cove Room, which is exceptional for perch dinners. I just love how your dinner comes with every kind of salad your Grandmother would have served, including marshmallow and jello! Just loved the coconut cream pie for dessert and they make a fantastic martini! There were 9 of us that celebrated my dad's 74th birthday, they even put us in a private room. The service was outstanding, I really can't say enough about this place.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank JLCToronto
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Like I say in my title, this place was a lot older than I expected! I believe it's about 100 years old, built in the early 1900's. I figured I couldn't go wrong with the photo slide show they have on their website. I actually didn't think it was as nice as the slide show depicted (but still not "bad"). I had the two Queen bed room (I think it might be the only one), and it was kind of cramped. The bathroom was nicely remodeled, but on the small side. The hotel had no choice but to put the nice flat screen TV in front of the closet. I don't know if that applies to every room. The place was adequately clean, and the staff helpful. Dinner in their restauraunt was awesome! I'd really describe it as more of a classic Motel than a Hotel though. I stayed in early summer, and pretty much every guest at the hotel was a highly intoxicated partier!! That's OK though, they all stayed out late, I had no noise problems whatsoever. Could have just been the night I was there, I don't want to say 95% of the guests are always drunken slobs. Oh, the location within walking distance of everything in town is great, and it's very nice to be able to park your car there and just leave it. Also a very good monetary value, considering the resort area it's in.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank DirtFan
Reviewed January 27, 2008

We usually stay in the off-season at this Port Town on Lake Erie.
It's quiet and quaint and the locals are very friendly. The Erie Beach Hotel is located near the main beach and the main street. It's well within walking distance of many restaurants which offer local fish dinners(Perch). This hotel has 2 dining areas onsite and 2 banquet rooms. Room rates in the off-season are either $75 for a room with 1 queen bed or 2 double beds, or $100 for the 1 large room with a king bed. It's an older hotel(motel) with only 2 floors and the hallway floors sound very loud when you walk on them. Room are clean and have updated washrooms.
Room don't have alarm clocks or hairdryers in the washrooms. There are many shops within walking distance. Nightlife consists of a local club called The Norfolk Tavern which has bands on the weekends. Best place for breakfast is The Coffee Shop on the main street. A special occasion dinner must be experienced at David's, a local Martini Bar and Restaurant located on the Lake. Overall, a relaxing time in the winter season.

Stayed: January 2008
Maple Leaf Motel
Maple Leaf Motel
#1 of 2 in Delhi
Dover House Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Erie Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!