“Comfortable, Stylish, Friendly, Clean, Accomodating”

My Friends Inn Manitoulin
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Manitowaning
Oakville, Canada
“Comfortable, Stylish, Friendly, Clean, Accomodating”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This old 1960s-style drive-up motel has been cleverly renovated into a comfortable, stylish and welcoming hotel. The beds, sheets, and pillows are top quality. The bathrooms are fully renovated. Room furniture is elegant, ample, and makes you feel like you are at home. Each room has a Tassimo coffee maker with an unlimited supply of coffee, plus a fridge and microwave. Comfortable patio furniture is placed outside each room. But what makes this hotel stand out above all else are the wonderful owners, who are warm, welcoming, helpful and accommodating. I called at the last minute in a panic looking for a place to house 10 people. The owner immediately assured me that the hotel would work, and helped me figure out how many rooms I needed, suggested places for us to dine, and even offered to make reservations for us! This is a gem on the island and I definitely plan to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CarolynPod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Wow....what a wonderful stay!

My Dad and I came up from the Toronto area to visit family in Little Current. We've stayed a number of places in the area, and this is by far the best. We didn't need a cottage or cabin rental, or wilderness escape; we needed a clean, quiet, and comfortable place to stay after an 8hr drive.

Our room was immaculate. No musty smell, and the linens/towels were excellent. No curry smell either, which has been an issue in some places.

Every inch had been renovated very recently, with flat screen TV, electric fireplace, acrylic shower, geothermal heating, and so on. We had, by far, two of the best beds I've ever slept on.

We didn't use the in-room fridge or microwave, but the Tassimo was a blessing :-). Too many times we've suffered with a greasy spoon's mop water coffee.....so the Tassimo was a sight for sore eyes.

The Inn is about 25 minutes outside of Little Current, and is an easy drive. Watch for the deer!! We saw nine between Little Current and Manitowaning, not *on* the road, thankfully.

Our hosts Bob and Maureen were terrific. Thanks so much, and we hope to see you again!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Rccl_cruiser79
Wales
Reviewed May 11, 2013

After being in Algolquin Prov. park ( so quiet and peaceful) then a few days in North Bay and Sudbury ( a bit manic) to stay in Manatawaning was bliss, and to stay with Bob and Maureen in My Friends Inn took it to another level. The welcome is genuine and sincere ( and not forgetting Dawn their trusty neighbour) Nothing is to much of a problem. We had the king room, the bed was so comfortable, if I could have got it home I would have. Everything is convenient to the Inn, LCBO, Freshmart to name a few and everyone in the town/village is so friendly. If only all hosts were like these the world would be a better place. Manitoulin is a wonderful place, and we wish we could have stayed longer, perhaps another time!
Many thanks for sharing your place and time with us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Matrex
Gore Bay, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Three girlfriends and I booked a room at My Friends Inn so that we could partake in the local ladies' bonspiel. Our host was Dawn (as the owners were out of town) who couldn't have been more accommodating. Not only did Dawn make sure our room was perfect (which it was!) but she even drove us to the curling rink AND offered to come and pick us up if we needed a ride home at the end of the night. We didn't, but we sure appreciated the offer. I will definitely be back to My Friends Inn!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sue V
Espanola, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2012

When you drive up to a hotel/motel there is usually an immediate impression. When you drive up to My Friends Inn in Manitowaning you know without a doubt that this is a truly 'caring' establishment. You can feel it.
Owner/Manager/Operators Maureen and Bob Friends were successful professionals in other fields in Southern Ontario when they fell under the spell of Manitoulin Island - they never looked back.
They have imbued this small motel with the sense of their wonder and love of the Island. The grounds are inviting and well kept, the rooms are inviting and comfortable, and the Friends are inviting and caring. As an 80+ senior who totters along with a cane and who was traveling alone, I felt as if I was with Family as well as Friends. And this outreach and support was never insincere or cloying.
With the very reasonable rates, the excellent location and the wonderful quality of amenities and care and attention, it would be difficult to do better than staying with the Friends. It is an ideal base to use for exploring the Island's unique beauty in any season, for attending the Island's many arts events, concerts and shows, and for trying the Island's many fine food establishments. It is also ideal if you are just looking for accommodation for a night or two in transit to and from the mainland to the ferry.
I know I always have a place to stay with Friends!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank sharbob
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I came to Manitoulin Island with four other volunteers from the University of Ottawa for four days to do outreach in the area. It was our first time visiting Manitoulin Island and My Friends Inn, and we didn't know what to expect. Based on other reviews of the Inn, I did have good expectations of the Inn, but all of those were met and exceeded! Upon our arrival, we were greeted by Bob, who was warm, friendly and professional. Our rooms were spotless and really nice. Bob was so helpful, giving us tips on how to navigate the Island and giving us suggestions on where to eat. The best part was when after a long day working in the communities, we came back to the Inn and got to sleep in those beds! It seriously was the most comfortable bed I have ever been in (and I travel a lot). Thank you so much Bob for helping to make our trip that much better and looking out for us every step of the way! - Beckie from Science Travels

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Beckie G
Alto, Michigan
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed her because of all the other TripAdvisor reviews and they were spot on. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Maureen waited up for us as we came in on the last ferry and she was very sweet as was her husband when I called to make the reservation. Her darling cat led the way when we arrived. The motel is in a very quiet neighborhood and the room is so dark at night, we slept 10 hours!! The shower was nice and hot, but the water did run very hot and very cold several times for both my husband and me. Also would have liked to see the office open a bit earlier in the morning as we ran out of creamer. But the beds were so comfy, the room was so nice, and the Friends are super people. Overall I would stay here again in a heartbeat!! And the price was very, very reasonable.

Room Tip: There are only 7 rooms so book early!!