“Not what we wanted”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Little Current
Kelowna
“Not what we wanted”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Made the reservations on the phone and expected something more, first room was very small and not well appointed. Got another room $10,00 extra, they wanted $20. and it was #101. Larger yes bed comfortable and clean but noisy from next door and up above us. I would not stay again as there are other choices in and around the community.

Room Tip: If your not in the "deluxe rooms" I would not stay again. Had overtones of a 1950's ho...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John W
Peter g, Owner at The Hawberry Motel, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review for us. I have read your comments and fair enough agree with your statements. I myself am a new entrepreneur, came into this line of business a year ago and since then myself and my staff have worked hard to give our guests the best accommodation on the island. In one year I have improved the motel substantially, by keeping in mind that our number one priority is to make our guests feel comfortable by providing them with a neat and clean room with upgraded linens and updated technology. I still have ways to go but in due time I will have that success as well. I do recommend for you to check in at our motel on your next visit to the island, I'm sure you will notice the changes in our standard room as well as further improvements around the property.

Peter and Divya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed in this motel, sept 2013. This is very nice and clean place we stayed twice and different rooms. Both rooms were clean. Owner goes extra mile to help guest staying at their establishment.
Location is good almost 40 minutes to get ferry to Tobermory, On. I will recommend to every one if they have time to explore Manitoulin Island they can stay at this Motel and enjoy their stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ahmad m
Peter g, Owner at The Hawberry Motel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Hello,

Thank you so much for taking your time to write us a review. As per for going extra mile to help people, I believe in doing good deeds, it always pays off and it is being paid off by all your supports.

Peter and Divya.
Manchester
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed in a deluxe room (10 I think) on the ground floor of the block for two nights. The room itself was clean and spacious, with a very comfy bed. The bathroom had plenty of space with a good shower and bath. There was coffee in the office, and if you telephoned ahead they would put on a fresh pot. The deluxe room had a fridge, microwave and coffee pot. It is in easy walking distance to downtown Little Current, and while next to highway 6 did not seem to suffer from too much road noise. The deluxe rooms are accessed by stairs, so if you have limited mobility they are not the best choice of room.

My one problem with the motel was caused by another guest. The sound proofing between the upstairs and downstairs room is not perfect, and there are metal stairs to access the upper level. At 2am a guest came home drunk, argumentative and shouting, berating his wife about all her failings, stomping up the metal stairs, stamping around the room. Luckily they were only in town one night for a wedding so the next night was much more peaceful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kitty_karate
Peter g, Owner at The Hawberry Motel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience that was caused by another guest, however if I had been made aware of this incident at the time, I would have taken care of it immediately. As per Hawberry Motel's Noise Policy we would first ask the disturbing guest to respect other guests by eliminating the noise factor and if this is not taken care of then we reserve the right to ask them to leave our property.

I assure you that Hawberry Motel takes the noise policy pretty seriously as we want to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for staying with us.

Peter & Divya
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We recently got married on the Island and needed a lot of rooms for our guests to stay as majority were from out of town. Peter and Divya were wonderful from the start. They were the most accommodating of the three hotels that our guests stayed at. Their rooms are impeccably clean. They have just purchased the hotel recently and are doing a wonderful job of bringing everything more up to date. They have brand new mattresses, pillows, sheets and towels. The customer service I truly can't say enough good about. All our guests were very happy and stated that management was helpful and friendly. I would recommend staying here to anyone.

Room Tip: Make sure if you have walking difficulties that a ground floor is requested as the stairs are fairly...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Heidi S
Peter g, Owner at The Hawberry Motel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Hello Mrs. Heidi,

We are so flattered to see positive review. We truly thank you for all your support and giving us hope to achieve higher goal for this business. Hope to see you and the guest again in future.

Peter, Divya and housekeeping team.
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just returned from spending one night at the Hawberry Motel. It recently changed hands and the new owners and trying very hard to spruce the place up. The host was very friendly and accommodating. The are currently in the process of getting new mattresses for the whole place. I would not hesitate to recommend this place if you plan to stay in Little Current.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank m0m1960
Peter g, Owner at The Hawberry Motel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hello Mom1960,

Thank you so much for supporting Hawberry motel by staying with us and taking your time to write wonderful review for us. We are continually working to make the comfortable accommodation for Manitoulin island travelers, family and business people.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I brought our young boys to Manitoulin Island, and were looking for a reasonably-priced motel within walking distance of a town that also had a kitchenette (since we wanted boiled water and a fridge), and the Hawberry fit the bill! While not new, the rooms were very clean, and the deluxe room provided us with enough space to set up a playpen for our youngest to sleep without compromising our ability to walk around, have the kids toys out, or leave suitcases accessible!

The owners and staff were very accommodating, and on the rare occassion that something was forgotten (like a mat for the bathroom floor), they were quick to remedy things when it was brought to their attention. The towels and sheets were incredibly clean (the towels were so soft!), and the beds were very comfortable, even though they were quite firm. One suggestion - since there are such nice big windows in the rooms - would be to add sheers to the window coverings for privacy. The curtains were great at keeping the room dark while we slept, but it would have been nice to have natural light AND privacy during the day, especially considering other guests can walk right outside your room.

We will definitely consider visiting the Hawberry again!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank SBeavie
Peter g, Owner at The Hawberry Motel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Hello,

We're really glad your stay was pleasant and comfortable. We would like to thank you for taking your time to write great review for us. As per the sheers, we will definitely look into it. It's been one year since we have started this operation. In this one year we have done lots of upgrades and continuously doing it. Our goal is to make the best accommodation for travelers. With all of your support we are achieving that goal.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I traveled around Lake Superior and Lake Huron this summer on a motorbike. I looked for quality motels - nothing fancy, but clean. The Hawberry is a little motel with all a person needs. A big screen tv, a comfortable clean bed, a fridge, AC, and a clean yet small bathroom nicely laid out with big fluffy towels. I loved this place. The new owners really care about the property and it shows with flowers and shrubs watered daily. The place is a real gem. If you're lucky they'll provide an order of whitefish for you as well. Yummy. Seriously I don't know why Peter bought me fish when he went out to get some for the family but I was grateful! The fish was yummy - ask him where you can get some.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank marlee2013
Hello,

Thank you so much for lovely review. Hope to see you again in feature, Manitoulin fish on me.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Current
#2 of 2 in Manitowaning
Massey Motel
Massey Motel
#2 of 2 in Massey

Been to The Hawberry Motel? Share your experiences!