“New management, you need to try this again”
Review of Sturgeon River Inn - CLOSED

Sturgeon River Inn
Cuisines: American, Canadian
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The hotel and of course the resto are under new management. I arrived there last weekend as I was driving from Sault Ste Marie and after 6 weeks on the road I was tired. Stopped in a booked a room for the night.

The room itself was huge with a great view of the river, Of course with my luck I was there in winter so the river was frozen but I need to go back in the summer when I can sit outside my room or on the patio have a beer and go fishing off the docks.

As far as The Lounge resto, it was quiet while I was there but the super friendly staff not only made me feel welcome and served great food, I was convinced to stay another night just because the new owner and staff were so friendly.

Prices are lower then I thought they would be and the food came out hot and served with a smile.

I was told about issues when the previous owner ran the place, trust me, go back and give it another try, you will not be disappointed.

Just look for the sign off the 17 and head on over, bring fishing gear if you are there in the summer.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

On a Friday afternoon at 1:30, 9 family members went to this restaurant to have lunch, we were in town for a funeral. Our group did not have a reservation but the restaurant was not busy. There might have been 6 other people in the entire restaurant. Approximately 1/2 hour later, my husband and I arrived at the restaurant and joined our family, they had just placed their orders so we looked at the menu and placed our order about 15 minutes later.

As a group of now 11 people, we waited at least 45 minutes before the first order came out. We had 2 young children in our group and they ordered chocolate milk, they each had one glass of chocolate milk and when they asked for a refill, they were told there was no more.

The first two people from our group that ordered, received their meals last, long after my husband and I received ours. They had ordered a salad and a plate of nachos!

Imagine you own a restaurant/hotel on the water just off a major highway and it's a beautiful Friday afternoon in the summer. Would the staff in your restaurant consist of one person in the kitchen and one waitress????? Very poor planning in our opinion.

The funeral service was going to be held on Saturday and we were looking for a location for all the family/friends to gather for lunch after the service. Yes, we had had a very negative experience on Friday but we thought some of it might have been due to the fact that the restaurant wasn’t prepared for 11 diners at one time. As there are not very many options for a group of 20-40 diners in Sturgeon Falls, we thought The Lodge Restaurant at the Sturgeon River Inn would be the place to have everyone meet for lunch. The daughter and daughter-in-law of the deceased spoke with staff at the restaurant and told them that the following day, Saturday, we would be a group of 20-40 people and we would be arriving for lunch around 12:00 noon or shortly thereafter. We all heard this conversation take place. The staff member assured us they would be prepared and they would close off a portion of the restaurant for our group. Jokingly on the way out of the restaurant, I said to my sister-in-law, maybe we should place our order for tomorrow today. When I said it, I had no idea how true those words would ring the next day.

On Saturday after the funeral service, our group of approximately 40 people arrived at the "The Lodge Restaurant" at the Sturgeon River Inn shortly after 12:00, noon. When we walked in, the section of the restaurant we were told would be closed off for us, wasn't and there was one waitress who was standing behind the bar texting. My sister-in-law went to the waitress and said "you're expecting a group of 20-40 people today?" at which time the waitress looked at her and said "no, no one confirmed anything." What was there for us to confirm? The funeral was happening, we had told them the previous day of our arrival, obviously the waitress of the previous day did not pass on the information!

Things went from bad to worse. As our group arrived and began to sit at tables we knew things were going to be bad when we looked over at the bar and a staff member was pouring individual 4 oz glasses with water and putting straws in them! I went over and tried to explain to her that she should just put stacks of glasses on the tables with jugs of water and we could pour our own water, she just looked at me. When we first walked in there were two waitresses present but apparently one of the waitresses was rude to one of the other guests so they sent her home. This meant there was one waitress for the entire restaurant.

In our group of 40, we had a mix of people (3 young children, several elderly individuals, several severe diabetics, and many travelling from great distances). I quickly realized that we were going to be waiting a very long time if we didn’t step up to help so I started delivering water and glasses to the tables and then I picked up a pad and started taking orders. I advised the waitress of what I was doing and she was very appreciative. After taking the orders, I took them to the lady at the bar as I didn’t feel it was my place to take them to the kitchen. A half hour later I realized that the lady at the bar had just left the orders sitting on the bar so I then took the orders back to the kitchen myself.

Eventually all orders were taken and given to the kitchen staff and then the long process of waiting began. It took close to an hour before anyone got any of their drink orders. Yes, of course we thought about getting up and leaving but with such a large group and the fact that our orders were in, we thought it best that we wait it out. Several people ordered the daily special thinking that it would be fast but the first food to come out was over 2 hours after we placed our orders and that was only after my nephew, who is a cook in another city, stepped in to assist with delivering orders and my sister-in-law stepped in to do coffee.

Below is a list of issues that we had:

-Someone asked the waitress what was good off the menu and she suggested the Reuben sandwich indicating with her hands that the sandwich was at least 3 inches thick filled with smoked meat. When the sandwich arrived, there was one slice of smoked meat between 2 slices of bread.
-Several people ordered French fries with their meals but rather than doing individual orders of French fries for people, the restaurant did baskets of French fries and placed them on the tables; however none of the other food was out so people could either eat the French fries without their other food or wait until their other food arrived and then eat cold French fries.
-People made specific food requests: no mustard on a hamburger but it arrived with mustard, a club house on whole wheat but it arrived on white, people took the food anyway because they had been waiting for two hours.
-Two of the children in our group ordered chocolate milk and the waitress kept saying “I’ll bring it right out” every time she came to the table but it never arrived.
-Someone ordered mushroom caps as an appetizer, they arrived after he had finished his meal and when they arrived, they were cold.
-Many people had long distances to travel so after waiting over an hour for their food to arrive, they got up and left.
-As I said, my sister-in-law and I and our nephew helped take orders, deliver drinks and meals to our group of diners and at one point, the lady at the bar started asking us if we would help out with the other diners in the restaurant who were not part of our group.
-Our nephew ordered a spinach dip as his meal, his order was one of the very first to go in and his was almost the last meal served.
-When we left over two hours after placing our order, several people had still not received their meals.
-Our nephew who is a cook looked back into the kitchen to see what the hold up was and there were four staff members in the kitchen, there was NO need for things to take as long as they did.
-At one point when the waitress came to our table someone asked what had happened to a daily special that had been brought out and no one had claimed because she was willing to take it as her food still hadn’t arrived. The waitress said “Oh, I’ve got it in the back and I’ve been eating it.”

I could spend hours telling you about all the things that went wrong because we literally spent hours waiting.

When we were leaving the restaurant, the waitress tried to explain to us that the issue was that the staff member we had spoken to the previous day about our reservation had not passed on the information to her so she said that was going to be that staff members last day, indicating that she would be fired. The thing is, even if the information didn’t get passed on, there were 4 people in the kitchen, 1 waitress, 1 lady at the bar and a waitress they had sent home because she had been rude to diners. Rather than sending her home, they should have taken her aside and told her to pull up her socks, they should have had the lady at the bar taking orders and bussing tables, they should have organized the kitchen staff and if necessary, call in extra help from the Inn that the restaurant is located in. The customer should not suffer.

What is really interesting to note is that this restaurant has flyers on its’ bar that advertise that they do birthday’s and anniversary parties. It also reads:

“The Best Food & Service in Northern Ontario”

Believe me, this is NOT the case!

Please note that this restaurant is located in the Sturgeon River Inn and their business cards read: “Try Our Friendly Hospitality”.

Not one person of our group left satisfied or happy and everyone said they will be sure to pass on their nasty reviews to others.

3  Thank justjo008
Reviewed July 15, 2013

need to change the advertising in the rooms re breakfast hours...no breakfast
adam and val did make us a good breakfast at 11am

Reviewed May 18, 2013

excellent dinner and service served to 7 of us!
highly recommend this restaurant.
best in sturgeon falls.
New owners should advertise "new management" on their highway sign.
Good luck in your new venture!

Reviewed October 8, 2012

WOW GREAT FOOD! I love the Chicken Penne (without Mushrooms) and my boyfriend has the chicken supreme. We both share our dishes and amazing! The Chef really knows his stuff and the waiting staff were very gracious!

Their Sunday brunch (from 10-1:30) is GREAT! The Owners and Chef take their turn making your fresh omelet, RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! with a lot of selection! Including boiled and scrambled eggs, white and brown toast, home fries, sausage, bacon and ham! Pancakes and French toast. A variety of green and macaroni salads. AND LOADS OF DESSERTS!! It's amazing how much food there is!

It also doubles as a bar on nights and if you drink too much they also have a clean hotel, all the rooms facing the beautiful Sturgeon River!

Always looking forward for a meal from the SRI