“Welcoming and friendly hosts”

The Witzenberg Country Inn
Ranked #16 of 17 Tulbagh B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 25, 2014

It was great to get into the country for a weekend away - Andrew and Nan are fantastic hosts, welcoming and friendly. The rooms where great, clean and comfortable. The Witzenberg is very central and all the restaurants are within walking distance.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I was warmly welcomed by Andrew on arrival. He actually carried my suitcase up the flight of stairs. I briefly met Nan but never saw her again maybe it was because I was never there. On my first evening I sat outside in the entertainment area overlooking the pool and peaceful garden. I enquired about places to visit and Andrew gave me information on restaurants and places of interest operating times. He also has books on the history of Tulbagh and is very knowledgeable. Breakfasts were good and served by Andrew every morning and I had Buffy the dog quietly close by The Witzenberg Inn is so close to everything in the town that I could walk. When I decided to drive out on the Tuesday afternoon (New year's eve) my car had a flat tyre. Andrew kindly changed my tyre whilst I stood by and observed - got a free lesson in tyre changing. I am a light sleeper and did not sleep very well on the first night because of traffic. On my second night I had a good night's rest. I would certainly recommend the Witzenberg Inn.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Andrew B, Owner at The Witzenberg Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Brenda,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Tulbagh and the Witzenberg Country Inn.
Thank you for staying with us and for your positive feedback.

Kind regards
Andrew and Nan

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Discovered in the Golden Valley, right downtown Witzenberg, our proprietor is a fount of knowledge for the whole area. You must ask him for his free tour - he would love to show you his town and its history. (Must point out that there are extensive steps to the rooms on the second floor which may be a problem for the invalid.)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew B, Owner at The Witzenberg Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

I am delighted you enjoyed your visit to Tulbagh and that I could share some of the history of this fascinating area with you.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Andrew and Nan made us feel welcome and very well looked after. The room and en-suit was spotlessly clean and comfortable. Lovely views of the mountains from the balcony. The breakfast was hearty and delicious. Ther is a pretty little courtyard with a plunge pool which must be lovely to relax in during the warmer summer months.
Nan gave us some helpful advice on finding places that would be open on a Sunday.
Also useful to ote that there is a great biltong shop across the road.

I would recommend the Witzenburg Country Inn to anyone needing a good nights sleep in a warm friendly family run inn.

Room Tip: I am sure they are all lovely. I was in room 6 and it was great.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Andrew and Nan provide us with a warm welcome, lovely clean and spacious rooms and a hearty breakfast (for those of us that eat breakfast :) ). We go back for a few days a month when working in the area and always look forward to it, knowing we will have an enjoyable stay. Highly recommended to anyone passing through the lovely town of Tulbagh.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank RobynKadis
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had 2 nights here and thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Tulbagh. It's possibly off the tourist trail but well worth a visit . The hotel is in a great location, very quiet and within walking distance of restaurants and the lovely Kerk Street with the beautiful Cape Dutch buildings that have been restored following the 1969 earthquake.

We were made to feel very welcome by the owners.

We had a choice of rooms (it was very quiet at the time) and opted for a suite which gave us plenty of space.

The breakfast was lovely, particularly the fresh fruit.

I would certainly recommend a visit to Tulbagh with a stay at this lovely characterful Inn.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank susieesmith
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were welcomed by our friendly host Andrew who gave us an upgrade to a very spacious and clean room. When we needed to use the internet to print our tickets this was no issue and was offered free too. We did go to most of Andrews suggestions for restaurants and wine tastings and we had a wonderful time. This was more than a 3 star experience.

• Stayed: November 2012