“Small but interesting menu”
Review of The Olive Terrace

The Olive Terrace
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Tulbagh
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Olive Terrace Bistro at the Tulbagh Hotel is open 7 days a week for breakfast lunch and dinner. The a la carte menu is a celebration of South African flavours and locally sourced seasonal fruits and vegetables and we cater for vegetarian, vegan and gluten free diets. All our dishes are prepared in house. The cosy Karee lounge bar features speciality teas and coffees, draught craft beers, local gins, wines and a tapas menu together with gourmet pizzas from our wood fired oven and freshly baked scones and cakes. The restaurant supports many community initiatives including local creches and Steinthal Childrens Home, sourcing produce from the Tulbagh Community Garden and sponsoring young people through the City and Guilds Catering course. South African hospitality at its best!
Reviewed July 29, 2014

The service is great, the food tasty and well prepared (try the Peri-peri chicken livers) and the prices will suit most pockets.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
alimcrobbie, Owner at The Olive Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Hi Steph many thanks for your review. We keep the menu small, but do cater for a wide range of tastes including vegetarians and vegans. The menu is also changed seasonally to incorporate local seasonal produce. Alasdair

There are newer reviews for The Olive Terrace

Reviewed July 25, 2014

My husband and I took our family for dinner at the Olive Terrace just last month. A wide range of palettes had to be catered for with fussy teenagers and an even fussier Mom! My eldest daughter and I had a butternut and lentil bobotie which was absolutely OUTSTANDING! Tracy Young is an absolutely world class chef and the top class team she has trained from scratch are a testament to her talent!
Everybody ordered something different - my husband had the Game, and our other daughters a wrap and burger respectively. Every dish was absolutely superb - completely fautless!

The service was efficient and although one could not perhaps find fault with it, I would say it was stilted - less friendlier than we are used to at the hotel and in Tulbagh in general.

I will absolutely take our family there again and can recommend it to anyone travelling to Tulbagh. The menu is selective, well thought out and changes seasonally - which is brilliantly accommodating to the heavy temperature changes Tulbagh experiences from season to season!

alimcrobbie, Owner at The Olive Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2014

Hi Tracy many thanks for taking the time to write your review, and I'm very pleased that all your family members were happy with their meal. You're quite right, Tracy our head chef has achieved so much and has helped build a strong, imaginative and enthusiastic team, and has also found the time to tutor 2 apprentice chefs who are proving to be great members of the growing team. Hope to see you again soon. Alasdair

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Not a large veriety, but what is on the menu is fantastic. We did breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food and service was great.

alimcrobbie, Owner at The Olive Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear Norman thanks for your review. We were very pleased to hear you enjoyed the food and service, for breakfast, lunch and dinner! We don't have an extensive menu as all our dishes are fresh, and we change our menu regularly to accommodate our important local clientele and utilise the local produce that is in season. Hope to welcome you back soon Alasdair

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We enjoyed dinner at the Olive Terrace and were pleasantly surprised. Although Trip Advisor ratings place the restaurant in the top spot, I didn't have particularly high expectations, having been disappointed more than once by small-town restaurants with good reviews.
Food, however, was of very good quality, staff were warm and friendly and the meal was good value for money. The fare is very much home-cooking/bistro style - and the steak was extremely good and cooked to order. The menu caters to pretty much all tastes. Wine is available by the glass.
If you're visiting Tulbagh for a weekend, this is definitely a place worthy of a booking.

Dear Kalgran thanks for your kind review and pleased to read that we break the mold. Whether it be the hotel or the restaurant, I look at the product critically and constantly ask would I be satisfied as a guest by what we offer. I travel frequently and have the opportunity to experience many different hotels and restaurants and it helps me identify what the important ingredients are for a good hotel and restaurant. Best wishes Alasdair

Reviewed June 20, 2014

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of spending the afternoon at the Olive Terrace Restuarant which is situated at the Tulbagh Hotel. The service was fantastic and the food was superb. Id highly recommend this restuarant to anyone lucky enough to be visiting the Western Cape.

Dear Pam many thanks for your kind review. It's always a pleasure to welcome you back to the Olive Terrace, and I hope it won't be too long before you can make another trip from Durban.
Best wishes Alasdair