“another visit”
Review of The Olive Terrace

The Olive Terrace
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Tulbagh
Cuisines: Pizza, International
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Olive Terrace Bistro at the Tulbagh Hotel: open 7 days a week for breakfast lunch and dinner. The a la carte menu is a celebration of South African flavours and locally sourced seasonal fruits and vegetables and we cater for vegetarian, vegan and gluten free diets. All our dishes are prepared in our own kitchen. We also have a wood fired pizza oven. The restaurant supports many community initiatives, buying produce from the Tulbagh Community Garden and sponsoring young people through the City and Guilds Catering course.
Chichester, United Kingdom
“another visit”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was not disappointed by the meal that I had in this restaurant. The food is fresh, well presented and scrummy. Good value for money, The service courteous and attentive. The weather was cold and wet by the open fire created a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013
alimcrobbie, Owner at The Olive Terrace, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Pamela

Many thanks for your review, and returning to stay with us again.
I'm pleased you enjoyed sitting by the new wood burning stove. It has been very popular with locals and hotel guests alike.
Best wishes
Alasdair

“First class!”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We visited the area the long weekend, and since it was my wife's birthday on 9 August, I decided to take her to a nice restaurant in Tulbagh. Thanks to Tripadvisor, this restaurant caught my attention.

When I booked, I explained that we will be bringing a 2-year old, and they had no problem with that - in fact, from the moment we arrived, the staff went out of their way to make it pleasant for us.

The food was excellently prepared - try the Springbok Carpaccio for a starter. The Game fillet and sirloin were both excellently prepared. And don't forget to try the homemade ice cream!

Well done!

Visited August 2013
alimcrobbie, Owner at The Olive Terrace, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Corne
Many thanks for choosing the Olive Terrace Bistro. We have just received a Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence for 2013, and I am sure the team at the restaurant play a large part in this accolade.
They always try to go the extra mile and be accommodating.
We are busy preparing our Spring menu, maintaining out theme of using local, seasonal produce.
Kind regards

Alasdair
Somerset West, South Africa
“Supper at our Hotel”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Food was very well cooked and presented. Fresh ingredients and value for money with a warm atmosphere.

Visited July 2013
alimcrobbie, Owner at The Olive Terrace, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Suzaan Many thanks for taking the time to write your response. The restaurant looks very cosy at this time of year with the log fires burning and some hearty winter dishes on the menu. Hope to welcome you back soon. Best wishes Alasdair
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Memorable dinner”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Reasonably priced. Friendly waiter. Try the tender-cooked game with a delicious cranberry and wine reduction as well as the best chocolate souffle I ever had. The fire created a special atmosphere.

Visited July 2013
Hi Thank you for your kind comments. We are constantly reviewing our menu to keep it interesting and with a local input. Consequently the game fillet is changing to gemsbok, which will be the first time it has featured on the menu. I am very pleased you enjoyed the chocolate souffle, although it takes 20 minutes to cook, I feel like you it is worth the wait. Very pleased to read that you feel the menu is reasonably priced. I often feel daunted by menus that are too expensive and then chose my meal based on price rather than what I would really like to eat. Best wishes Alasdair
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Lovely place but average food!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great service and great atmosphere but the food was a let down! It has a fire place which was absolutely wonderful for the cold winter nights.

• Visited June 2013
Dear Lizzy thanks for taking the time to leave your review. Unfortunately, as your comments regarding the food were brief I am not able to understand your issues. I travel as an airline pilot to all continents each month, and take great note of menus, what people find appealing and the strong desire to see local produce included. I go to great lengths to gain objective feed back of our offerings and service. We employ mystery guests, who then write comprehensive reports and we respond to them, and I am encouraged by the positive reviews we generally receive on Tripadvisor. But were are always interested in constructive criticism, but I need details in order to respond. Kind regards Alasdair