“The tree houses are great!”

Vindoux Tree House Guest Farm & Spa
Manchester, UK
“The tree houses are great!”
Reviewed February 19, 2011

The tree houses are very quiet and private, have a terrace with beautiful views over vineyard, and are well furnished with good bed, fridge and jacuzzi bath (again with beautiful views). Breakfast is included and was continental style and extensive, which we took on our terrace. We really enjoyed hiring bikes (they had a couple at Vindoux but they weren't great) and cycling to nearby be vineyards and the hot stone massage included in the package (2 nights & massage).

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Great view of the vinyard! We stayed in the treehouse and it was nice and cozy....and really romantic. The place was clean. We had an excellent jacuzzi in the bath, however, there wasnt enough warm water!
Also, in case need be, there is no telephone to contact the reception at night! Do not expect much in terms of room service...you are on a treehouse after all!
However, the romatic turndown...with a bottle of wine, chocolates and rose petals in the bathroom was enough to make me smile after a really long and tiring drive! I need to thank my husband (cos it was his idea dn he paid for it!) and the staff for the surprise!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I was very disappointed with my stay at Vindoux. I was at a wedding in the area and a few of my friends and I stayed in the self-catering cottages. The beds were rock hard and I had 2 cockroaches crawling on me as the ceiling has not been sealed sufficiently. There were ants all over the bathroom and there is no mosquito repellent provided either. The milk provided was hardly sufficient for 1 cup of coffee, let alone 4. For R950 per night I have stayed in much better accommodation elsewhere. Would never recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank SJ_SAlover
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We spent a fabulous two nights at Vindoux at the start of our honeymoon in South Africa. We had a wonderful time there, and our enjoyment was augmented by the owners' friendly dogs, complete with puppies.

As it is a treehouse, though remarkably well equipped, the facilities aren't the same as in a business class hotel, for example, but for a tree in rural SA I think they're pretty good. We enjoyed a comfortable bed, tea and coffee making facilities, a fridge, a bathroom with spa bath, and a veranda overlooking the vineyards.

You do need a car to visit here as it's some way out of town. Tulbagh itself has a lot of lovely restaurants and is surrounded by wineries.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Trying to get away from the World Cup madness in the city we're headed to Tulbagh for the weekend.

The cottage (Pinotage) that we stayed in was relatively clean, bedding was comfortable and it had all the facilities one would expect in a self-catering cottage. The setting was lovely, the animals, the staff, the atmosphere and everything was great!

If I have just one negative thing to say it would be that there were lots and lots of little black worms all over the place. The common garden worm variety. There was quite a few in the bath and shower and every other area in the house. I wasn't too concerned as we were afterall in the great outdoors. My 18 month old daughter on the other hand was a bit anxious and kept asking about it.

The last night of our stay the weather turned a bit mean, it was windy and rainy and our sleep was disturbed but it was really lovely, warm and cosy indoors with the heater and a fireplace in the lounge.

So, will we return and will I recommend it? Well, we seldom go to any place more than once because there are just far too many beautiful places like Vindoux in our awesome country so we would rather try and visit as many as we could but I would recommend it and would perhaps even return in the summer and stay over in one of the tree houses :)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed at Vindoux on the last night of our round SA trip. It was recommended by friends, who loved the quirkiness of the treehouse, and I have to admit, it is quirky, and quite a lovely idea. It's a petty that the attention to detail surrounding the whole stay was so bad. We had ordered the "Romantic Turndown" which really is a box of chocolates and a bottle of sparkling wine. We had to specifically request the bottle shown on their website, as they were going to give us a much cheaper version. When we arrived, after a 5 hour drive on a 40 degree day, we were looking so forward to the sparkling wine, but it had been left on the bed in a wooden house in 40 degree heat, it was almost cooking. What's the point of that?

Good: the treehouses are pretty, quiet and private. The bed is comfortable, the bathroom large and the pool a welcome relief after the hot drive.

Bad: lack of attention to detail, very early checkout time (10am), not exactly the friendliest of welcomes, but the receptionist in the morning who served our breakfast was much nicer than the one who welcomed us.

Would I recommend it, maybe, but there are better places to go to, and I'd only go here again for the unusual accommodation - I'm not sure it is enough of a draw.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank natholian
Waltham Abbey
Reviewed September 27, 2009

My better half and I had a very nice stay here back in February 2009. Wonderful staff, awesome setting and extremely relaxing (especially if you get a massage!!). Tucked away under the Saronsberg Mountains it's lovely place just to get away from it all. We stayed in one of the Tree-houses, which was very well kitted out (for a Tree-house!!) and was comfortable, although being there in Summer a bit of Air-Con would have been appreciated, but it was fine without! There's no TV in the Tree-house, but I think that helped in making it an even more relaxing stay!

The Bush Pub serves some very good food, nothing too fancy, but very tasty (which is more important in my book!!). It also has lovely views over the orchards towards the mountains!

Last but not least is the variety of wildlife, I had great fun watching the bats at dusk! There was a large variety of bird-life too. But my favourite "wildlife" were actually the resident dogs! Especially Molly, who was gorgeous (and very brave after getting trapped in an animal trap!!) and always visited our tree-house. Usually soon after breakfast was served, by coincidence!!

All in all a very nice trip and on the list of places to go back to if we get the chance!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple