“Very friendly people who went out of their way to help me.”
Review of Plateau Lodge

Plateau Lodge
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I booked a shuttle ride with them months in advance and from the other side of the world and on *the* day it turned out I was the only passenger. They were happy to drive just me to my destination.

And then, when it turned out that I was an idiot and left my had on the shuttle, they organized a hat relay between shuttle drivers and magically my had appeared at the door of my tent only a few hours later.

They've gone above and beyond the necessary and went out of their way to make what would have been an expensive mistake right...

Room Tip: My only experience has been with their shuttle and friendliness. I can't imagine they do anythin...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Andrea T, Owner at Plateau Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad we could help and make a person smile and enjoy their holiday.

There are newer reviews for Plateau Lodge

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We used the shuttle service to and from the crossing and it was great. The driver was knowledgeable, helpful, and informative. They were prompt for pickups and dependable. Would use them again. We did not stay at the hotel/lodge. Only used the shuttle service.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea T, Owner at Plateau Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Thank you for your response. We have daily shuttles departing for the Tongariro Crossing. We are happy to pick you up from your accommodation if you are not staying with us. We try to be as flexiable as possiable for the Trampers. Andrea

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We (couple, 51 * 57) spent 3 nights there and were really and fully satisfied. The staff was exceptionally friendly, the offered shuttle to the hiking tour war exactly in time, the roms clean and the kitchen absolutely perfect.
An excellent place to explore the volcano region around, well located in the village and a perfect stay. Absolutely to recommend!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea T, Owner at Plateau Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Hello,
The weather here in the Tongariro National Park is just amazing. Sun every day. The opportunities to hike and explore the back yard is endless with oodles of sunshine. Just think in a few more months we will be covered in snow which makes the region even more special. I will pass onto our great team how much you enjoyed Plateau lodge & Plateau Shuttles.
Andrea

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The main reason I booked to stay at Plateau Lodge was for the 'free wifi' advertised. However, the 'free wifi' is misleading as it only turned out to be 20MB free, which is useless.

The 'Spa' also is not as expected with jets that are pretty much powerless and controlled by the staff in reception. So when the jets stop you have to get out of the hot tub and walk to reception to ask them to be put back on - a rather stupid system.

Another disappointment was the mass of flies in the room.

I would not recommend this hostel to my worst enemy! Stay at The Park Travellers Lodge instead. It is in an excellent location with cheap wifi, great hot tubs and has a really good value restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2013
Andrea T, Owner at Plateau Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

This comment seems to be written by the last person who wrote on trip advisor. Thank you for your valued comments you seemed to be very angry.
Young gerneration on tight budgets like to have everything for free. 40mb compliemntry on check in is our policy which allows 2-3 hours on wifi time (Depending on what you upload or download. Our Lodge is expectional clean - as you can see by other trip advisor comments. New Zealand is experience a very hot summer this year which does attrcat flies, last year we had a very wet summer - so there where less flies. Yes staying at the Park is a great hostel with all the facilities we are 15 rooms with warm & cozy rooms. Our spa is a hit - you must be the only ones who didint enjoy the free hot tub time and unfortunetly did not see the buttons on the side of the hot tub to create the soft flowing bubbles. I wish you all the best in NZ travelling with the Stray Party Bus.

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I have been travelling New Zealand with Stray and the National Park would have been one of my favourite stops if it was not for my accommodation. I booked my accommodation in advance and paid more to stay at Plateau Lodge instead of The Park so that when I arrived I could use the 'Free WIFI' to book further travel arrangements. You only get 20MB for free which wasn't enough to book anything. They then have the cheek to charge $2 per 20MB. Feeling fairly ripped off I ask the owner to see if there was anything she could offer us, she rudely said no and that was the end of that.

We decided that we should try the 'Spa', which consists of a Hot Tub with 4 useless jets, it is effectively a dirty bath tub. The controls to the 'Spa' are kept in reception so once the 'jets' stop, you have to get out to ask for them to be put back on.

The room seem to have a small fly infestation, I am not sure what had previously died in the room.

WORST hostel in The National Park. STAY AT THE PARK INSTEAD. They have more hot tubs, MUCH cheaper Internet ($4 Unlimited per day), a great restaurant and a better location and the staff are actually helpful. You are not made to feel like a second class citizen.

You would have to pay me, A LOT, to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for your feedabck. Young travellers expect alot these days for so little. When paying less then $27 a night and travelling on a shoestring budget there demands can be unreasnable Its a shame they do not respect the polices & procedures of thier accommodation.
As you you can see we have a lovely clean cozy Lodge with 15 rooms. The Park is a wonderful place if you like to have 300 people staying with you.
Our hot tub has slow releasing jets thats why its a hit tub and not Spa. Yes the button is in recpetion plus on the side of the Hot tub. We are a proud Lodge with 20 years and as you can see we very clean & tidy by reading through other trip advisor comments.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

An awesome couple owns and runs this lodge. They are knowledgeable about the area and the activities. The accommodation was exactly what we needed where we needed it. Clean, well serviced apartments, and a really social atmosphere. We thoughroughly enjoyed our "Tongariro Crossing" stay, and willbe back for our winter "Ski" stay!!!

Room Tip: Stay in apartment one or six. They are on the ends of the building and give you a bit more deck spa...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea T, Owner at Plateau Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Zeus, Andrea and Wee Cody

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at the lodge (19 in total) this time. We found the lodge to be very clean and the staffs are fantastic. Value for money and everyone is very friendly. The lodge could get "Sky" like many of the other places within the area. This would help and promote the facilities even more. Once again thanks: - we all enjoyed our stay and will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Patrick W

Patrick thank you for taking the time to comment about Plateau Lodge. We loved having you here and your party. Lets see how many will tackle Mt Doom next year. Look forward to seeing you next summer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near National Park Village
#1 of 3 in Tongariro National Park
Howards Mountain Lodge
Howards Mountain Lodge
#4 of 9 in National Park Village

Been to Plateau Lodge? Share your experiences!