The Park Hotel
Adventure Lodge & Motel(Tongariro National Park)(Great Value!)
$65
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
$120
$117
Ruapehu Mountain Motel & Lodge(Ohakune)(Great Value!)
$71
$66
  • Free Internet
TripAdvisor
All reviewstongariro crossingloft roombar and restaurantpacked lunchwalls are thincommunal kitchenschool holidaysmini fridgelamb shankstayed here for one nightopen firecommon areaspleasant stayhot tubtea and coffeeboth nightsrooms are small
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I hadn't planned on having dinner here last night as I had thought that I was just going to after-work drinkies...

There was a reasonable selection of drinks in the bar and all seemed quite reasonably priced. Throughout the night there seemed to not be enough staff at the bar, more so since all meal orders are also placed here (there is no table service) and there were consistently quite long queues at the bar...some people seemed to be waiting to get drinks or place meal orders for over ten minutes. I did like that a glass of Coke comes from can and not that bland watered-down from-the-tap ready-mix stuff.

The meal menu does not have a large selection of meals but enough to satisfy most tastes. The meals at our table ( a group of around 10) were all well-presented, arrived together and all received favourable comment. I had the 'seafood' burger which was OK but I thought could have more accurately be described as a fish burger as it wasn't much more than a piece of fish and some salad between two burger buns. Still, it tasted good and was filling after a day's work.

The dessert menu only offers a small range of options but again, more than enough to satisfy most tastes. The servings are large and VERY nice!! I would certainly come here for dessert again!

Overall, the Park offered a friendly and comfortable environment for a night out with work mates. The food was good and filling and the staff friendly and helpful. I do think that the management needs to look at addressing the queues at the bar if these are a regular occurrence - maybe last night's queues were just a one-off...

I would come back here for meals and drinks...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
TheParkTraveller, Rooms Division Manager at The Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to review your dinner out with us.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your food (especially the dessert)!

On busy nights there can be a queue to place your order; I apologise for this and hope your wait was not too long! Management will address this issue further.

Thanks again for coming to the Park for dinner and we look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We purchased a package for two nights, 2breakfast,tongariro crossing shuttle and a packed lunch. Room was unclean, small and the ensuite even smaller.Very basic and should list itself as a hostel rather than a hotel. The restaurant was AWEFUL. prices where more than some of the top places in taupo but the food was JUST AWEFUL. So called snapper was frozen & not cooked properly, tempura batter like a dough blanket and only about 10 chips with a smiggin of salad all for $24+. breakfast was just as bad. Disorganized and for the 30min we suffered it not eggs were brought out. Did not bother with the second days breakfast got it on the road. The only saving point where the reception staff who were very good. Othere staff indifferant. Thats when you copuld tell them apart from anyone else as the had NO id on to even suggest they were employees. Do not know if this was them too embarist to sa or the 'hotel' not caring that staff go around in old jeans a caps. Very lax.

Room Tip: Be prepared to be very basic
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barry A
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Travelling between Tauranga and Wellington, we decided to take an overnight break and stay somewhere we hadn't stayed before, preferably in a remote location. We decided on The Park Travellers Lodge, National Park, but when we arrived all we saw was a huge dark brown wall with tiny windows. "Let's go somewhere else" but after driving around for a bit we decided to give it a go. From the moment we walked in the front door to when we left we had nothing but excellent service. The room was more than adequate - I was impressed with the pristine white bed linen and the beautifully made bed. And I just loved the door of our room opening out into a courtyard of native and mountain plants with casual seating and the spa pools. The hotel is in need of renovation but its a Travellers Lodge and is well used and very comfortable with an in-house restaurant, bar, spa pools, communal kitchen with dining and TV room depending on individual preferences. After a soak in the spa, a game of darts and the cocktail of the day in the bar, we ate at the restaurant and enjoyed a delicious dinner cooked to perfection. The menu covered a variety of tastes; Seanair chose a pizza and I had a lamb shank - perfect!! I would definitely return to The Travellers Lodge, National Park. The view of Mt Ruapehu is spectacular.

Room Tip: I'd choose a ground floor room for the ease of walking out into the inner courtyard and the spa pools. You can hear the people walking above you but you can also hear the murmur of people speaking in rooms on either side of you. Not a problem - it's a great Kiwi experience.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
TheParkTraveller, Rooms Division Manager at The Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Hello there,

Thank you very much for your review; we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We bought a deal off a one day site, Grabone, to do the Tongariro Crossing. The Park Hotel was the accomodation. Our room was basic but comfortable with an ensuite bathroom and fridge. The bar/ restaurant were good. The breakfasts and packed lunch for the walk, included in the deal, were great. The hot tub after the walk was great too.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed at this lodge for one-night en route from Auckland to Wellington. I stayed at a premier twin bed room on the ground floor.

My room was on the small side. Decoration was slightly dated, with furniture showing signs of heavy usage. The room was warm and I felt comfortable though. The bed was cosy too.The bathroom was very spacious. All amenities like tea bags, shampoo and soap were sufficiently supplied.

I had my dinner in the in-house restaurant. The choice was limited fortunately I found the food divine. Higher quality than my expectation in such a remote location.

The staff members on front desk and the restaurant/bar were very friendly and efficient.

The Park Lodge seemed to be one of the better properties to stay in National Village.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank KeepDiscovering
TheParkTraveller, Rooms Division Manager at The Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Hello,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Park while in National Park Village. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal in the restaurant and found your room was comfortable.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback.