“Nice rooms and friendly, helpful staff :-)”

The Park Hotel Ruapehu
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Rooms are clean and tidy and pre-warmed for you when you arrive, and boy we needed that because it was freezing outside!
The staff are very helpful and warm and they really know the areas around the lodge to inform you about the various activities you can do and places to explore.

The meals were average and gets cold quickly due to the atmospheric cold temperatures. However, we got decent feeds for decent prices.

Highly recommend this place. The loft rooms are good value, as up to 4 people can stay there with 2 single beds downstairs and 1 double upstairs. I would bring your own body wash and shampoo though, as the amount provided was only enough for 1 person for 1 wash.

Lovely place to stay at overall :-)

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I booked at the Park Travellers' Lodge in mid June with the "stay 2 nights and get the 3rd night free" promotion. It was early winter, there were not many people doing Tongariro Alpine Crossing nor there was enough snow for skiing, so we got the luxury of privacy, serenity and freedom.

Both of us got the 6-bed dorm (with a fridge, surprise!) to ourselves for the course of 3 nights. There was no queue to use the ensuite bathroom. The common areas like the kitchen, fireplace, TV room, PC are quiet too. I even had the spa pool all by myself for almost an hour!

We initially planned to do freedom walking but there was no shuttle service ($35) running, we ended up following a guided tour by Adrift ($155 including transport) as recommended by the helpful reception. And gladly we did! It was icy towards the top of Red Crater and we were fully equipped with crampons, ice axe; and accompanied by an experienced guide.

It was one of the best time to do Tongariro Alpine Crossing! And The Park Travellers' Lodge is definitely the place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed at the Park for the T42 trail run, and although the rooms were ok, the service on the Saturday night was terrible, there were far too many people for the space available, and we had to queue for 40 minutes for a "gourmet" barbeque that was not worth the $35 charged, last time we do that

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I stayed here after completing the Tongariro crossing in February. I stayed in a 6 bed en suite dorm which was clean and the beds comfy and shower very powerful. It was very tight on space though, there were 5 people in the room and we were constantly tripping over each others stuff. I was travelling with 3 other girls at that point who I had met in New Zealand and I wish we had booked into the 4 bed loft apartments, for only a dollar more I think it was, you got more space as the accommodation is split over 2 levels and you also got a free drink voucher!
The main lodge area was nice though, there was a huge kitchen for self catering or a restaurant if you didn't fancy cooking. There was Global Gossip internet connection, a tv/lounge area and a bar. All in all it was a great place to rest my weary legs after the Tongariro crossing.

Room Tip: If you are travelling in a group of 4 opt for the loft rooms for more space and privacy
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank michelle p
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We did the Tongariro Crossing so stayed at this lodge for two nights. Rooms are basic but clean. No TV in the cheaper rooms (you need to pay for a delux!) and the walls are incredibly thin so you can hear any conversation or any other 'activity' next door, above and even two rooms down plus anyone walking down the wooden sidewalk just outside the window. Food is pub grub and was disappointing (can no-one in NZ make a decent curry!). Staff very helpful and well managed. Cosy interior. Mainly a backpacker place.

Room Tip: ask for a room furthest from the reception and ask if you can get a room with no-one next to you (or...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We were 7 of us, stayed in 2 loft apartments, and did the Tongariro crossing. The motel was very supportive to our stay. Nice warm wooden interiors, yummy food, and young travelers all around. The only downside is that you cant make noise post 10pm as the walls are too thin and gets very loud for others. I loved the place!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My partner and I finally decided to do the Tongariro Crossing and used an on-line special with the Park Lodge.

I have to state for the record that I am REALLY not a fan of backpacker type accommodation adn most times i have attempted to use budget facilities I have been shocked by the standard and takiness of backpacker accommodation, so I conceded to my partner and gave it one last go....

The experience was quite frankly, mindblowing! I'll explain...

Although we booked a rediculous special which included 2 nights accommodation, cooked breakfast for 2 on both mornings, a bunch of drinks vouchers, a bunch of hot drink vouchers and transfers to and from the Tongariroo crossing (uincluding 2 MASSIVE meal packs), the service we received from start to finish was as good as most 5 star hotels I've stayed at. The staff were friendly, informative, well informed and always willing to go the extra mile. I thought, having booked a special deal, we would be treated like second rate citizens... Who would have guessed?

The facilities, whilst bruised as can be expected from a backpackers lodge, far exceded my expectations and a quick rundown is as follows:

The main communal and restaurant area is homely and it's a pity the fire wasn't going! But given the 22 degree wether, that would have been silly!.

The bar is great and the staff were fantastic,

The spa pools were well kept and clean.

The room was a little cramped (we got a 2 level room with a double bed on the mezzanine. The only bad thing I have to say about the lodge is that the biggest beds they have are doubles and if you're a 6ft 4inch fella like myself, that poses a problem. Especially if you're not alone in your bed! The room was well maintained (albeit a little bashed and bruised).

The restaurant food also excededd my expectations and the beef burger and pork ribs were outstanding.

Well done The Park. If you had bigger beds we would be returning for the winter season, but unfortunately it is a deal breaker for me.

If you're after good value for money and a great atmosphere with likeminded people, I can't speak highly enough of this venue.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Tongariro National Park
Howards Mountain Lodge
Howards Mountain Lodge
#4 of 9 in National Park Village

Been to The Park Hotel Ruapehu? Share your experiences!