“Wonderful location. Friendly, helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Icehotel

Icehotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jukkasjarvi
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful location. Friendly, helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

We travelled as a family of four in August and stayed in a cabin for 4 people. the cabins themselves are adequate but nothing special.

The twin beds are v comfortable - the bunk beds good for kids but less comfy for adults. There is a total lack of storage space in the cabins - no shelves or cupboards to put things and limited hanging space with v few hangers. There is a kettle, microwave and fridge but these are not really self- catering places (don't think they aspire to be). There is no hob and very limited crockery,cutlery etc.

Two things set this place apart in summer. firstly the location is wonderful, right on the lake in the heart of the forest. It's only 15km from Kiruna but a world away in terms of beauty. Secondly, the staff we met were all without fail friendly and flexible, including email contact with them ahead of our stay. There seems to be a real "can do" approach often lacking in these kind of places. The guys at the activity centre were just great and we had a really wonderful day out rafting and fishing. Completely magical and the kids really loved it. All the activity leaders were friendly and took great care of us to make sure we had a good time. We particularly appreciated how flexible they were- they have a schedule of activities but were really helpful sorting us out with something tailored to us and our kids' ages which wasn't restricted to the advertised combinations.

Food was good - all served at the Homestead restaurant 900m up the road which is the only place they open during the summer. the menu is rather limited and I think we would had struggled a bit with the kids for more than a few days since they had both decided there was NO way they were eating reindeer.

In the winter, this place must be amazing, but we enjoyed the rather "out of season" feel.

This being Sweden, activities, food & drink are expensive although the room rate was pretty reasonable.

Room Tip: Some cabins have a lake view - might be worth asking for one of these
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank SharonSamantha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Vercelli, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

I only did the guided tour in summer, to the facilities and it was interesting to see how they make it, how they store the ice to build it, a nice guided tour, a bit expensive maybe, but interesting, maybe once I will experience how it will be to sleep there also

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Wallyontravel
Centurion, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

From a sunny warm South African climate point of view, It is cold, it is expensive but it is BEAUTIFUL and worthwhile. My review will be based purely on the Ice Hotel and it's facilities. Not taking into consideration the lovely and nice warm rooms. Also keep in mind this was in winter with not much to do. Your cold room is only that. A room. No door just a curtain but who wants privacy in that cold any case. You are dressed in layers girl!!!Their are beds, bed lights but nothing else. Some grander rooms have seating "furniture" from ice, Depending on the type of accommodation you book you may either share ablution facilities or have private facilities. We shared. You get a locker to put your bags in and lock everything away. Then you walk in your pajamas to the room. Nothing strange as most others are as well. Make sure you go to the toilet before you go to bed as the ablution facilities are in another before the time as it will get cold! Somewhere through the night I took one of the reindeer skins and put that on top of me as well. But this will be like my firewalk - no grand affair, but something to remember!! Especially the art rooms. Lovely little lounge area for warm drinks or just drinks and something light to eat. The Ice Bar was of course very interesting, All glasses are made from ice. Do not put ice in your drink, put drink in your ice!! 2 Restaurants in Jukkasjarvi, the one a little bit cheaper that the other one but more cosy and less grand. Try both. Both serve good food. You can walk to both restaurants in town. Take the bus to Kiruna for a day there. Go see for yourself and come back smiling. Do not expect too much to do, especially in winter, but for the excursions the hotel offers. Which is interesting. Summer is surely a very different story. One day I will come back for a second visit in the summer.

Room Tip: I would think all rooms in the Ice Hotel sleeps the same, they just look different.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank ZeldaMeyer
Ekero, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

We spent christmas ar the Icehotel, a very nice and strange experience. The place is absolutely beautiful, the palace/hotel made of snow and ice is a marvel and the bar and church are works of art! There is a warm area where you keep your things in lockers and where you can also take a warm shower in the morning etc. Keep in mind that some of the hype comes from people not used to cold or even snow - the introduction starts with "have you ever slept in a sleeping bag?" and naturally if below -10 degrees and sleeping outdoors/in cold environments are very exotic to you this will add to the experience! We had dinner at the restaurant and it was excellent and borrowed snow kick-bikes to visit Jukkasjärvi church and the little souvenir shop next to it, which was nice.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tomlinn
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

I've been there in December 2013. An architectural masterpiece. Snow land. The most unforgettable memory for me: SnowMobile tour on frozen rivers and seeing a Reindeer in nature! We arrived at 13.30 to Kiruna airport and sky was nearly dark. Travelling to hotel with Huskey Sleds :)
Once in a life time... A place must see...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
      Cleanliness
4 Thank deren10
Palm Bay, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Jukkasjarvi, Sweden, is becoming a common item on many bucket lists. A recent visit to this little village 120 miles North of the Artic Circle was quite interesting. Even though the Ice Hotel isn't there during the summer, for obvious reasons, the possibility to stay at a Laplandic bungalow remained. Some of the pictures show where the ice is harvested from the Thorne River, behind the property. The Ice hotel is rebuilt every year for visitors to stay at. Each winter, 50.000 people, from all over the world, make the long trip to Jukkasjarvi, to experience the Ice Hotel. We were very fortunate to get reservations to the restaurant across the street during their annual Midsummer Lunch. All the Swedish favorites were on the buffet table. Smoked reindeer was my favorite and will be yours too. What a great meal!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Randall T
Geraldton, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

We started getting the feeling the visit here wasn't going to go as well as we'd hoped when we went across to the restaurant for dinner on the first night.
Even though we were the first in the dining room, we were the last served. My partner and I watched as everyone else that came in was brought their bread, food, drinks etc. first.
We couldn't understand, as we were polite, civil and quiet like everyone else, yet there we were being treated like second-class citizens, too polite to speak up about it. We were finally served by a nice woman 10 minutes later, but she made no apologies and essentially ignored my remark when I said "I thought we'd been forgotten about". This, on top of the crazy prices for small servings of (albeit delicious) food didn't exactly put me in any mood to leave a nice tip as I usually would.
From then on, any time we returned for a meal I noticed both glaring from the woman that served me (alongside her co-workers), as well as a staff member that suddenly found something else to do when we approached to be let in to the restaurant. I wanted to put it down to paranoia, but even my partner noticed it.

A warning to those with glasses: Do NOT book and pay for any snowmobile trips, because you will be treated like a lying nuisance if you dare ask for a refund for not even being able to participate in something you've already paid for. What these people fail to tell you is that certain types of spectacle lenses -will- frost up in such bitter-cold conditions. According to the manager; I'm the first one, in her 28 years on the job, to complain about the fact that my glasses were frosting up and wouldn't allow me to see anything I paid to see in the first place. Really.
In the words of a fellow Australian we met while we were there: "That's bullsh**".
No apologies. No refunds. They were even going to charge me to take me back to the hotel after I made it clear a "positive attitude" wasn't going to help me see my surroundings any better through glasses that wouldn't defrost without constant cleaning from a cleaning solution (and no, saliva doesn't work - I had to try). After arguing and realizing the manager and her superiors weren't going to give me my money back, we settled for an "equal value" offer with other activities we didn't want to do.
Thankfully, those activities were pretty good, though they were certainly not what we paid to fly to the other side of the world for. Had they ended up giving me a refund, I may well of felt grateful enough to spend that refund money + extra to try out the 'Driving On Ice' instead. But the management's stubbornness killed off any sense of joy I had left for trying out any other activities.

Ice sculpting is quite fun and our instructor was friendly. I definitely recommend that. The Ice Bar is overpriced but you soon stop caring after you've had a few, and the bartenders were awesome (geez, I must of left around 400 SEK in tips alone now that I think back on it). Good fun.
Dinner under the stars wasn't quite what I expected but our hostess was a wonderful human being. In fact, she was the highlight of the evening; The world needs more people like her.
We didn't end up staying in one of the 'cold' rooms, though the artwork on display in those rooms is well worth a look when they're open to the public during the day. Very talented artists.

All in all however, my partner and I have both agreed that we wouldn't go back.
I'll miss our dinner hostess and the Ice Bar's bartenders (as well as some of the other friendlier workers around there), but nothing else.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
14 Thank Jeremy C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jukkasjarvi
Camp Ripan
Hotell Vinterpalatset
Aurora Camp Kurravaara
Aurora Camp Kurravaara
#11 of 15 in Kiruna

Been to Icehotel? Share your experiences!