“Amazing but very expensive”
Review of Icehotel

Icehotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jukkasjarvi
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is truly an amazing place. We spent one night in a basic cold room, I figured why pay the extra just to go to sleep as you can wander around all of them during the day. We arrived mid afternoon and had a quick tour (with guide) before a visit to the ice bar. A must but expensive. Our dinner was a 9pm so we had lots of time to kill and at -23c outdoors was not an option. There isn't really that much warm space to sit so we took a longer time showering and warming up. The restaurant was just across the road from the hotel - sometimes described as a 5* restaurant. Be warned the food is very very expensive and you don't get much choice on either the menu or the serving size. There is another restaurant at the other end of the village which at the time we wondered if we should have gone there but speaking to other people the next day it too is owned by Ice Hotel, and also had similar prices. Breakfast the next day is served across the road. Our coach to the airport wasn't due until lunchtime so we had a cold morning walking about. There is a small convenience store in the village but not much else. Overall it was a trip of a lifetime but if I did go back it would be to see the difference in artist designs for the hotel and I would be sleeping in the warm accommodation. Its very expensive but memorable.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

A magnificent moment of ice cold pleasure under snow-insulated walls.... unforgettable and something to treasure. Staff were friendly and efficient... ice sculpting, dog sledding highly recommended, so too the nearby Ice Hotel restaurant for an evening meal. But of course, the one aspect that cannot be guarantee: the Northern Lights... we were lucky enough to see then and capture them on camera - memorable and special.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I spent 1 night in one of the Ice Suites (The Nest) and 1 night in the warm accommodations. We absolutely loved the hotel and it was an incredible experience to be part of. After having stayed there I feel like staying in the Ice Suites makes it more significant. We debated on the extra cost of the suite (since you're asleep anyways and your eyes are closed so who cares?) but after staying there we both agreed that it felt a lot more meaningful to be part of that specific piece of art rather than remembering a non-descript, one-of-many room.

When it comes to sleeping it’s not the temperature that is the problem but the slipperiness of the bed and bag. The sleeping bags they give you are incredible and even wearing my lightest base layer I was too hot. The hardest part about sleeping is that the reindeer skins are very slick, as are the sleeping bags, so you constantly feel like you’re about to slide right off of the bed. This leads to the other problem of the pillows. For some reason, instead of issuing you a pillow at night with the sleeping bag, you use the ones that have been sitting on the bed all day. They tell you not to put it inside the sleeping bag because it is so cold that you will have a hard time heating up the sleeping bag and instead tell you to put your sleeping bag on top of it and use it on the outside. The problem becomes the first time you toss or turn the pillow goes flying off the bed. Now you have to stick your arm out of the sleeping bag and go fishing for it, which freezes your hand and lets cold air into the bag. It seems so silly because if they just issued you a room temperature pillow with the sleeping bag, you could put it inside the bag, avoid this whole problem and sleep a lot better. Hopefully they take it as a suggestion for next year and if not just bring your own travel pillow and use that instead.

The locker room is a bit chaotic and here is another reason to book the suite. The suite comes with its own storage/changing area (think a department store changing room). This allows you to spread your stuff out a bit more and not have to constantly pack and unpack to get it all into a small locker. This really helps due to the size and amount of cold weather clothing you need. The bathroom area with the showers and sauna was really nice and worked great.

Despite the incredible experience and the beauty of the hotel, the price makes it of questionable value. I love that I will always be able to say that I stayed there but part of me thinks I could have stayed in a regular hotel in Kiruna for a lot less and come out and bought a day pass to tour the hotel and left with 95% of the same pictures. We had a great time staying there (once) but I can’t imagine we would ever spend that kind of money to come back.

1  Thank ScottinLA2011
Reviewed February 25, 2013

First thing first - you visit the icehotel to experience an extraordinary display of art, engineering, craftmanship and to sleep in an "extreme" environment! The icehotel itself is fantastic! You get a very warm and informative welcome, and you feel right at home. You have plenty of time to view the different art, icebar, artsuites, sculptures (you can sculpture one yourself also, we did, great fun!) etc. The facilities are basic outside the icehotel, so be prepared for basic, otherwise you'll be dissapointed. This includes the dressingrooms and the warm accomodation. But they are more than okay to enjoy this fantastic experience. The surrounding area of Jukkasjervi is ok in wintertime, but I think it has more to offer during summer. We went on a snowmobile trip with an overnight stay. This was great, and is highly recommended. Once you have slept a night in the icehotel, you're ready for some action! We also got a glimpse of the northern lights, beautiful! When it comes to dining I think the Icehotel has a lot to learn. The staff is very young, and doesn't have the knowledge to serve an upscale menu. The IceMenu is not recommended. Though it was good, it was way overpriced. The presentation you imagine on icedishes is so-so. Best advice is to stick to the regular a-la-carte. The food at Hembygdgården was better than the food at the Icehotel restaurant. The venue is also more atmospheric and fits the surroundings better. All in all we had a fantastic trip! Thanks to the people who thinks out ideas like the Icehotel!

1  Thank swoosh_N
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My friend and I went as a special treat for our 50th birthday,s . We paid extra to stay in the deluxe cold room called absinthe minded it was amazing I can't go on enough about the ice sculpting . It was busy but staff were friendly and helpful. We then had a warm room on the second night and a wilderness cabin on the 3rd night. We also took huskies sledding and drove snowmobiles to the wilderness across the torre river. For that special something different trip I would truly recommend this.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe cold room it has it's own sauna ,shower and toilet and take your own ski wear
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank vanessacawe62
Reviewed February 25, 2013

There is much good to be said about this unique hotel and most visitors either do not see or do not care about what I see as problems with an operation that charges 5 star prices. On the positive side, the staff at both the Ice Hotel and "warm" hotel do an outstanding job in customer service. Because the "ice" and "warm" sections operate apart yet somewhat together, it is initially confusing if you are going to switch back and forth between the two alternatives, And that transition is the first problem. Checkout of the hotel is 11 AM and check-in is 3PM, so if you are switching, you have a 4 hour dead time. Only two places are provided if you are not doing a mid-day activity, both with limited seating - the "warm" reception lodge or the "cold" dressing room lobby, neither with that many chairs. They were usually over-crowded. And for lunch, you are left with 2 diverse choices - either the lounge choice among 3 cold sandwiches or the Ice Hotel restaurant's $25 buffet as you fight past the busloads of day tourists. There is NO middle ground meals. After the large and wonderful morning breakfast buffet, a large buffet lunch is too much, so we just skipped lunch. Dinner, the only choice is the very nice Ice Hotel gormet restaurant Not unreasonable, if that is what you want, but poor if you do not want a fancy meal. We came with great anticipation, and left having had an great experience, yet we would not recommend our friends to come in the same manner that we did. The value received verses the price is not, in my opinion, worth it. I believe that the hotel is living on reputation, and is exploiting it for every last dollar, from very pricey day activities, marginalizing your meal choices, and over- priced (even by Swedish standards and accounting for the unique "ice glasses") drink prices. An example: is I wanted to do a small currancy exchange before going back to Stockholm. The ferry to Stockholm (not known as the greatest rate) rate was 5.95 SEK to a $1US. At the Ice Hotel, they wanted to give me 5.0 SEK per $1USD. There is no rational excuse for that level of ripoff. So if I were advising people, I would stay in Kiruna, except for the night in the "Ice Hotel". There is no need to pay 5 star prices for a 2 star room in the warm hotel. So carefully pick your tours (and probably book the same type nordic activities in Kiruna at 1/2 the price or better - that is what I learned from a native on the train back to Stockholm) and minimize the travel between town and the hotel - the 20 km ride is $75 (450SEK) (taxis got together and set this steep price for 1-4 people). BTW, another irksome event is we booked our taxi through the hotel, paid the 450SEK and found ourselves sharing the cab with another couple who also paid the full fare. So in summary, spending the night in the Ice Hotel was a unique experience, but we left feeling taken advantage of - BTW we have travelled to 92 countries, so it is not some casual observation based on the fact that Sweden is an expensive country to travel in - I know when I am being taken advantage of

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Traveler5548
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Cold cold cold but oh so beautiful. Coming from Asia, the landscape and the environment couldn't be any more different. The "cold" Art suites were stunning - we stayed in the flower suite. But I admit that the sleeping bag, whilst adequately warm (room is -7C) is a bit claustrophobic for me... so sleeping soundly was not that easy ! Ultra cool ICE BAR serving vodka of course :-). The activities were also well planned but it was oh so cold (-35 to 40C) when we were there. Service was good and efficient but not great. I suppose they didn't have to when the scenery is so stunning. No regrets coming here..

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Teekeon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jukkasjarvi
Camp Ripan
#10 of 15 in Kiruna
Arctic Gourmet Cabin
Arctic Gourmet Cabin
#4 of 15 in Kiruna

Been to Icehotel? Share your experiences!