“Just magical”
Review of Icehotel

Icehotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jukkasjarvi
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We have just got back from spending the weekend at the Icehotel and we had an absolutely fantastic time. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The food is excellent - we had the special Ice menu with drinks package - a glass with each of the six courses - be warned it is a glass and not what we thought just a small amount of wine with each course, so we ended up drinking a bottle of wine each! (well one of us did!)

We had booked the snowmobiles for a trip to chase the northern lights and it was so magical to glide through the forest and see the northern lights dancing over head. We were very lucky to see the lights put on an amazing display - a complete dome of surreal lights dancing all around.
We also did the 1.5 hours dog sledge ride but I was a little disappointed - 5 of us straddling a sledge - very uncomfortable.

We slept one night in the warm room and one night in the ice room. The warm room was too warm - 24C is way too hot for me to sleep in - hubby was just fine. The ice room was not too cold minus 5C sounds really cold, but you're supplied with a fantastic sleeping bag with cotton liner. Your advised to sleep in your thermal undies with socks and hats, but I became too hot! but slept really well after I'd removed them.

Now I want to go back in the summer to see the Midnight Sun!

Room Tip: Splash out and have one of the special suites with ice sculptures.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I booked a surprise trip to the Ice hotel for myself and my girlfriend. we had spoken about going there before but never managed it. from the start we knew it would be a trip to remember and we were not disapointed in any way!

We arrived on the direct flight from london on saturday afternoon and were booked to an Ice suite (321, Cool and crazy) for the first night. transfer from the airport was quick and easy and check in took less than 5 minutes! they gave us our snow suites and showed us the warm dressing areas to use when staying in the ice rooms. quick tour of the cold accomidation and the "survival talk" and then off oa snowmobile tour in search of the northern lights.

found the northern lights, stopped for a fantastic traditional dinner at a log cabin and back in time for last orders at the ice bar.

My reason for the trip was to propose to my Girlfriend and i can think of no better setting, thankfully she said yes so just one more reason to remember this amazing place.

Sleeping in the cold rooms is an experience not to be missed. Not a great nights sleep but increadable all the same.

Warm accomidation is very comfortable and perfect base to spend the rest of the weekend. resturants are brilliant, some of the best food i have ever had. staff were always helpful, friendly and polite. the tours were well organised and again, fantastic local knowledge was given. they really made you feel very special and a valued customer at all times!

we have been to some pretty nice places in our time but this, is without doubt the most amazing place we have ever been.

its somewhere everyone should go. not cheap but worth every single penny!

Thank you Icehotel for making this a trip we will remember for ever.

Room Tip: Ice Suites are very stylish, Nordic Chalets have plenty of space and comfortable
2  Thank MrGreenHampshire
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife, daughter and I traveled to the Icehotel Jan 2-4 and can only say it was well worth the money. We took the bus transfer from the airport. For the price it my be worth while taking a taxi, as once everyone gets off the bus the check-in process is quite long if you aren't at the front of the queue. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room in the icehotel was #305 not an "art suite" but wonderful all the same. One problem we noticed with these art suites is that everyone and their uncle is walking through these rooms, and several taking pictures while their partner is lying on the bed! We all had a great nights sleep. I can imagine this night could have been very romantic, but we were traveling with the 7 year old romance killer, she had a blast! Leaving the cold and checking in to the warm room we were lucky enough to have book a dog sled excursion for 1pm as our room would not be ready until 3. We were in cabin #11, well appointed, clean and cozy with great beds. Both the restaurants were very good, though I preferred the rustic cabin- style option located 900m down the road. On the walk home we saw the northern lights! Go to the Sami museum to feed the reindeers.

Room Tip: For all the time spent in a room at -5 degrees, instead of an art suite spend the money on excursion...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank baconandbeer
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Went here for my wife's birthday and she has told me it was the best day of her life! Not quite sure if it includes our wedding and our kids births!

We just stayed one night in one of the normal ice rooms. When we booked the warm rooms etc were fully booked, so was in Kiruna the rest of the time. We flew back to the UK, the day after the night in the ice room.

It didn't start well, but don't think that was a fault of the hotel's. They could not find our booking! We booked through Expedia, so I was then ringing them to find out what had gone wrong. We eventaully found a confirmation number and they found us booked under my two middle names! This seems to be a quirk of Expedia as this has happened before. They ask for your full name for the passport, but then take different names to book the hotels with!
The Ice Hotel staff, just quickly changed the name to my first and surnames! They seemed more relieved then us!

All the staff were extremely helpful, knowledgable and kind.

We went on a tour of the hotel which was done by people who seemed enthusiastic and knowledgable.

We also went on a tour where they told us how to survive the night in the hotel. I recommend both. They are short yet informative and free.

The whole setup is brilliant and designed for your comfort. You are given large lockers to put your things in (in the warm in-side part of the complex). Your key and locker number also relates to your ice room number. Not sure what would happen if your locker wasn't big enough for your suitcases etc.

The ice hotel, it's rooms and sculptures are specatacular and brilliant imagined. Our favourites were "The Flower" inspired by the recovery in Japan after the Earthquake, and another that was Dragon themed. All the rooms were brilliant though.

In the warm or dressing rooms, there are showers, toilets and saunas.

We booked to have dinner in the restaurant, but were worried about the pricing. So we went early and asked to see the menu. A maincourse will set you back about £35!

We thought we would have one main course each and a bottle of wine. We ended up having their 4 course ice menu and their 4 course wine taster!!!! We don't like dessert wine though so they replaced this with another glass of champagne (so we had Champagne with starters, then white wine, then red, and finally Champagne with dessert).

The food was gorgeous and laid where possible on a block of ice! The wine was also very good.

When we finished our meal we were blessed to see the Northern Lights as we left the restaurant and were lucky enough to see a gorgeous display on and off for the next 3-4 hours! This capped a wonderful day for me and my wife. The best place to see the lights is behind the hotel next to/on the River.

We were in a normal ice room and once we had our sleeping bag that was good down to -35C (it was -5C when we stayed), I was actually baking. My wife had to goto the toilet in the night, which means a chilly trip back to the warm in-side part of the hotel! Some people actually give up and end up sleeping in the changing rooms in the warm part of the hotel. I found if you followed their advice, then if anything it was too hot!

Because we were only there one night we didn't don anything else, but there are snow mobile excursions, dog slegding and ice sculpting you can do, though I think it's more expensive then doing with external companies.

So we only stayed one night, but it was a fantastical experience and it has made us want to return.

Room Tip: Judging sleep quality, room service etc Seems a bit unfair for the cold rooms. However you can have...
3  Thank Steve B
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights with just 1 night in the Ice Rooms. This was definitely a once in a lifetime trip, walking out of dinner in -38 temps and seeing the northern lights is breathtaking for a lot of reasons. The atmosphere and food at the hotel were fantastic, we really enjoyed both restaurants as well as the Ice Bar. However, I do wish the "warm rooms" had a bit more atmosphere as compared to the Ice Hotel they seem a bit dull and truthfully do become a bit boring as you spend quite a bit of your day inside. We tried to mix it up by going to the bar in the afternoon or sitting by the fire in the warm lobby but when you're trying to get warm after an outdoor excursion it is easy to run out of things to do quite quickly. If I did this trip again I would probably only stay 3 nights but it was absolutely worth the visit!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CMM47
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was part of a package booked through Simply Sweden in the UK. We stayed one night in a snow room and one night in a kaamos. I can't say I enjoyed my night in the Snow Room. We went to our snow room at 1am having been snowmobiling and seeing the Northern Lights. I got about 3 hours sleep. My husband slept like a log however and loved it. At 6am I called it a day. This is when the showers open and at this time we pretty much had them to ourselves and the changing room. Breakfast is at 7 and by the time we returned at 8 it was mayhem in the changing area so I am glad we got up early. The warm room was a blessed relief and I am glad we stayed there on our second night. The thought of 3 hours sleep then a 12 hour 2 flight journey home is not something I would wish on anyone. The restaurant for dinner was amazing. The food and service were brilliant. I only managed to try 4 out of the 18 cocktails on offer in the vodka bar, but they were very good.

Room Tip: The designer sculpture rooms are not cheap and you can look around them when the hotel is open to th...
1  Thank practicepacker
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Me and my boyfriend went to the Icehotel in January 2013 for two nights. I can definitely recommend staying the first night in the warm accommodation and one night in the icehotel. It's no problem to fill a day and a half in Jukkasjärvi/Kiruna with activities.

I heard that some people book both an ice suite and a warm room for the same night, just to be safe. You really don't have to do that. The Icehotel provices you with a sleeping bad (with a liner that they wash so it's hygienic) and that sleeping bag is warm! Both me (a cool sleeper who easily gets warm) and my boyfriend (a warm sleeper who easily gets cold) were very warm sleeping in our ice suite. We chose a double sleeping bag, which might seem as a good idea if you're a couple - but it's only a good idea if you're symbiotic sleepers bordering on siamese twins. As soon as one person moves in the double bag, the other one will have to move too. And if you've got different preferences for warmth/cold you'll have a hard time finding a good position. Choose two single bags is my advice based on experience (I've slept both in a single and a double bag).

The warm accommodation is great. Clean and warm (too warm if you ask me: 24°C / 75.2°F so I had to sleep with a window open).

If you don't have warm enough clothes, don't worry. The Icehotel will provide you with boots, winter overalls, gloves, hat and balaclava for your stay, regardless of if you stay in the warm or cold accommodations. The service at the Icehotel is very friendly and a lot of the staff is local. Breakfast buffet is included in the rooms, lunch and dinner are not. There are two places to eat dinner in Jukkasjärvi: the Icehotel Restaurant (where also breakfast is served) and the Old Homestead, which has a limited menu but much more atmosphere as the building is from the 18th century. I recommend a dinner at the latter.

During your stay there's a few things to do: visiting Kiruna, the mining city that's about to be moved by the mining company, going to the Sami museum and feeding reindeer, taking a walk in the stunningly beautiful surroundings or going on dog sleigh rides, or snowmobile or horse excursions chasing the northern lights. Also, the Icehotel is open to the public during the day. Guests at the Icehotel enter for free. This also means that you can't sleep in if you're staying in a cold room, but each cold suite comes with a small warm room storage with a bench where one person can grab a power nap if required.

Room Tip: The difference between the ice room and the ice suites is that the latter are designed (see my photo...
2  Thank Michael K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jukkasjarvi
Camp Ripan
#10 of 15 in Kiruna
Arctic Gourmet Cabin
Arctic Gourmet Cabin
#4 of 15 in Kiruna

Been to Icehotel? Share your experiences!