Well, You are on Corfu but You don't like to spend all the time on the beaches? You prefer active holidays and adventures? Don't be upset! There is something exactly for the person of Your kind on Corfu. You can discover it by a bike! Most people prefer motorbikes, but for me it's not a good choice: firstly, it moves too fast to look around and really enjoy the views, secondly it requires all Your attention to be focused on the road (especially on Corfu, where mountain serpentines are frequent), thirdly, You can scarcely ride it off road. Also motorbike can break, and You'll have to learn how to call emergency services in a foreign country, while the worst possible problem with the bike is a flat. So, having a bicycle You can enjoy pleasant leisurely rides along the Corfu's mountain roads (and off-road rides as well!), look around, make stops for taking pictures, having meals in taverna's in small villages (those will be a lot tastier than the meals in the restaurants on the beaches!), or just loafing on the grass when You are tired.
If You share my interest in exploring the unknown cities and countries by a bike, You understand the two problems You may encounter:
1) where to rent a good, well-tuned and trouble-free bike (suitable for riding long distance: like 80 km/day in mountains)? Also You'll need some equipment like spare tubes, hand pump, helmet, gloves, screwdriver set).
2) obtain some ideas on "where-to-go", instructions how to get to a specific place and necessary warnings form another cyclist (since there are things which are unknown to those who drive a car: some road are too steep for a bike, somewhere You can ride off-road to find a shorter way, etc).
Well, all these things are ready for You in CorfuMountainBike shop. Look at their website: You can choose the type of bike You like (hard-tail, dual-suspension, etc) and You can be sure: they all are well-tuned! The owner of the shop is a real bike-geek, he spends all his time leading bike tours and tuning bikes. Also all the necessary equipment is provided: spare tube, pump, helmet, etc (but ask for gloves explicitly!). And more importantly: in the shop You can get first-hand instructions on where to go and how to get there, and they are instructions from an experienced cyclist. You'll be taught where You should go to enjoy the most picturesque view and get some understanding of the beautiful island of Corfu. They will provide You with a map and indicate Your tracks on it. Also if Your bike gets mistuned when You're riding, You can go to the shop, and they'll tune it for You again (it's free). Well, although in Dassia there is a huge number of motorbike rentals, bicycle rentals are no that ubiquitous. And in most cases You'll get there a bike suitable only for riding from the beach to the hotel. In the CorfuMountainBike shop You can find a reliable friend which will take You through the mountains. Remember, that all beaches are tourist-occupied places. To touch the very spirit of the island You have to visit mountains, mountain villages, small monasteries etc.
Some tips to conclude with:
1) As for a simple route first: short enough to test Your skills in climbing the mountain by bike. The route through Sokraki village seems to be well-suited for the first ride.
2) The route to the summit of Pantokrator mt is the most difficult, especially it's last part with a very steep slope. Let it be Your final challenge. But You MUST go there.
3) They have some 1-day bike tours, so if You don't like to ride on Your own, join on of these tour (this is not for me - I like solo riding).
4) Because of these tours, it would be better to call or e-mail the shop owner several days in advance just to book the bike for You. This is not absolutely necessary: most likely they will have one anyway.
5) IMPORTANT NOTE: usually the owner is in the shop in early mornings (before 10 a.m. when they start the tour) or after 3 p.m. (when they're back). If You didn't call or e-mail to them about Your intention to rent a bike, come either in the morning or after 3 p.m.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.