All reviews lovely hotel steep driveway bus stop right restaurant and bar staff reception staff cleaned every morning entertainment staff night break water polo smaller pool didn t work different nationalities the rooms were cleaned daily large bathroom friendly personnel kept immaculately clean very clean hotel
Selected filters
Reviewed May 2, 2019 via mobile

My friend and I booked into another hotel for our trip to Corfu and upon arrival it was awful and we quickly booked into this hotel instead. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the entertainment staff organised things like aerobics and dances round the pool but it wasn’t constant or any pressure to join in. The bar area and outside seating offers lovely views and we saw it being cleaned every day. The room is basic, you can see that perhaps the rooms were updated but the bathrooms not but it was clean which for me is the main thing. We had a bottle of water, wine and plate of food fruit upon arrival which was a nice touch. We went all inclusive and the food is plentiful and always a good choice, I did feel perhaps not always hot enough so perhaps a little improvement would be for the heat lamps to be adequate. The meal times are good and in between snacks are served at the bar, beer and some spirits included but not all, for example no whisky but Jack Daniels was available at €6 which may seem expensive but the measure was plentiful. There is a little shop on site but a 2 minute walk and there is a more substantial supermarket and a walk of about 20 mins you will see lots of little shops with souvenirs and you can access the beach. The beach however is pebbles for the most part and there is a stretch of sand but it is private for a resort. We came here for a four night break and rest and relaxation was top of our list rather than site seeing and we’d definitely return, icing on the cake was a full body massage for €25 in the small spa in the hotel.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
IsminiBo, Υπεύθυνος Σχέσεων με Πελάτες at Hotel Magna Graecia, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2019

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to know that our guests have enjoyed our services, the food and accommodation. All comments are welcome as they help us improve. We will be delighted to have you with us once again in the near future.

Reviewed October 24, 2018

On 17th September 2018 my partner and I went on a holiday through TUI. It was a 7-night all-inclusive holiday to The Magna Graecia Palace in Corfu. Officially it is classed as a four-star hotel, with Tui rating it a 3/5. Unfortunately, we trusted TUI instead of paying close attention to the TripAdvisor reviews. We thought some reviews were maybe just fussy as we are quite relaxed with things like hotel décor and food choice.

This holiday was the worst holiday either of us have ever been on.

We arrived at 1AM to The Magna Graecia Palace tired and hungry. We were told that on arrival we’d be given sandwiches and a bottle of water as we would have missed the buffet. We were given a bottle of water, but no food was offered, which we weren’t too bothered by. We were then shown to our room on -1 level with our ‘garden view’. The moment you start walking down the stairs the smell of mould and damp becomes very prominent. The smell at first was bearable and we decided that as we’d only use the room to sleep it wouldn’t be much of a problem.

After one hour neither of us was able to sleep because the smell had become so unbearable, and our throats were burning from whatever cleaning products had been used to try and cover the smell by the staff. We had to sit out on the terrace for the rest of the night, deciding that if we were moved, we wouldn’t let the dismal first night ruin our entire holiday. Our view was literally a couple of bushes and a wall with a sprinkler. Definitely not a garden view.

The next morning, we realised our room was situated directly under the restaurant as chairs and tables were being dragged across the floor which was incredibly loud. Luckily it didn’t wake us as we never actually got any sleep. Trucks also drove on the path that was supposedly our terrace area which was a shock when we were changing that morning.

As early as possible I asked the receptionist if we could be moved to a room on any level as long as it wasn’t -1. The receptionist very rudely told me to come back at 10am as she was too busy checking people in (there were two other people at reception). I complied and returned at ten and she told me there was no room on the complex and we would be moved to a bungalow offsite.

I was instantly nervous. I had read the reviews on the bungalows by this point (as we had spent the whole night reading the TripAdvisor reviews in horror). I explained that I would rather be onsite as I have difficulty walking uphill due to a baker’s cyst and water on my left knee. The initial hill to the hotel was fine as we weren’t planning on leaving the hotel for much of our stay as we wanted a relaxing holiday. However, she said that was our only option or speak to TUI.

They showed us to the ‘bungalow’ which was more like another block of apartments which was a 10-minute walk up a very steep hill. The apartment itself was okay however there was a dark brown stain on the bottom of the shower curtain and a large yellow stain on the blanket we were given. I repeatedly put the blanket on the floor, hoping the cleaner would replace it, but she kept putting it back on, with the stain in full view. They often piled any rubbish they had collected from the rooms just a few meters down the hill, on the floor. We only realised it was the hotel dumping the rubbish when we realised some of it was from our bins.

As well as this there were so many dead bugs on the walls we wondered how long it had been left without being repainted. – speaking of bugs- the apartment had a tree directly outside with a giant wasp’s nest hanging from it.
By this point I had given up on trying to forget the hotel’s flaws. I called TUI and asked to be moved or at least refunded and we would go elsewhere. We had previously been to a 2 star hotel in Rhodes that was far superior to this. We had spent our money so that we could have our first ‘luxury’ holiday, and this is what we were given.
TUI responded by saying a transfer to another 4-star hotel would cost us an extra £500 – which in hindsight I wish I had paid because our holiday got worse- and to transfer to a 3 star it would cost us an extra £300. They would not refund us even if we left that day to go home, which I would have done.

Throughout the week the cleaners came at random times. Sometimes early mornings, sometimes late afternoons. They knocked as they entered, and one cleaner was startled when my partner had to ask her to come back and she said she didn’t know anyone had been put into this room and was supposed to be cleaning it for the people arriving today (I have no idea where they were relocated). We started piling our luggage against our bedroom door, afraid that anyone might come in at any moment while we were sleeping.

On the day before the last was our worst encounter. Someone, we assume a member of staff in plain clothing, used a key to walk in without knocking. I had just gotten dressed and my partner was asleep on the sofa. I was in absolute shock that this man had just walked in at 6pm without knocking. I asked him what he wanted, still not sure if he was staff.

He said, “I know he is sleeping. But you need to turn off your light in the living room.” He pointed to the switch and left. I turned off the light and woke my partner, terrified of what had just happened.

Every day we were hounded by the entertainers hired by the hotel. If you said ‘no thank you’ they made a big deal out of it so that everyone around the pool could hear, which was embarrassing and childish. We both felt so uncomfortable that we actively avoided the times we knew they would be around the pool and even walked down the hill to the beach to avoid them even though this was painful for me.

The pool was clean-ish it was fine if you stayed in the middle and didn’t stray to the edges. The food was also okay, always luke-warm and we skipped every breakfast after the first because there was no taste to much of the food. The dinners were good for the first few nights but then we realised that despite theme-nights we were just having the same meal over and over. The alcohol was hideously watered down to an undrinkable extent.

These are things I would never normally complain about, but once again, we didn’t pay for a four-star hotel to have these issues.

We came back from our only holiday of this year angry and confused, only relieved that we hadn’t booked 2 weeks otherwise we would have flown home early. The hotel we had been to was certainly not a four star and we are disgusted by both the hotel and Tui.

Room tip: Do not let them take you to a room on -1 with a garden view!
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
7  Thank chl0eb981
Reviewed October 16, 2018

Stayed here for 2 weeks having booked with TUI which was best value for money having searched the internet thoroughly. All inclusive. Thought this may have been a bit restrictive but turned out to not to be. Had to be careful with dairy products but the hotel & restaurant staff were most obliging & helped all they could, although we could not trust it 100%. The ‘lunch packets’ (packed lunch) were awful & really need to be reviewed! A simple salad option would suffice. We had to buy in water as it tasted too bad, even from the bar. Reception staff were very approachable & knowledgeable. Cleaning staff worked tirelessly & did over and above what they had to, even in excessive heat. Access to the hotel is very steep with lots of steps & the only lift being inside the hotel. Free WiFi is only available in the lobby area. Nice tennis court, free to use. Location to the beach is fantastic & the views from the hotel are, too. Bus stops are everywhere & cheap, with tickets being sold in most supermarkets being the best value & easiest option as most drivers quite unapproachable! Super area, lovely island. We easily spent 2 weeks here!

Room tip: Ask for sea view & a high floor.
Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank P5777WVamandar
Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

This too is an honest review and being a very happy go lucky British person this is hard for me to do.

We had worked hard to pay for our long awaited holiday in the sun and we even went all out and bumped it up to ‘All inclusive’. We booked via ‘Onthebeach.com a double or twin room with a garden view as that was all that was left for this hotel at the time of booking. Which we chose for the 4 stars and were looking forward to some pampering and sun.

First impression on late arrival 12 p.m. Ish of the hotel was good, a nice reception area and friendly male receptionist, gave us a free drink at the bar whilst he showed another guest to their room. The view outside all lit up was lovely. All good.

Unfortunately the room let it down badly and was really not fit for any guests, more like a 1 Star. No decor, bland. We were far too tired and was really too late to complain and we thought we should just roll with it as maybe it was like this in Corfu, (we had never been) and we have been spoilt with previous hotels and holidays so said nothing. We were wrong and should have complained.

We were given a family room, ground floor with an adjoining door. No. 145. All I can say is that a member of the management should actually stay in this room to see what it’s like. With 1 double and a child bed. Our view was a door to the so called garden, the door looked like was steamed up with condensation, however it actually was made to look like that so you couldn’t see in or out so that was our actual view. Nice. The mattress was ripped and stained, there were wires showing under the headboard behind the mattress. (Not sure safe) No tea or coffee facilities provided or even water. This is expected in every hotel.

You could literally hear everything from next door like they shared your own room I.e. talking (exact words like they were next to you), snoring, toilet everything! We think due to the connecting door not being a wall! The bathroom was not good, holes in walls and sink leaked really not nice to use. The floor was always wet.

We were directly positioned under the dining room, so very early morning you could hear literally everything, chairs, tables, trolleys being dragged, heels, and chatter. Although we left tips, the cleaners only came twice during the week, they made the bed but didn’t change sheets or clean the bathroom, we had to ask reception for clean towels and my husband had to borrow a toilet roll from the gents in the end as wasn’t replenished.

The staff, apart from the man and the blonde lady receptionist and the man with the moustache who helped us with the cat who were lovely and helpful, all the rest had sour faces and literally made us feel quite uncomfortable, I don’t know if this is Corfu mannerisms but a smile doesn’t hurt.

The food in the restaurant was good at the start, however was repetitive and the sour faces of the restaurant staff and the looks we were given, even though we were dressed appropriately and were smiling, made me feel so uncomfortable that for the last three days I avoided the restaurant completely and missed breakfast and lunch that we had paid for, and we ate out in the evening to get away from uncomfortable. The head front of house man at the restaurant certainly needs customer service training.

The rest of the hotel was fine, pool area was good, pool cleaned every day, although by afternoon full of dead wasps and flies, the snack bar lady was lovely at least.

Hundreds of wasps everywhere, on the food (unhygienic), by the pool, in your rooms. Lots of people and the snack lady getting stung. Couldn’t enjoy anything in peace. Other hotels spray insecticide at least once a week? Maybe they could consider this or get a pesticide company to see to the nests at least.

Sorry we won’t be coming back.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chrissie21x2
Reviewed October 10, 2018 via mobile

*STAY AWAY* Food and drink was awful( and thats being nice ) , maids were incredibly rude and left the rooms dirtier than they found them . Air conditioning unit leaking water all over room, Toilet leaking as Well. Entertainment was just as bad . The staff in the lobby are my only positive impression of the hotel . Very old and outdated in every sense of the word.

Date of stay: October 2018