“Good value”

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Dassia
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Just returned after a week's stay at the MG. Really enjoyed the holiday and could not fault the hotel. Rooms are basic but cleaned daily with new bedding and towels. We were in one of the apartments set away from the hotel so very quiet and tranquil. The staff are friendly and helpful and the restaurant is run efficiently. For an all inclusive stay we found the food and drink very good with reasonable variety.
Went to Paleokastritsa twice on a local minibus excursion for 7 Euros return, well worth it as the beaches there are stunning. There was a good mix of nationalities there and we met some lovely people.
L & L

Room Tip: Rooms near to the pool are noisier
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lorraine L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks holiday staying at the MG.
As in previous reviews we can confirm that the rooms are indeed dated and the exterior of the hotel requires a lick of paint.
The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, and most other staff were friendly too.
The food was fine although quite repetitive, and not always labelled to say what it was.
We found the cereals were borderline stale and the milk was always warm.
The rooms were cleaned every single day though and clean towels provided too.
The evening entertainment really wasn't that great, but you could see that they were trying.
The pool was good although could do with a clean and we also found many of the sun beds to have lots of cracks in them.
Over all our stay was pleasant though, and the negatives of the MG didn't really spoil our holiday.
How ever we feel this hotel is definitely not a 4 star accommodation as advertised (perhaps maybe when it first opened), but more like a 2 star - 3 star at a push.

Room Tip: Ask for air conditioning and don't stay near to the rear balcony of the hotel where they have th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

After reading some of the reviews on trip advisor before we went, i was a bit worried about what to expect, we were pleasantly suprised!

Although the hotel could do with a bit of updating its was spotless! towels changed and rooms cleaned daily! The pool area was also very clean.

The food was good with lots of choice. Breakfast consisted of full cooked breakfast, bread/toast, pastries, fruit and a selection of ham and cheeses. Lunch was salads, break, hot selection, fruit/desserts and ice cream and evening meal was similar to lunch although a different selection of hot meals. I'd say there is definitely something for everyone...usually a pasta dish with sauce, traditional greek option, 2 meat selections, a fish option and chips for those that feel the need for them.

As for the area...its generally quite quiet, there a few local bars for those that want to stay out later, a large variety of restaurants serving anything from traditional greek food to pizza and burgers and numerous small shops to buy any snacks/drinks if needed.

We spent a few days the pool at the hotel but also a couple of days by the beach. It is a shingle beach but the water is very clear.
I'd recommend the short walk down to malibu beach bar where you can hire very comfortable sun loungers for 6 euro for 2 or as we did a beach bed for 10 euro (definitely worth the extra). The staff there are very friendly. They serve drinks, cocktails and a selection of bar snacks and meals. There is also a pool set back slightly from the beach which is lovely, best of both worlds if you go down to malibu beach bar.

Overall a very enjoyable holiday and well worth the money we paid. I'm not sure what people expect for their money, but i feel that some of the more negative reviews on here are uncalled for.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mala1985
dpcsk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

Spent a fortnight at the MG in August with my husband and two daughters. I appreciate that you get what you pay for and I am pretty happy if I have a clean bed and shower but there were definitely pluses and minuses. On the plus side most of the staff are lovely and friendly. The waiters behind the bar were great and the guy in the snack bar/pool bar was also very nice. The pool is a great size and the one on the opposite side of the hotel is lovely and peaceful. The hotel is situated in a nice spot and its not too far to the beach. On the minus side most of the sunbeds were broken and I saw two instances where people sat on them and they snapped in two. If you have a room on the lower ground and you have an adjoining door to the next room and its not your family in it - buy yourself some ear plugs. You can hear everything. Our first lot of neighbours were very considerate and although we could hear them at night, you could tell they were being considerate. We had new neighbours for the last 3 days of our holiday. They came in at 1.00am,, argued til about 2am, put the TV on at that time and then their phone alarm would go off at 3am! The hotel is a little dated but clean enough and the cleaners came in every day. The food is average but there is enough although you can easily get bored with it. Our holiday was ok but I did feel it was spoilt by other guests and one member of staff. I have never been anywhere where people have been so rude. I had people be unpleasant to my children and others and myself. I would advise that if you want a quiet hotel go out of season or go to one without children. It was the school summer holidays and there were a few of them and they make noise - thats what children do! One of the male staff was forever coming on strong to women who seemed to be on holiday without a man. At first it was funny but after a while it got to be unpleasant. I dont think I would go back.

2 Thank dpcsk
Sofia, Bulgaria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We spend one week in Magna Graecia and just come back. The only friendly members of the staff were the Receptionists and the Room keepers. We do thank them. Let's make this story short - never again and, at our vision, is fair to recommend to other people not to book this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ivo D

Travelers are raving about these Dassia hotels

Northants
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed at the Magna Graecia from 28 August for one week – our first visit to Greece.

We arrived just before 9pm and the receptionist picked up the phone as we walked through the main entrance. I thought this was rude but was quickly mistaken when I realised she was calling the restaurant (which closes at 9pm) to let them know of new arrivals. She welcomed us and quickly put on our all inclusive wrist bands and ushered us towards the restaurant so we get something to eat. This was a good start and I was grateful for her effort. After eating we were welcomed back and completed our check in. We were in room 145 which was actually on ground level. The room was large with a double bed and bunk beds that were located behind a wall and up two steps. The room was mostly clean, other than a few dust balls behind the bed and dressing table. The bathroom was a good size but was a bit scruffy. It had been made as a wet room with a shower tray and curtain in the corner that were small and difficult to manage. The water poured over the tray and the curtain pole was held up by elastic bands, the small shelf for shampoo was also hanging off the wall! The grout between the tiles was black and needed a good scrub. The toilet and sink were clean and there were plenty of clean fresh towels.

The wardrobe had a fusty/damp smell but I sprayed it with body mist and it seemed to kill it off. There were no coat hangers but luckily I took my own.

The all inclusive was good but the drinks selection was limited – brandy, gin, vodka and ouzo, beer, red and white wine and then soft drinks along with tea and coffee. All drinks were nice though. At night you could only ask for two drinks but during the day it wasn’t so strict.

I can honestly say that all staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and always managed a smile – which is surprising considering how rude some people are (mostly non-English I have to say – who would ask for a drink without any please or thank you!)

The food was nice. I’ve often wondered why people write about food being repetitive but now I know! Whilst the food was of good quality and mostly hot, there was a limited selection and it was repeated 2 or 3 times in the week we were there. Breakfast was mostly the same with a variation of potato slices, potato balls or hash browns, with scrambled egg (the best we’ve had away from home), baked beans, sausages (hot dog type), boiled eggs and the continental selection along with toast and pastries. All drinks in the restaurant are served in glasses, whereas outside of here they are served in small plastic cups.

One of the best features of the hotel is the pool – it’s big and at the right temperature. It varies in depth – up to almost 4 metres. My only gripe is that the pool was cleaned daily but there is a ledge inside the pool that needed a scrub! The pool area itself was nice with plenty of sun loungers; although I have to agree with others that quite a few were broken – one man was sitting on his and it literally snapped in half! This is the first hotel I’ve been to where the pool area isn’t hosed down daily; this meant the floor was a bit grubby in places.

One of my other favourites was the ice cream. You served yourself and I have to say it’s delicious – a choice of vanilla, strawberry and chocolate.

The entertainment was pretty poor. I think there was a professional dancing act one night but the rest was the entertainment team (a girl and a bloke!) who worked very hard night and day involving the guests (adults and kids). There was a kids mini disco every night but it wasn’t until about 9.30 and then something followed this. During the day there was aqua gym, darts, water polo, ping pong and so on.

One thing I would add is that this hotel has lots and lots of steps and is up a relatively steep hill from the roadside. I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone who doesn’t manage steps very well as every aspect of the hotel involves steps!

I would probably return to this hotel, but not for a family holiday and only for a few days for a short break.

3 Thank KITTNorthants
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Recently back from a week in Magna Graecia and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Every member of staff we spoke to was very pleasant, friendly and helpful, Our requests were dealt with immediately and nothing was ever too much trouble for them.
We had a room on the second floor over the front of the hotel and although there were a few parked cars, it could hardly be classed as a car park and certainly didn't cause a disturbance.
The rooms are a little dated and maybe tiles would be more practical than carpet but they are immaculately clean and serviced daily. Air con was a great bonus and could be altered as required.
The food was plentiful, tasty and always replenished. There was a good variety each day, along with a great selection of fresh salads and breads and I'm sure even the fussiest eater wouldn't go hungry at any mealtime.
Pool area was lovely. We didn't stay up too late at night but there seemed to be different entertainment each night a following the mini disco.
The bar service was great and although there's not a huge variety in the all inclusive package, what they serve is certainly drinkable - local spirits, wine, beer, soft drinks. Coffee and ice cream are also available throughout the day.
Overall, was really pleased with our stay - every member of staff worked tirelessly to make our holiday a good one and I would definitely return.

3 Thank ljv2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dassia
Mareblue Beach Resort
#4 of 16 in Dassia
Daphnila Bay Thalasso
Daphnila Bay Thalasso
#1 of 16 in Dassia

Been to Hotel Magna Graecia? Share your experiences!