“Beautiful views and amazing restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Farmhouse Hotel

The Farmhouse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Langebaan
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Beautiful views and amazing restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel has amazing views of the Langebaan Lagoon, very quiet area. We stayed 2 days after our wedding and it was amazing. The service is great and everyone at the hotel was very friendly. We wanted to order room service the first night and there was no info in the room so we went down to the restaurant to order and was told that we can just phone reception if theres anything we want, need or want to know.
So tip to other travellers, if theres no info in the room about something, dont assume they dont offer it, just phone reception and ask, they make a plan :)
The food at their restaurant is amazing!! We ate there before and was one of the main reasons we decided we had to go back and stay at the hotel.
We stayed in a loft room which was nice and big. Bed was very comfortable!!

Room Tip: I belive all the rooms have great views, but ask for a quiet room if you want to sleep late in the m...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jake B, General Manager at The Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Hi Isabella,
I appreciate your feedback and would certainly agree that the food here is good. As you said we try our best to accommodate guests no matter what they require. We do advertise that some of our rooms are a little noisy in the early morning but we believe this is part of the farm feel. Our classic, superior and luxury rooms will be a good option for your next stay. Long may you enjoy married life and we hope to see you for your anniversary.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Welgemoed, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Lovely atmosphore, love the history to the place and beautifully restored old farm house will definitely come again!

Pitty the weather wasn't warmer would have loved to make use of your pool!

Food was good and loved the setting in the restaurant with the open fire place.

Room Tip: Room 12 best views and very spacious!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Adam4072
Hi Adam,
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the farmhouses character. We work hard to keep this farm character which makes us Iconic. See you again soon.
Bremen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We booked the location in advance assuming to get the best stay in Langebaan no matter the costs. We hit the place on afternoon after a long trip in February 2013. We rented the best room to be sure. The receptionist was very formal and abrupt. Better no questions... The room was very nice with a view over the Langebaan lagoon. The furniture was old and clearly used. The beds were fine and big enough. Bathroom good in size and equipment. TV-set ok. Everything has a certain "used" charm. The stairway and footpath to the room and around the hotel were not swept so a lot of dirt were brought into the room (the first time I saw this in a hotel in South Africa). The dining rooms are spacious and nicely furnished. But everything in this spot appears a little faded out. The mood was almost depressive and I cant tell that we felt very welcome to say the least. At breakfast we had more than 3 times to ask for coffee and 4 times for ketchup. The atmosphere was cold. No easy conversation, no happiness at all and there was kind of a depression in the air... We honestly were lucky to leave the next morning. The overall impression was more or less that there was a nice spot with a great chance of being "the hotspot" of Langebaan but they fail... The hotels flyer suggests a different experience!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi Louis,
It would seem that you certainly did not enjoy the sort of hospitality we work very hard to achieve at the Farmhouse and I apologise for this. Whilst we pride the age of our building and the old school charm we do not accept dirty facilities or poor service. I have noted your feedback and we hope your next stay will be more to your expectation.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Our stay was very pleasant in this beautifully restored hotel. The staff were friendly and efficient and the overall service and experience was satisfying and worthwhile. My only 'gripe' is that it wasn't hotter so therefore we didn't make full use of the magnificent pool environment..

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jake B, General Manager at The Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Hi Nicci,
Many thanks for the positive feedback. You now have the perfect excuse to come back and relax around the pool. If you come and spend a weekend here in summer I will offer you a cocktail on the house for around the pool.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I hope this email reaches the Management (especially the Reservations Management)… I stayed at your hotel on Sunday 30/3/3013 i.e. checked in at around 2.30pm and checked out the following day. I called at about 12noon on Sunday afternoon, so very last minute and spoke to your very friendly lady (Carmelita) at the reception. I was enquiring for accommodation for 1 family i.e. my husband, myself and our two kids (6 & 8 years) and my mother-in-law. So effectively I was looking for two rooms, one for me and hubby and kids and the second room for my mother-in-law.

Anyway I was told that there was no availability except for the cottage at R3400, but to add an extra bed was an extra R250. So the total rate was R3650, I asked if we can perhaps get a reduction because it was so last minute and was told that she will confirm with the reservations manager and revert within 10min. Anyway, I waited for 10 minutes and did not get any return call. I waited for a further 20 minutes and still not return call so I called back. I was told that they were waiting on the reservations manager who had not yet responded.
I had just the previous day done the 2 Oceans Ultra Marathon and was looking for a little get-way and we all decided on the get away to be Langebaan to chill, and I really could not be bothered to spend ages looking for accommodation. Your Farmhouse Hotel was highly recommended by friends we I came to Langbaan last year to do the Weskus Marathon. Which we could not get last year because it was all full that time.

We drove to Langebaan anyway and I said to Carmelita my phone will be on so once the reservations manager arrive he/she should still call me. Well by the time we arrived I did not get any call and again asked for a reduction, but nothing was forthcoming. Anyway, we checked in and all I can say I was very disappointed in the cottage no 16 we were put in. But I did not have a choice. It was old inside and not what I expected for the price we were paying. No bath at all for the kids, it was really just not worth it. It was old and tired all round, showers, kitchnet, cupboards.

Then today I look on other websites offering you Farmhouse and that very room that we had to pay R3650 for was much less for the weekend rate in fact here was one advertising R2800. Anyway, it is Monday today, I feel like we spent lots of money on a room that I was really disappointed in and not a word from you Reservations Manager that was supposed to call me back with a better rate…

I am back there for the Weskus Marathon on the 20th April, but your hotel will no me my preferred choice.

Room Tip: Dont choose room 16, it is expensive and not worth paying which i did which was R3650 on a very last...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jake B, General Manager at The Farmhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hi Lynn,
I know you have already spoken to Angelee from reservations and she has explained the situation regarding why she never called or why no one called. There should have been no reason for Carmelita to make you wait for answers. It is very standard practice to offer a reduced rate on such a last minute booking. Carmelita has since left us.
With regards to the room, I understand that the rooms have no bath which for some guests with 6 & 8 year old kids may be a problem and for some not. A number of our rooms dont have showers and we do not hide this as we understand the risk and try to manage guest expectation. We are very proud of our cottage (Room 16 ) and feel its priced right in the market but you should have got a better last minute rate.
The Farmhouse hotel is a different experience and is meant to give a more simple farm feel unlike our 5* hotels in our portfolio. We try to market it like this and we want to keep the traditional feel of the building. Sometimes the downside to a last minute booking is you are not sure of the expectation and you may not have a choice on the room based on what is available at the time. Had you have taken one of our superior rooms you may have had a different experience but this is not the ideal room for a family. Very often when the start of your experience is managed badly this can carry through the entire stay.

We will certainly follow up on your feedback and, as I know you stay near one of our larger hotels in Cape Town, you may wish to stay at Harbour House in Hermanus, which is a slighlty different feel to what the farmhouse offers. We would love to have you stay in any of our hotels.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had the most amazing stay at Paradise Beach (Speelhuis) and the customer service received from the Farmhouse staff was awesome. The studio was spotless and beautiful. Ben made us feel very welcome :) We did however have a problem with the DSTV on our last day but the complimentry breakfast offered to us made up for it. We didn't watch much television anyway.

I have suggested this accommodation to all my friends. My husband and I will definitely be back soon!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Megan,m
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Speelhuis studios. I apologise about the DSTV, therer was an admin error with some of the cards which resulted in services being cut. This was a national problem but once again I apologise for this nd look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Brackenfell, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

The "Speelhuis" apartment is in a fantastic location, and very well designed. The bed was very comfortable and I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon naps on the hammock. My husband and I enjoy the occasional braai and a portable braai could easily fit on the balcony area - the only thing that might keep us from coming back. Generally, a very pleasant stay - thank you,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Madali,
We are pleased to hear that you had such a great stay. Unfortunately the braai on the balcony is not allowed as per regulations in the area. See you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langebaan
Club Mykonos
#1 of 6 in Langebaan
Crystal Lagoon Lodge
Crystal Lagoon Lodge
#3 of 10 in Langebaan

Been to The Farmhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!