“Food not good”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Akaslompolo
Devon, United Kingdom
“Food not good”
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We stayed in the Yllas Log Cabins on a half board basis using this hotel for meals, travelling with Inghams. Limited selection, often food served tepid or cold, always chips and bread available at meals to fill yourself up. Gala Santa Xmas dinner disappointment.

1 Thank Jenny1Devon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Wow!!! we got back from lapland this afternoon. It was an amazing experience. I booked it and went with my sister. All of the staff where fantastic. no problems at all. the rooms are very basic but you have gone there for the snow, santa and scenery! Not the room! It was clean so no complaints. Although i did hear if you get the chance to book an appartment as these are apparently very nice. Everywhere in the hotel grounds is lovely. a supermarket just down the road. Lapland is on the euro so very expensive for everything.
Trips: What you get with the package is more than enough however i suppose if you are only going to lapland once then you should do more. We decided to do the reindeer safari and it was fabulous. We ever saw the northern lights!!!
Food : The hotel food is horrible i wont lie!! We did go hungry. We did have chip buns every day haha! but again its such an experiance that it didnt matter.
Staff: Lovely staff got no complaints. Wishlist laura is very helpful and both entertainers are lovely!:)
When you go for your dinner you can hang up your snow suits i did so and someone took mine!!! i dont quite understand why but there we go ! some strange people in the world i guess?! I got a new one straight away as i got intouch with the entertainers and they drove and got me one! so kind as it was minus 25 so no way i would have been warm enough haha!
Before you go make sure you have lots of thin layers this was a good tip and this keeps you alot warmer than thick layers?! Two pairs of socks. thermals i would reccomend too.
I cant think of anything else i wanted to say. But the holiday was AMAZING from start to finish and i would reccommend it to anyone that asks:) We acted big kids again at 21 and 16 haha! ENJOY!!!

Room Tip: Get an appartment if you can!
1 Thank Princessabbi21
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Went to the snow elf last week and had a fab time. Kids entertainment at night - Thomson the dog telling stories for the younger kids and then a disco afterwards 8pm-9.30 (selected nights)
food was limited but very very nice.
They had what I'd call a 'holiday full english'. bacon, hot dogs sausages, beans, egg etc aswell as loads of fruit/bread/cereals etc.
Full board but soft drinks and warm drinks ie tea, coffee and hot choc all inc at meals times. Drinks at the bar are expensive but we didn't stay out late anyway as no kids in the restaurant/bar after 9pm, which is just as well cos they're all worn out from the days activities!

Laura was fab, always knew the answers to our questions :) Studolph fab as well. Lovely staff.

Stayed in a log cabin, was out of this world! Sauna, log burn fire, all the stuff you need to cook yourself even though we were full board. Just beautiful :)

Fab hotel, would love to go back soon :)

Room Tip: Cabins were fab, even though we thought we'd booked the hotel we ended up in a cabin which was U...
Doncaster
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I would never book any holiday or overnight accommodation without first consulting Trip Advisor, and this is the first time ever that I have been let down.

We were given our key for our apartment on the coach to the Hotel, and were dropped off right outside the Apartment blocks. We opened the door to the apartment and could not believe how dirty it was, firstly we thought that guests were still in there, but it had just not been cleaned from the previous guests. Food all over the worktops, dirty cups, and badly stained towels all over, not what you want your children to see and defiantly not after paying the extortionate tour operators prices for a 4 day break.

When I finally found the reception, I was told I was to wait 3 hours for the cleaners, I was also astonished to find several people in the same predicament, one guest that was staying in the hotel did not get her room key until later that evening.

I found the staff to be abrupt and unfriendly, and on a couple of occasions, if I had not noticed I would have been short changed at the bar – so watch your change!!

Food – Appalling. Breakfast consisted of cold boiled eggs, scrambled egg made with egg powder (this looked awful), mini hot dog sausages, bean juice, and bacon. You can make yourself a waffle, although on the first morning the waitress unplugged the machine in front of me while I was stood there waiting for it to be cooked. The choice on an evening was limited to one – two choices, and I had to laugh when I looked at the menu and the child option that day were: Chips!!! And unless you stood and waited for the chef to replenish food, the food would be just warm. I must say that the bread was very good.

Pool – Everyone was complaining how cold the water was in the pool, my daughter did use the pool for about 15 minutes but soon got out as it was so cold, I dipped my toe in and decided to pass!

Although I never experience the noise, a lot of people who were staying in the hotel were upset about the tractor scraping the fresh snow from the car park in the early hours of the morning.

I would have expected in our room some form of tea/coffee making facilities, but it had nothing, not even a kettle, however the room was very spacious and warm, and the sauna was fantastic. TIP: to lock your door all you have to do is slam the door, nowhere does it tell you this, and to get fire logs for the fire there are wood huts outside where these are stored and free to take.

I booked this hotel from Trip Advisors recommendations, because it had a pool, and for the promise from the tour operator it was child friendly. All children had to leave the bar at 9pm, soft drinks were €3.75 and there were very limited sledges – so I would find one on your first day and hold onto it!

We did get the bus from the hotel to the local ski slopes, €3 per person each way, these run very frequently and it was a great day out.

For people who are travelling this year, I would recommend you take extra food, for people who are thinking of booking in the future, I would think twice, although the cleaning issue may have been a one off.

Although I was very disappointed with the whole experience, our daughter had a fantastic time which is all that matters, but equally she probably would have just been as happy anywhere with other children, a sledge and snow!!!

1 Thank Rachel4444
Doncaster

2 Thank Rachel4444
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2011

My wife decided she wanted us to do something different this year!!! Guess what we won't be doing anything different next year,our once in a lifetime trip will be never ever in a lifetime again.
Where to start!,Flight out ok food out foul and expensive just a taste of things to come.got talking to Darren who was travelling with his wife kara and two children this helped while the three hour flight away,maybe be its me but with a flight full of children excited at the prospect of snow and Santa you would have a little entertainment on board no not at all.once we arrived in the winter wonderland we boarded our coach for the one hour shuttle to ylas,oupon arrival we were show the hotel taken to destination Lapland for snow suits and boots (my boots were complete with falling apart insoles which were exchanged on one of our hikes) then taken to our log cabin,we were dropped of first (this became apparent why,we were 15-20 mins trek from hotel) the cabin was superb all amenities provided log fire,sauna,DVD player,stereo,tv,tall dryer,washing machine,hair dryer,dishwasher etc etc etc.
All we needed now was supplies,the supermarket was approx 45 mins away depending on how fast you walk and on ground conditions.then 20 mins back to hotel for what can only be described as food soggy cold chips and some form of Luke warm meat, there was other things to eat but not being too adventurous on first night and some children may not fancycooked salmon or bottled herring my son included meant for three nights tea he had chips only.next day went to santas house my daughters opinion was that he was very grumpy(I thought that was supposed to be one of the seven dwarfs not the magical Santa,you could also bake gingerbread men there if you took a can of pepper spray to fight through the parents who believed the day was for them).3rd day was cancelled due to no snow and icy conditions under foot so the inghams reps did their best to come up with ideas,how about a taxi to Levi a resort up (taxi fare 240 euros return maybe not) a petting zoo 10km away,we did we shared a mini bus with a couple and their son 30 euros return it was ok at best but it passed a couple of hours.4th day we went to hussky farm and reindeer farm in morning in afternoon we went on snowmobiles highlight of trip to date but very very cold for children and exceedingly slow due to lack of snow,evening meal with Santa average.all in all for £3200 the most exciting part of holiday for wife and daughter and many other I fear was wait for it !!!!!!!!!!!! Meeting Peter Andre at airport on flight home
So Santa smile please and once in a lifetime I repeat will be never in a lifetime I'm booking in future
Ps if not for meeting up with Darren kara and kids it would of been snow joke thanks for the laughs acid dancing grandma lol.

Room Tip: Any nearer home
1 Thank kevohello
uk
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Having just come back from "a once in a life time" trip to Lapland..... the clue is in the sentence....
ONCE and never again.....Take plenty of money....you'll need it.
Santa Clause......
We have seen a better Santa clause in Dobbies at Southport and I'm not joking,
Accommodation......
Having been on trip advisor before we left for our holidays, id been reading someone's review of the akas and it was described as a '70's youth hostel' which was spot on...! Having said that we was going to stay in the log cabins and on the off chance prior to the holiday decided to call the hotel to ask the proximity of the cabins to the hotel as we were booking half board at the hotel....that turned out to be the best phone call i ever made...!...ask Kev & Gail & family.....lol....!
the log cabins are situated in the wilderness which are all in different directions from the hotel....it all sounds romantic and secluded which it is however its a 15/20 minute hike in sub zero conditions (ice and snow) in darkness......If your half board that's 4 trips a day everyday with all the family... it can be dangerous if you fall..on the second day one of the parents slipped and had to go to hospital with broken bones.
We stayed in the apartments which are only 25 metres away from the hotel which is more like it, don't get me wrong the apartments and log cabins are all brand new and you cant fault this accommodation however the hotel rooms need updating asap...do not stay in the hotel if you are staying here choose the apartments and if you like danger hiking then choose the log cabins,
the food is poor or satisfactory at best...yes its true there is plenty of it however its warm/cold and tasteless...and the drinks are expensive so take plenty of money... 4 soft drinks in the hotel was 14 euros
Hotel Staff
Cant fault them, friendly and helpful
Ingham s Staff
Cant fault them, friendly and helpful
Snow suits/boots
very warm and really good quality get them cause you'll need them or if your taking your own make sure that they are designed for sub zero conditions....
If your taking the children its advisable to take some kind of flashing L.E.D's that you can attach to them...for safety...its dark the majority of the time in Lapland...we had L.E.D head torches which were ideal for the kids and great for being seen..
My advise is to stay in LEVI as we went here on one day to go to a Santa trip and it looked a much livelier place and everything was in close proximity to each other....
I hope this helps....
regards
Mr lee

Room Tip: If your staying here stay in the apartments...forgot to tell you there is a gym under the apartment...
2 Thank mr l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akaslompolo
Lapland Hotel Yllaskaltio
Levi Hotel Spa
Levi Hotel Spa
#1 of 8 in Levi
Lapland Hotel Sirkantahti
Hotel Hullu Poro (Crazy Reindeer)
Hotel Levi Panorama

Been to Lapland Hotel Akashotelli? Share your experiences!