“Why make us feel so unwelcome”
Review of Les Cols

Les Cols
Ranked #11 of 102 Restaurants in Olot
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 10, 2013

What a disappointment. Clearly the food is well thought out, and we could have forgiven much if we weren't made to feel so unwelcome. Sitting 30 minutes in the glorious architecture before anyone spoke to us is not enough. Arrogant staff who could not be bothered to welcome us, attend to us or explain what we were eating. But the food was really innovative. Please try harder.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

A very magical place similar in style to the nearby hotel. A fixed tasting menu with two options one of which is completely vegetarian. Extremely attentive service and a stylish place where you are made to feel comfortable and relaxed. The food is 2 Michelin stars and the attention to detail is staggering. The tastes are sometimes strange, sometimes amazing but always interesting and visually delightful. Starting with drinks and hors d'ouevres in the garden and ending back there for coffee it took about 2.5 hours but time flew by. I haven't eaten at Michelin starred establishments before and was curious to try it.
It makes for a special night that will live long in the memory.

2  Thank JazzMaverick
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is the kind of restaurant where you end up paying much more than expected even with a fixed-price menu. The food was fair (except for salty risotto clearly unnecessary in the menu), and it annoys the way the service insists persistently in offering you licqours, champagne etc that are not included in the price, even if you say no at first (which I understand is a successful strategy with large groups). This increases largely the bill, and you get the feeling they go for your money -this kind of restaurant shouldn't need this.

1  Thank ToniuTgn
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Not going to go into too much detail because I have too many negatives for each dish but here are the main points:

Pros - Lovely interior and garden. Food texture is interesting and spot on. That's about it.

Cons - no seasoning what so ever to any of the dishes. The food was extremely unimaginative and my family live in the Alt Emporda area so I know what traditional food from la Garrotxa should taste like. One of the course was literally strawberry with cream. Two Michelin stars? Not even one I say. The only course which had some seasoning was over seasoned. The one thing they mastered is texture but the flavour is wrong, plain wrong. Not sure what the other reviews are on about and the only explanation I can see is their own people writing it or possibly people with no taste buds or people who've gone to another restaurant. I mean come on - flavourless Sant Pau beans on a blini with no seasoning? What's the point? Freshly laid hens egg with flavour of tuna infused mayonnaise? Tasted just like the filling of a tuna-mayo sandwich! And I know duck with pear is a tried and tested dish but this one had cookies and other crazy sweet components which should have been on another plate. I was angry leaving that place! Don't even start with service - no fluidity or communication! My friend kept on saying no to a top up of water and 4 people incidentally kept on coming to top it up. Same thing with wine. When there's only 10 tables occupied there is no excuse to memorise the client's preference. Certainly never seen this happen in another restaurant I assure you.

I probably should have known from the clientele entering that this was going to be terrible - an English couple where the girl was wearing hippie dyed trousers and a rugged t-shirt, another pair of clowns in shorts and flip flops. Enough said...

save your money and go somewhere rustic and cheaper. What a disappointment.

6  Thank Yomura
Reviewed April 29, 2013

A two star restaurant in the middle of an industrial area is "wow" in itself. But then you arrive to a different world, one of decor and great taste - another "wow". The service is "wow"tastic, and so is the food. The local products are prepared in a very special way and my wife and I shared several "wow" during our dinner. After desert, we moved to another room for an infusion and then another "wow" experience - visiting the kitchen.

1  Thank SimonyPortugal