“Don't let the cost put you off”
Review of Les Cols Pavellons

Les Cols Pavellons
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Olot
Staffordshire
“Don't let the cost put you off”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This is a unique experience and very different from any other hotel in many ways. The design is very unusual and you feel you have your own private space in a glass pavilion with nature all around yet you are on the edge of town. It's quiet and serene and very relaxing with an almost timeless feel. You arrive and enter a dark reception area with volcanic ash that crunches as you walk on it. The staff are incredibly attentive and thoughtful and speak excellent English. The room is well designed with hidden wardrobes and fridge and plug sockets. The bed is comfortable and there are electrically operated blinds to shut out light. The lighting at night is dim and underneath the glass floor as well as a small spotlight. It's ideal for a romantics break or perhaps a solitary retreat. We stayed 2 nights and dined at the Les Cols restaurant one night which is wonderful also. The breakfasts are served in your room and are fresh wholesome local food and you also get a picnic for lunch and wine. The bathroom area is unusual. A shower with volcanic pebbles on the floor and beyond that a 1 meter deep square bath at floor level which is filled automatically. A steel basin opposite fills automatically as you approach it and you can wash / shave there. Free mineral water in fridge.
Other reviews are right. There are no chairs but a back rest in a cupboard helps you sit on floor. The absence of furniture and clutter adds to the serenity. Go if you want a very magical and special experience. We loved it. You are treated as very special guests and made to feel welcome. Yes it's expensive but so worth it

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JazzMaverick

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our experience with the restaurant was one of the best in Spain. After appetizers and a glass of cava on the patio we were shown to our lovely table. It was truly an amazing lunch! We stayed overnight at the hotel and we were quite disappointed. Minimalism is interesting, but not very practical. There is literally nowhere to sit and enjoy the surroundings. You can only lie flat on the bed. Forget trying to hang up a towel or even use the sink, since there is no running water. You are advised to use bottled water to brush your teeth. Our shower only had scalding hot water, so we left in the morning without even being able to take a shower. We really couldn't wait to get on the road and out of that uncomfortable room. It is certainly unique and it could be fantastic with just a few simple amenities like chairs or coat hooks.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank laurie087
Munich, Germany
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Yes I read a lot about this place, yes it seems like a great idea, great food, and to top it off a really unique place to stay. Reality is simply quite different. Lets start with the service. I get out of the taxi nobody helped with the luggage. I asked the driver to come pick me up at 1330 the next day and the girl who welcomes me told the driver to come pick me up at 12 noon instead. How welcoming!!! I told her but I came all this way from Barcelona just to stay at the hotel I would like to spend a little more time to enjoy the property. She said no but I have to leave at noon because there is nothing here and she is spot on! There really is nothing here. No common area to sit and have a glass of wine and snack or a cup of tea. There are no tables in the garden. She is right. There really is nothing. There is a bed in a glass enclosed space (allegedly where you are and can be in touch with nature and lie in bed and enjoy the change of light). Good on paper but you really can't do this really. There is nothing nowhere to sit comfortably. You eat, sleep on a futon. That's it. How's that for comfort? Bathroom? Oh beautiful but when you try to clean your face there is only a puddle of water. Brush your teeth? Somewhere to hang the towels? And wow the rain shower. Bloody hell the floor is made of pebbles. One can't or at least I could not have imagined such pain while showering. And the only thing you can do is use the towels as foot mats which I am sure all the guests before you did the same thing and just imagine how clean the towels are. They are all in dark green, no way of checking for cleanliness. All in all. I now know what an animal in a zoo feels like except I guess I am more comfortable, after all, I have a bed.
Sorry I digress. So they asked for my passport for check in, I said its in the luggage which they have not yet brought in. They asked me no fewer than six times while showing me the room. I am in the middle of nowhere. Am I going anywhere? Okay I went to the front desk to give them the passport afterwards and to arrange for transportation the next day, and I guess by then I already see that I really do want to leave earlier as the girl suggested. It was 10 degrees outside. I only have a shirt on. Olot was unexpectedly cold that day so i didn't dress warm enough. I asked if I can go into the office because I am freezing. They said no. Again, what nice people!!!
And to top it off, the food is not that good. Don't come, seriously.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
27 Thank rubyyao
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had lunch at the restaurant and then stayed the night in the hotel, and everything was perfect. The food was unbelievable - inventive, unexpected, gorgeous, and insanely delicious, and it kept coming! One of the best meals of my life. The best part of it was after we had finished seemingly 20 courses, they took us outside to the back lawn, laid down a blanket, and let us nap! And it was the best nap of my life! They gently woke us with espressos and dark chocolate. Oh it was magical!

The interiors are beautifully designed - minimal yet luxurious and set in a historic countryside full of lush gardens. It's the ideal mix of new and old. It's very modern and cool and you just are excited to be there. The service is traditional, attentive and friendly. I highly recommend Les Cols for an experience you will never forget!

Room Tip: They are all the same.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank HauteTravelBlog
London
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here for a night and also ate in the restaurant. It really is a unique and special experience. The bathrooms in particular are spectacular. I loved the minimalism of the space, where you are literally living in glass cubes, with a single piece of furniture in the main room (which doubles as either a flat, green couch, or a low bed at night). The trickling water and the ever-changing lighting and reflections do produce a very calming effect. Not sure I could live like that for more than a night or two though - minimalism is not very practical!

Service was excellent, very personal and friendly. We enjoyed a cockail before dinner and the same lady who checked us in brought the drink to the peaceful kitchen garden (and left the bottle of gin which we could have abused, but didn't!). Breakfast was a great selection of local meats, cheeses and bread, and they even give you a little picnic to take on the morning you check out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank sjpoyser
westford
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Great food, atmosphere and staff. We even had a post meal tour of the kitchen. We loved the garden appetizers and then the beautiful dining room. Do check the website as you can see photos of both the restaurant and the new banquet facilities which are over the top. Great wines, we had the tasting menu, many courses and all wonderful. We sat at the long table in the middle of the room, the chairs are an art work themselves but don't let the staff see you rolling down to see your friend. Must have been the wine. Great experience at a wonderful, unique place.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank westford
Barcelona
Reviewed October 2, 2008

The sound of the running water, the clouds moving, the smooth light getting in, the movement of the trees,... A place to be experienced.
There are no words.

A japanese onsen of the XXI century.

Relax and enjoy the poetry of nature!

Stayed September 2008
4 Thank Fileta
Also consider these accommodations in or near Olot
Hotel Riu Olot
#2 of 2 in Joanetes
Hotel Borrell
Hotel Borrell
#4 of 6 in Olot

Been to Les Cols Pavellons? Share your experiences!