“A home from home”

Ranked #4 of 58 Restaurants in Chesham
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We're ten years old, we've evolved along the way...you can see this video from 2008 youtu.be/_0GQ_Tx_Pxw which tells part of the story...and more has happened since. So, come, stay with us a while and experience your own Drawingroom moment!
Chesham, United Kingdom
“A home from home”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My Fiance and I visited Chesham to investigate moving to the town to start a family a couple of years ago. We were drawn to the Drawing Room and after an exhausting day house hunting we felt instantly relaxed, welcome and at home. An interesting and creative place, we also got the impression that this was an inspiring community and musical hub for like minded people and it encouraged us to make the move. We liked the fact that local artist's works and local produce were displayed and on sale.

We were pleasantly surprised as having been enjoying the music and culture of East London for the last few years we were not expecting something so unique and bohemian in such an isolated Buckinghamshire town!

We have been very appreciative of the place since our move and tend to pop in most times we go into town for first class coffee, a glass of wine or some delicious tapas. As vegans we find it hard in Chesham (as in most places) to find somewhere to grab a bite to eat and we are certainly catered for well which is great. We often find ourselves striking up a conversation with visitors and regulars there and so a good place to make new friends.

Richard and his team of staff are always friendly and welcoming, especially with our 16 month old who likes to toddle around and play with the toys/ get into mischief. We were lucky enough to enjoy a few of the amazing folk gigs which take place every other Saturday and even one with the little'un in tow which made for one of the loveliest evenings ever!

We are very fortunate to have world class folk/ acoustic/ singer songwriter artists perform on our doorstep. The atmosphere during gigs is really unique and intimate, it must be a refreshing place to perform especially compared with the larger venues.

Chesham would be a much poorer place if it were not for The Drawingroom. With the inane and impersonal Cafe chains dominating the high streets these days (Chesham being a classic case in point) which tend to stifle local businesses and any creative diversity, the DR really is a golden oasis to be cherished and supported by all :)

4 Thank Phil_the_Billionth
drawingroomrichard, Owner at The Drawingroom, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Phil, What can I say? Thank you goes without saying..what I would like to add is a big thank you for is your observation/comment about the generic corporate chains which push independant businesses like ours to the edge.... and in so doing run the risk of turning everywhere they land into another everywhere town, souless and divided.

100% of the profit either Nero or Costas make leave this community, whereas 100% of the profit we make stays within the community.

I accept we are not just a coffee shop; we are not that unambitious! I must hold onto the notion, that when Chesham no longer generates enough cash for them (eg MacDonalds & Starbucks, who have since departed) they too will be off, whereas we will continue to serve this community to the very best of our care and effort..even if some from the community have not yet worked it out yet.

Sharing your story of how you came to choose Chesham was a delight to read, and feel quite humbled by it; thank you.r

chesham
“cool place”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I have visited the drawing room many times over the years , being back off the main street it gives you time out from the hustle of shopping.
Friendly in atmosphere, Richard often come a sits for chat.
I must recommend going to the music evenings, the artists are so talented to see top quallity musicians play live in such an intimet venue makes for a very special event, it should be applauded that Richard is doing so much to promote new talent.
Lucky to have such a great place in my home town to enjoy and socialise.

Nick t

• Visited March 2013
Hi Nick,(have not worked out who you are) thank you for taking the time toi write...all feed back is valued and appreciated. If you were ever able to grab me and tell me how and where we could exceed your expectations I would be most grateful. Having your support when the market is so tough is vital to small local businesses like ours. So, once again, for your time, support and kind words..please go to the top of the class!
London, United Kingdom
“Another visit to our favorite haunt!”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We visited The Drawing Room last night for a gig and as always it was a superb evening. Pleasant company and stunningly talented musicians. The chicken curry was excellent and the lemon cake makes us come back for more. All in all another perfect way to spend a Saturday night.

2 Thank Buckslady186338
drawingroomrichard, Owner at The Drawingroom, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Bucks Lady..you are and will continue to be most welcome...once again, thank you...and yes, what a fab evening, such a wonderful vibe, great music and yes, I loved to food too....what an amazing group of people I have working with me...lucky me xxr
“Café Culture in the heart of Bucks”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

When I moved across to the UK I had been warned that I would be caffeine celibate for the duration of my stay. Being a Melbournian, and North of the Yarra at that, I take artisan coffee and café culture for granted. When I landed in a sea of Starbucks, Neros, and Costas I resigned myself to endless cups of tea. My brother directed me to The Drawing Room, "We don't go there, but you wear corsets". I couldn't refute that logic. So two days into my transfer I wandered down, ordered a soy latté and braced myself. It was one of my most memorable moments. The coffee was the perfect mix of sweet and bitter, the milk was hot, but not burnt, the milk/coffee ratio was on the money. I had found my place. A young lady asked me if I wanted to eat. I explained that I just wasn't sure what I fancied, could she surprise me? She grinned and brought me back a plate if crumpets, cream cheese and smoked salmon. Correct. It was exactly what I needed. Over the following year I developed a love affair with the chai (Ewa makes the best chai I have ever had), I introduced friends and family (Bianca and I became regular courtyard features, and my über conservative father thinks the Sophia's hot chocolate is heaven in a mug). Richard and Ewa make the Drawing Room what it is: an extension of our home. It was the only (and perfect) alternative to the many pubs, and the addition of evening service and the Tapas and Wine bar has me excited for my return (soon, my lovelies). So please, go down there, get a dog snuggle, grab a hot rock for your hands, a chai for your belly, and enjoy my favourite place. Do it. Do it now.

4 Thank Littleread
Sir, I have been wracking my brains as to who you are and as yet, no idea. What can I say..awesome, thank you. What a tonic is was to read your story...and written on a molbile too!

I cannot find a Bianca in my mailing list(mentioned in your submission) so wondered if your know of it...the mailing list...where I advise of the events we have by night, not just during the day.

Either way, would love to hear from you so I can thank you personally for taking the time to write so generously...best wishes Richard
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“A magical 16th birthday”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Richard,
I want to say a huge thanks to you and your lovely staff for giving my daughter and her friends a truly magical treat. The twinkling lights and the smell of roses as we arrived created such a lovely welcome and the girls thought the Zen Den was absolutely amazing. They loved the food and said it was the best garlic bread they had ever had! I asked my daughter to sum up her experience in three words and she said, 'unique, relaxed and atmospheric'.
Thanks once again,
See you again soon.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank sereta p
drawingroomrichard, Owner at The Drawingroom, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
How very kind. All of these young adults behaved above their years and as such are a credit to themselves and their parents...so the thanks must surely be to them for embracing the opportunity to be treated as adults, which they did.

Manu and Imogen, who were looking after them said how much fun they seemed to be having; I do hope they will come back for more.

Finally, thank you for taking the time out of your busy time to write; yours sincerely, with best wishes
Richard